• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Forum Bible Study On 2 & 3 John

• Members
6 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Wow, Brother "Musician4God1611," that was a bit more detail than I was expecting; however, I wish to commend you for the effort and the contribution.

I'm just happy to be part of the study.

And Bro Markle,

My name is Joshua Middlebrooks, but everyone at my church calls me Bro. M

Edited by Musician4God1611

• Members
8 minutes ago, Musician4God1611 said:

I'm just happy to be part of the study.

And Bro Markle,

My name is Joshua Middlebrooks, but everyone at my church calls me Bro. M

And we are also happy that you have chosen to be a part.

Also, I believe that I shall use "Brother Middlebrooks" from this point forward.  Thank you for that information.  I myself very much prefer to use such terms out of respect for my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

• Members
On 1/22/2016 at 7:30 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet let us begin to consider another set of study questions, as follows:

1.  With the primary themes in mind, what would you give as a general (broad) outline for the epistle of 2 John?

2.  With the primary themes in mind, what would you give as a general (broad) outline for the epistle of 3 John?

My own contribution to the above set of study questions would be as follows:

2 John - Walking in Truth (Title contributed by Brother Middlebrooks)

I.  Love in the Truth (2 John 1:1-6)

A.  The Salutation -- The relationship of unity between godly love and Biblical truth (2 John 1:1-4)

B.  The Message, Part 1 -- The responsibility of walking in godly love and Biblical truth (2 John 1:5-6)

II.  The Message, Part 2 -- Separating from Falsehood (2 John 1:7-11)

A(1).  The revelation of the nature of falsehood through description (2 John 1:7)

B(1).  The requirement to reject falsehood through self-examination (2 John 1:8)

A(2).  The revelation of the nature of falsehood through contrast (2 John 1:9)

B(2).  The requirement to reject falsehood through separation (2 John 1:10-11)

III.  The Conclusion (2 John 1:12-13)

3 John - Faithful to the Truth (Title contributed by Brother Middlebrooks)

I.  The Salutation -- Walking in the Truth (3 John 1:1-4)

A.  A motivation for prayer (3 John 1:1-2)

B.  A motivation for joy (3 john 1:3-4)

II.  The Message, Part 1 -- Charity toward Traveling Ministers (3 John 1:5-8)

A.  As a faithful servant of the Lord (3 John 1:5-6)

B.  As a fellowhelper of the truth (3 John 1:7-8)

III.  The Message, Part 2 -- The Evil of Loving to Have Preeminence (3 John 1:9-12)

A.  In conflict with the Lord's authority (3 John 1:9-10)

B.  In contrast to that which is good (3 John 1:11-12)

IV.  The Conclusion (3 John 1:13-14)

Since there have been so few contributions in answer to the second set of study questions, I shall wait until Monday before presenting the third set of study questions.

• Members

First, I do apologize for not presenting the third set of study questions yesterday, as I had said that I would.  Time was restricted (1) because of unplanned home responsibilities that arose, and (2) because of my involvement in some other thread discussions.  Indeed, allowing myself to become embroiled in other thread discussions and conflicts will place pressure upon a consistent engagement in this Bible study thread.  However, I am determined (as long as our Lord will allow) that this Bible study thread shall NOT die!!!

Thus far we have considered "overview" material concerning the epistles of 2 & 3 John.  As such, we have accumulated the following contributions:

2 John - Walking in Truth (Title contributed by Brother Middlebrooks)

I.  Love in the Truth (2 John 1:1-6)

A.  The Salutation -- The relationship of unity between godly love and Biblical truth (2 John 1:1-4)

(Verse by verse assessment contributed by Brother Middlebrooks)

V. 1 – To whom the epistle is intended (all they that have known the truth).

V. 1 – The criteria of love (love in truth).

V. 2 – The duration of truth (for ever).

V. 2-3 – The blessing of love and truth (grace, mercy, peace).

V. 4 – The evidence of truth (walking in truth).

V. 4 – The command of truth (from Christ).

B.  The Message, Part 1 -- The responsibility of walking in godly love and Biblical truth (2 John 1:5-6)

V. 5 – Love, the unchanging command (not a new commandment).

V. 5 – Who we are to love (one another).

V. 6 – Love explained (this is love…).

V. 6 – The motive behind truth (love).

V. 6 – The unchanging truth (as ye have heard from the beginning).

V. 6 – Walk in love (this is the commandment…ye should walk in it).

II.  The Message, Part 2 -- Separating from Falsehood (2 John 1:7-11)

A(1).  The revelation of the nature of falsehood through description (2 John 1:7)

V. 7 – The abundance of deceivers.

V. 7 – The identity of deceivers (antichrist).

B(1).  The requirement to reject falsehood through self-examination (2 John 1:8)

V. 8 – How we ought to respond (look to yourselves).

V. 8 – What is at stake (those things which we have wrought, a full reward).

A(2).  The revelation of the nature of falsehood through contrast (2 John 1:9)

V. 9 – The test of falsehood (whosoever transgresseth, abideth not in the doctrine).

V. 9 – The authority of truth (he that abideth…hath both the Father and the Son).

B(2).  The requirement to reject falsehood through separation (2 John 1:10-11)

V. 10 – Keeping company with deceivers (Don’t receive him, don’t bid him God speed).

V. 11 – The results of keeping company with deceivers (guilty by association).

III.  The Conclusion (2 John 1:12-13)

3 John - Faithful to the Truth (Title contributed by Brother Middlebrooks)

I.  The Salutation -- Walking in the Truth (3 John 1:1-4)

A.  A motivation for prayer (3 John 1:1-2)

B.  A motivation for joy (3 john 1:3-4)

II.  The Message, Part 1 -- Charity toward Traveling Ministers (3 John 1:5-8)

A.  As a faithful servant of the Lord (3 John 1:5-6)

B.  As a fellowhelper of the truth (3 John 1:7-8)

III.  The Message, Part 2 -- The Evil of Loving to Have Preeminence (3 John 1:9-12)

A.  In conflict with the Lord's authority (3 John 1:9-10)

B.  In contrast to that which is good (3 John 1:11-12)

IV.  The Conclusion (3 John 1:13-14)

With the next set of study questions, I do intend that we should begin to consider sentence-by-sentence the doctrinal and exhortational details of 2 John.  However, before we move to those details, I wish to present one more set of study questions concerning the "overview" of these two epistles.  That set of study questions is as follows:

1.  As we consider an "overview" of these epistles, are there any preliminary thoughts that you would share concerning the doctrine or exhortation of these epistles?

• Members

I would like to point out that these are exhortations to Christians about how they should look to themselves. This is not something that we use to "be preachy" to others, this is not something we use as a spring board to exalt ourselves. This is, in a sense, a mirror. Let's keep that in mind as we examine ourselves in light of the truth.

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:22 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

1.  As we consider an "overview" of these epistles, are there any preliminary thoughts that you would share concerning the doctrine or exhortation of these epistles?

First, I wish to thank Brother Middlebrooks for his contribution to this Bible study question.

Second, I wish to present my contribution thereto, as follows:

1.  It is interesting to me that both of the epistles are structured in a similar fashion -- (1) That both begin with an expanded salutation, wherein John closely units the importance of godly love and Biblical truth, (2) That both proceed with two parts to the main message, wherein the first part focuses upon the spiritual positive of godly love for the sake of the truth, and wherein the second part contrasts with the first by presenting a warning against the evils of falsehood (either in doctrine or in practice), (3) That both end with an expression of desire to visit and to "speak face to face."

2.  It is interesting to me that both of the epistles are written to individual believers, not to an entire church, or even to specific church leadership, with 2 John being written to a believing lady (and her children) and with 3 John being written to a believing man.  This appears to emphasize the importance of spiritual character in and of spiritual edification for individual believers, including both women and men.

3.  It is interesting to me how the first half of both epistles emphasizes the tightly joined unity between a walk in Biblical truth and in godly love, thereby revealing that these two spiritually positive characteristics are NOT in contradiction or even competition with one another.

4.  It is interesting to me how the second half of both epistles then emphasizes the importance of separation from falsehood (in either doctrine or practice), thereby revealing that a correct walk in Biblical truth and godly love does NOT contradict Biblical separation, but establishes a spiritual foundation for Biblical separation.

It is my intention to give a few more days for contributions to the above study question, then to present the next set of Bible study questions on either Thursday or Friday (as the Lord permits).  With the next set of study questions, we will be starting to consider the doctrinal and edificational details of 2 John, section by section and sentence by sentence.

• Members

It is now time in our Bible study to set our focus upon the doctrinal and edificational details of 2 John.

As we begin, we find that 2 John is written in the common pattern of that day, including the salutation (2 John 1:1-3), the message (2 John 1:4-11), and the conclusion (2 John 1:12-13).  Then as we narrow our focus further, we find that the opening salutation is also written in the common pattern of that time, including the author, the recipients, and the greeting.  Yet we also find that the apostle John provided a more expanded presentation concerning the recipients.  However, even before we set our focus upon this expanded presentation, we take notice of the opening line itself -- "The elder unto the elect lady and her children."  With this line we are moved to consider the relationships unto which we are introduced by the opening salutation.  I myself would present these relationships as follows:

1.  The Relationship of Spiritual Respect -- "The elder"

2.  The Relationship of Eternal Security -- "The elect lady"

3.  The Relationship of Successful Parenting -- "And her children" (See also 2 John 1:4)

4.  The Relationship of Godly Love -- "Whom I love in the truth"

5.  The Relationship of Christian Unity -- "And not I only, but also all they that have known the truth"

6.  The Relationship of Righteous Testimony -- "For the truth's sake"

7.  The Relationship of Divine Indwelling -- "Which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"

First, with this in mind I would present the next set of Bible study questions:

1.  Do you see any other relationships that we should consider from this opening salutation?

2.  What edification and exhorational thoughts would you share concerning these relationships?

Furthermore, as we consider the opening line of 2 John, we are also brought to our first interpretational questions:

1.  What is the nature of "the elect lady and her children," and what evidences would you provide for your answer?  That is -- is the phrase, "the elect lady and her children," to be taken literally as a reference unto an individual believing lady and her children, or is the phrase to be taken figuratively as a reference unto a church body and its membership?

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Furthermore, as we consider the opening line of 2 John, we are also brought to our first interpretational questions:

1.  What is the nature of "the elect lady and her children," and what evidences would you provide for your answer?  That is -- is the phrase, "the elect lady and her children," to be taken literally as a reference unto an individual believing lady and her children, or is the phrase to be taken figuratively as a reference unto a church body and its membership?

Concerning this first interpretational question from 2 John 1:1 –

My own position is that the phrase, “the elect lady,” was a literal reference unto a believing lady, not a figurative reference unto a church.  My reasons are as follows:

1.  I believe that it is best to take the statements of Scripture literally unless there is a compelling contextual reason to do otherwise.  In this case I do not see anything in the context of 2 John that would compel me to view “the elect lady” as a figurative reference unto a church.

2.  In 2 John 1:5 the apostle John appears to speak unto this “elect lady” in an individual manner.

3.  In 2 John 1:10-11 the apostle John appears to speak concerning the houses of individuals, not the “house” of the church.

4.  In 2 John 1:13 the apostle John makes reference unto the children of this elect lady’s “elect sister,” indicating that they were sending their greeting unto the “elect lady.”  If “the elect lady” is to be viewed figuratively as a church, then the “elect sister” is to be viewed figuratively as a “sister” church.  However, if this is the case, since only the “elect sister’s” children sent greetings, and not the “elect sister” herself, then we would understanding that only some of the members of the “sister” church were sending their greetings, but not the “sister” church as a whole.  Such a view seems out of character for this context.

Are there any other thoughts, either in favor or in opposition, concerning this matter.

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

It is now time in our Bible study to set our focus upon the doctrinal and edificational details of 2 John.

As we begin, we find that 2 John is written in the common pattern of that day, including the salutation (2 John 1:1-3), the message (2 John 1:4-11), and the conclusion (2 John 1:12-13).  Then as we narrow our focus further, we find that the opening salutation is also written in the common pattern of that time, including the author, the recipients, and the greeting.  Yet we also find that the apostle John provided a more expanded presentation concerning the recipients.  However, even before we set our focus upon this expanded presentation, we take notice of the opening line itself -- "The elder unto the elect lady and her children."  With this line we are moved to consider the relationships unto which we are introduced by the opening salutation.  I myself would present these relationships as follows:

1.  The Relationship of Spiritual Respect -- "The elder"

2.  The Relationship of Eternal Security -- "The elect lady"

3.  The Relationship of Successful Parenting -- "And her children" (See also 2 John 1:4)

4.  The Relationship of Godly Love -- "Whom I love in the truth"

5.  The Relationship of Christian Unity -- "And not I only, but also all they that have known the truth"

6.  The Relationship of Righteous Testimony -- "For the truth's sake"

7.  The Relationship of Divine Indwelling -- "Which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"

First, with this in mind I would present the next set of Bible study questions:

2.  What edification and exhorational thoughts would you share concerning these relationships?

Concerning the Relationship of Spiritual Respect – “The elder.”

The word “elder” is used in the New Testament both concerning those who are older in age (see 1 Timothy 5:1-2; 1 Peter 5:5) and concerning one who is in role of spiritual leadership (see Acts 14:23; 20:17; 1 Timothy 5:17-19; 1 Peter 5:1).  Now, at the time that the apostle John wrote this epistle, he certainly would have been an older man in age.  However, although his use of the term “elder” for himself certainly would have reminded “the elect lady and her children” of his older age, employing the term “elder” for his position as an apostle and spiritual leader would seem to be more in context with his writing of this epistle under the inspirational authority of God the Holy Spirit.  (Even more so, his use of the term “elder” in the context of 3 John seems to emphasize his authority as an apostle and spiritual leader, such that he might confront the ungodly leadership of another church.)

Even so, the opening two words of 2 John 1:1, “the elder,” would move us to consider the spiritual respect that is Biblically appropriate for those whom the Lord our God has placed in spiritual leadership over us.

1.  The Respect of Spiritual Fellowship

2 Thessalonians 5:12 – “And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you . . .”

2.  The Respect of Honoring Love

2 Thessalonians 5:13 – “. . . And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake.  And be at peace among yourselves.”

1 Timothy 5:17 – “Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.”

3.  The Respect of Godly Following

Hebrews 13:7 – “Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.”

1 Corinthians 11:1 – “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.”

4.  The Respect of Obedient Submission

Hebrews 13:17 – “Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.”

5.  The Respect of Faithful Prayer

Romans 15:30 – “Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ’s sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me.”

Ephesians 6:18-19 – “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; and for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel.”

Colossians 4:3-4 – “Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.”

6.  The Respect of Helpful Labor

Romans 16:1-2 – “I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.”

Romans 16:3 – “Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus.”

Romans 16:6 – “Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.”

7.  The Respect of Personal Sacrifice

Romans 16:4 – “Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.”

8.  The Respect of Material Support

1 Timothy 5:17-18 – “Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.  For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn.  And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.”

1 Corinthians 9:14 – “Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.”

Galatians 6:6 – “Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.”

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎21 at 7:01 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Concerning this first interpretational question from 2 John 1:1

My own position is that the phrase, “the elect lady,” was a literal reference unto a believing lady, not a figurative reference unto a church.  My reasons are as follows:

1.  I believe that it is best to take the statements of Scripture literally unless there is a compelling contextual reason to do otherwise.  In this case I do not see anything in the context of 2 John that would compel me to view “the elect lady” as a figurative reference unto a church.

2.  In 2 John 1:5 the apostle John appears to speak unto this “elect lady” in an individual manner.

3.  In 2 John 1:10-11 the apostle John appears to speak concerning the houses of individuals, not the “house” of the church.

4.  In 2 John 1:13 the apostle John makes reference unto the children of this elect lady’s “elect sister,” indicating that they were sending their greeting unto the “elect lady.”  If “the elect lady” is to be viewed figuratively as a church, then the “elect sister” is to be viewed figuratively as a “sister” church.  However, if this is the case, since only the “elect sister’s” children sent greetings, and not the “elect sister” herself, then we would understanding that only some of the members of the “sister” church were sending their greetings, but not the “sister” church as a whole.  Such a view seems out of character for this context.

Are there any other thoughts, either in favor or in opposition, concerning this matter.

I agree.  As I read I felt this was a personal letter, not one addressed to a church.  You bring out very good points!

• Members

I wish to express thanks for the various "likes" and responses.  I was praying that it had not, but I was wondering if this thread was dead (shame on me).  Your "likes" and responses have revealed a positive answer.  Than you all, again.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
On ‎2016‎年‎2‎月‎27‎日 at 4:17 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

On the other hand, since the word “elect” is used in 2 John 1:1 as an adjective for the believing lady of the verse, it does move us to focus our attention upon the benefits and blessings of election for this believing lady and for all believers.  What is the benefit of being an “elect” individual?  The great benefit of election is eternal security.

The benefits and blessings of salvation, election, and the other promises of God in the scriptures are wonderful. Thank you for bringing this aspect of our salvation to our attention and study.

Verse 1b says, "... but also all they that have known the truth." The truth, the Lord Jesus, and the truth of the scriptures, are all encompassing. This applies primarily to the believers in the elect lady and her fellowship of believers, but the Apostle John includes all of the believers throughout the history of the church. And, it encompasses those who have accepted the doctrinal truth of the scriptures. I appreciate you bringing the words of the Lord Jesus, John 17:11-19, concerning the truth and sanctification, to our attention. That is a blessing to all of us in our age.

But, as John proceeds in these two epistles, it excludes those who rejected the doctrinal truths contained in the scriptures; i.e., the deceivers, verse 7-11. The deceivers and their beliefs are considered, "evil deeds." And, John further extends this warning to add one person in particular, Diotrephes, in 2 John 9.