• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

JEREMIAH 49... I don't see a lot of eschatology being discussed here (other than the millennial kingdom) recently... so I decided to go out on a limb and start a discussion about Jeremiah 49.  I wanted to focus on the specific passages of 35-39, and most specifically upon verse 36. 

"And upon Elam will I bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, and will scatter them toward all those winds; and there shall be no nation whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come."

SOMETHING is going to happen in Iran (specifically where Elam used to be which is in what is now Iran).
It is an area ***"stretching from the lowlands of what is now Khuzestan and Ilam Province as well as a small part of southern Iraq." (*** land description taken from wikipedia... see also map below) 

I realize that Persia is also listed in Ezekiel 38-39 as one of the nations which is included in the confederacy against Israel.  I do not think it is likely that is part of Ezekiel's prophecy in ch. 38-39, but I do think it COULD precede it, and possibly be a factor in why Persia is listed in the Ezekiel 38-39 confederacy (although the reasons for Ez. 38-39 are more about "taking a spoil")

So back to Jeremiah 49

SOMETHING will happen to cause THIS: 
"... I bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, 
and will scatter them toward all those winds; and there shall be no nation
whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come." 

My thought is that it's possible that Iran will attempt to attack Israel. Israel will defend herself and isn't it amazing that the Bushehr site in Iran
 (the very site the nuclear reactor is located) is smack dab in the area where Elam was? 

Not saying it HAS TO happen that way... and I'm not saying the event HAS to be nuclear... I am just that it COULD happen that way.
Whatever happens the Lord will be in control of the situation. It does not have to be nuclear, it could be any number of events...and it will be of God's will.
Whatever happens (nuclear or not) will cause these things to happen (which have not YET happened to a total fulfillment in history):
1. The Lord "will bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven,"
2. "and will scatter them toward all those winds;" 
3. "and there shall be no nation whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come."

History tells us that Elam was conquered by the Assyrian empire and then later by the Medo-Persian empire.However, that did not drive out all of those people who lived there, but instead they were then under the control of the Medo-Persian empires control, but most continued to live in that same area of land (even though under the rulership of the Medo-Persian empire).
So I do not believe that being conquered by the Medo-Persian empire fulfills this prophecy since they were not driven off the land, they were not scattered to the 4 quarters, and they haven't (yet) been scattered to all nations.
Elam is now a part of modern-day Iran. (and in that part of Iran there is a nuclear reactor as well as current plans for the Iranians to build more) I conclude these verses are future events (possibly soon).

I also would further conclude that verses 38-39 will be fulfilled at an even later time (the millennial reign) because there certainly is NOT a throne of the Lord in Elam, nor has there ever been in past history.
The only other place in the Bible that a (future) earthly throne of the Lord is mentioned is in reference to Jerusalem. So while I do not claim to have any idea exactly what the throne of the Lord in Elam will be... nor the reason why... I do believe it is true, because the word of God IS true!

Every past prophecy which was fulfilled was fulfilled exactly as prophecied, to the letter,
Which means all future prophecy will also be fulfilled exactly as prophecied. 
I am only giving my opinion of what COULD cause them to be scattered to the 4 quarters, and scattered unto every nation.
That said... God cannot be boxed into "logical human reasoning" because His ways are far above our ways.
So I am not stating it HAS to be a nuclear event... it is just a possibility of what could occur to cause such a scattering.

35 "Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Behold, I will break the bow of Elam, the chief of their might.
36 "And upon Elam will I bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, and will scatter them toward all those winds; and there shall be no nation whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come.
37 "For I will cause Elam to be dismayed before their enemies, and before them that seek their life: and I will bring evil upon them, even my fierce anger, saith the Lord; and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them:
38 "And I will set my throne in Elam, and will destroy from thence the king and the princes, saith the Lord.
39 "But it shall come to pass in the latter days, that I will bring again the captivity of Elam, saith the Lord.

map image (taken from wikipedia) for the location of where Elam was:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elam#/media/File:Elam_Map.jpg

What say ye all?

Elam_Map.jpg

Edited by Ronda
spelling