• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Kingdom

• Members
1 hour ago, Ronda said:

And in Gen 6:4 these "sons of God" "came in unto the daughters of men", and they procreated, "bare children to them", I believe it was an abomination to the Lord and He needed to wipe out that evilness from the face of the earth.

Where do you get that from?   God destroyed the world in the flood because it was full of violence.

Luke 3:38  Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

• Members

Brethren,

I have been following this thread and have not responded for a few reasons.

1. John Young covered this issue of Genesis 6:1-7 very throughly in his thread, "The sons of God were not Angels."

Here is that link: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23268-the-sons-of-god-are-not-the-angels/#comment-403605

2. I completley agree with Pastor Markle and his interpretation. Pastor markle is doing an excellent job and I do not want to detract from his teaching.

3. I had already made a passing remark on this issue in the Revelation thread.

Here is that link: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23115-revelation-chapter-19-22-study/?page=3

4. This thread was originally concerning, "The Kingdom," now it is on Genesis 6:1-9; "The sons of God and angels." Maybe we got off-topic? :15huh: 

Edited by Alan
added reason # 4

• Moderators

Still not understanding how people take the simple, stand-alone phrase, "And there were giants in those days;" to mean anything other than "There were giants in those days."

Chances are, EVERYONE were giants. I have speculated that people who have 'gigantism', are actually a throwback to that giant-potential that we all have in our DNA. Notice that people with gigantism often continue to grow through their normally short lives. Why? If they lived say 200 years, 500 years, might they stop growing much later than their 'normal' short fellows?

See, I believe that the potential is there in everyone. That when we lived 800-900 years, we didn't stop growing at 18-20 like we do now, but maybe 50-60-100 years. But see, today, people who have gigantism suffer because of the difference in the atmospheric pressure and oxygen content today, and so their bodies can't handle the size. But when there was 50% more oxygen, they COULD survive much heartier.

And in the context, the wording does not attach the giants to the sons of God and daughters of Men, specifically. It is a statement in itself, and then a statement about the SOG and DOM and their offspring, but is says "And also after that," clearly separate.   

• Members

And in the context, the wording does not attach the giants to the sons of God and daughters of Men, specifically. It is a statement in itself, and then a statement about the SOG and DOM and their offspring, but is says "And also after that," clearly separate.

Yes, the 'giants' clause, in Genesis 6:4 is followed by a semicolon, meaning it's separate but related. Remember that Moses was writing this prior to the Israelites' entering Canaan. "Giants" were greatly feared militarily at that time whereas today, size of a soldier is not an issue. But as a pre-Canaan-dwelling Israelite might read this Genesis 6:4 account, the mention of the "giants" would have the same effect that the "evil report" did in Numbers 13:32-33: It was about military might. The "also after that" clause which follows the semicolon, is definitely telling us that God's people were aligning themselves in response to the existence of these giants. I think they were making political alliances with the world(marrying the daughters of men) growing very large tribes/nations(all the "begetting" in Genesis 5) and becoming economically and militarily powerful in response to the threat and violence of the time. Maybe there was an "arms race" like in modern times.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Sister Ronda,

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, Ronda said:

The word "N'filiym" is related to the verb series "to fall" (naphal) in Hebrew. It also denotes a "bully" or "tyrant."

Actually, the etymology for the Hebrew noun "n'philiym" is somewhat uncertain.  However, the best possibility is (as you indicated) the word family of the Hebrew verb "naphal."  Indeed, the basic meaning of the Hebrew verb "naphal" is "to fall," with usages such as "to fall down, to fall away, to fall upon, to fall out, etc."  The noun form of "n'philiym" appears then either to carry the meaning of "those who have fallen away in rebellion and apostasy" or of "those who fall upon others with attacking and violence."

However, it is NOT the same word used in describing Goliath Nowhere in the account pertaining to Goliath (in 1 Sam. 17, 1 Sam. 21, 1 Sam. 22, 2 Sam. 21, nor 1 Chron. 20... all in reference to Goliath) do we see the term "N'filiym" used as a desription of Goliath.
(Even though Goliath also fell , when David slew him,  and Goliath also was a "tyrant/bully", yet the word "N'filiym" is NOT used to describe Goliath.)

I am not exactly certain as to why you brought Goliath into the discussion, since I did not at all mention Goliath, but did only reference those Old Testament passages wherein the Hebrew noun "n'philiym" is to be found (that is -- only in Genesis 6:4 and in Numbers 13:33).

However, in Numbers 13:33 we see something here that we don't see in Gen 6:4:

In numbers 13:33 "haN'filiym B'ney anaq min-haN'filiym". There the "min" prior to the "haN'filiym" denotes a likeness to or like unto a Nephilim.
So "haN'filiym" is not the same as "min-haN'filiym"...
My understanding is that Gen.6:4 means "nephilim" and Numbers 13:33 means "like a nephilim" (or similar in appearance to a nephilim)

The problem with your above presentation is that the Hebrew noun "n'philiym" is employed TWICE in Numbers 13:33.  Now, with the second of these times the prepositional prefix "min" is indeed included.  However, with the first of these times that prepositional prefix is NOT included with the word, which means that your distinction between the terminology of Genesis 6:4 and Numbers 13:33 is NOT valid.  In Genesis 6:4 God's Word indicates, "There were giants ["n'philiym" without the prefix "min"] in the earth in those days."  The opening statement of Numbers 13:33 reveals the report of the spies that they saw in the land of Canaan "the giants [also "n'philiym" without the prefix "min"]."  The comparison of the Hebrew terminology in these two statements does NOT indicate that what the spies saw in the land of Canaan was something similar to that which existed at the time of Genesis 6:4.  Rather, the comparison of the Hebrew terminology in these two statements indicates that what the spies saw in the land of Canaan was the exact same thing as that which existed at the time of Genesis (however those "n'philiym" are to be defined). 

So then, what is the meaning of the Hebrew noun "n'philiym," that includes the prepositional prefix "min," in its second usage in Numbers 13:33?  On the one hand, grammatically the first usage of the Hebrew noun "n'philiym" in Numbers 13:33 serves as the direct object for the verb "saw."  On the other hand, grammatically the second usage of the Hebrew noun "n'philiym" in Numbers 13:33, with which the prepositional prefix "min" is included, serves as the object of the preposition "min."  As such, grammatically the prepositional phrase "min-n'philiym" serves as an adjective phrase that modifies the phrase, "the sons of Anak."  Now, the Hebrew preposition "min" is related to the Hebrew noun "men," which carries the basic meaning of "a part of, a portion of."  Even so, the basic meaning for the Hebrew preposition "min" is "out of, out from, away from;" and this preposition indicates, not a similar likeness, but a part (sub-set) out of, out from, away from the whole.  Therefore, the meaning of the Hebrew prepositional phrase "min-n'philiym" ("of the giants") in Numbers 13:33, being a modifier for the phrase, "the sons of Anak," indicates that "the sons of Anak" were a sub-set part out of the whole set of the "n'philiym"  ("the giants").  As such, this does NOT indicate "the sons of Anak" were similar with a likeness to the "n'philiym."  Rather, this indicates that "the sons of Anak" were A VERY PART OF the "n'philiym."  Thus God's own Word reveals that the "n'philiym" still existed at the time of Numbers 13:33.

The word  "N'filiym" is related to the verb series "to fall" (naphal) in Hebrew. And so I would ask to fall from what?

Yet as I have presented above the possible connection of the Hebrew noun "n'philiym" to the Hebrew verb "naphal" provides two possibilities for its meaning -- either (1)  "those who have fallen away in rebellion and apostasy" or (2) "those who fall upon others with attacking and violence."  Therefore, before you can legitimately discard one of these possibilities, it is necessary that you should demonstrate through grammatical, contextual, or Biblical evidence that one of the possibilities is more favorable than the other.  Now, I myself would contend that the matter of violence is more central to the contexts of both Genesis 6:4 and Numbers 13:33, than is the matter of rebellion.  Furthermore, I would contend that the inclusion of Numbers 13:32 as the context for Numbers 13:33 actually reveals that being of "a great stature" IS the primary thrust of the noun "n'philiym," not being in a "fallen" condition.

So my conclusion in why I believe they (the nephilim of Gen. 4:6) no longer exist is this: They were wiped out in the flood.

And my conclusion that "giants" (such as Goliath) still existed after the flood, and people such as those in the land of Canaan which the Israelies spied out) were not actually nephilim ("haN'filiym") but were like-unto (similar in appearance and stature) in Numbers 13:33 "min-haN'filiym" The "min" being an important adjective in this case.

Except that "min" is not a Hebrew adjective, but is a Hebrew preposition, even as I have presented above.  Except that this Hebrew preposition does NOT mean "similar, like," but means a part "out of, out from, away from" the whole, even as I have presented above.  Except that in its first usage Numbers 13:33 DOES use the Hebrew noun "n'philiym" without the preposition prefix "min," in order to describe those whom the spies saw in the land of Canaan.

Sister Ronda, I wish graciously to point out that while you have attempted to demonstrate a distinct difference between the Hebrew "n'philiym" and "min-n'philiym," you have actually revealed a complete misunderstanding concerning Hebrew grammar.  Furthermore, I would present that the original translators of the King James translation were far, far, far, far superior to myself in their understanding of the Hebrew; and that which they translated in both Genesis 6:4 and Numbers 13:33 does provide a precisely accurate rendering in English, including the usage of the English word "giants" for both verses.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
6 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Still not understanding how people take the simple, stand-alone phrase, "And there were giants in those days;" to mean anything other than "There were giants in those days."

The original Hebrew word is nephilim.  The (Greek) Septuagint translated nephilim to gigantes (as well as the Latin Vulgate). Gigantes does not strictly mean "giant", but rather great strength and aggression. Perhaps it would have been better to just leave the Hebrew word "untranslated" rather than use the Septuagint to aid in the translation.  Sons of God mated with human women and produced nephilim.  Pretty straight-forward to me and I don't have to "wrestle" with the scriptures like Augustine and the early Catholic Church.

Edited by beameup

• Members
1 minute ago, beameup said:

The original Hebrew word is nephilim.  The (Greek) Septuagint translated nephilim to gigantes (as well as the Latin Vulgate). Gigantes does not mean "giant".  It would been better to just leave the Hebrew word "untranslated" rather than use the Septuagint to aid in the translation.  Sons of God mated with human women and produced nephilim.  Pretty straight-forward to me and I don't have to "wrestle" with the scriptures like Augustine and the early Catholic Church.

And the original Hebrew word "nephilim" ("n'philiym") is also found in Numbers 13:33, where the joining context of Numbers 13:32 indicates that these individuals were defined as "men [men, not hybrids] of a great stature."  Which truth I have presented in earlier posting in this very thread; however, it must be remembered that Brother "Beameup" has blocked my postings from his observation and awareness.

• Members

Back to the OP

Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.  Exodus 19:5-6

ezekielland_mil.gif

• Members
3 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

And the original Hebrew word "nephilim" ("n'philiym") is also found in Numbers 13:33, where the joining context of Numbers 13:32 indicates that these individuals were defined as "men [men, not hybrids] of a great stature."  Which truth I have presented in earlier posting in this very thread; however, it must be remembered that Brother "Beameup" has blocked my postings from his observation and awareness.

So are you saying that born again Christians (aka sons of God) marrying and having children with unsaved women (aka daughters of men) will produce offspring 9 to 15 feet tall?  Because that's the stature of the giants in the bible.

Edited by Critical Mass

• Members

The sons of God did not produce the giants; they were contemporaries with them. The only recorded height of a giant, in the Word of God is "six cubits and a span". A cubit is distance from your elbow to the tip of your finger, which is an average of about 18" and a "span" is the width of your open-stretched hand, which is about 8" I think.. This would make Goliath around 9' 8" tall. The only other person in recorded history which compared to that was Robert Wadlow, who stood 8' 11" and was still growing when .he died at age 22. So the height of 9" 8" is not far-fetched, but 15 definitely is.

• Members
4 hours ago, beameup said:

Back to the OP

Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.  Exodus 19:5-6

ezekielland_mil.gif

Note that their is no mention of "priest", "priests", or "priesthood" in any of the Epistles of Paul, the Apostle to the Gentiles.

Stealing someone else' promises (Israel) and misapplying them to yourself (Body of Christ) is false-teaching.

And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.  Exodus 19:6a

• Members
Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel: And I was with thee whithersoever thou wentest, and have cut off all thine enemies out of thy sight, and have made thee a great name, like unto the name of the great men that are in the earth. Moreover I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime,  2 Samuel 7:8-10
Edited by beameup

• Moderators
16 hours ago, beameup said:

The original Hebrew word is nephilim.  The (Greek) Septuagint translated nephilim to gigantes (as well as the Latin Vulgate). Gigantes does not strictly mean "giant", but rather great strength and aggression. Perhaps it would have been better to just leave the Hebrew word "untranslated" rather than use the Septuagint to aid in the translation.  Sons of God mated with human women and produced nephilim.  Pretty straight-forward to me and I don't have to "wrestle" with the scriptures like Augustine and the early Catholic Church.

God created each creature to reproduce after their kind. Angels, fallen or otherwise, and humans are of different kinds, created with different purposes, and do not reproduce. I'm sorry, they do not, they cannot.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, beameup said:

Note that their is no mention of "priest", "priests", or "priesthood" in any of the Epistles of Paul, the Apostle to the Gentiles.

Stealing someone else' promises (Israel) and misapplying them to yourself (Body of Christ) is false-teaching.

And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.  Exodus 19:6a

"John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne; And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." (Rev 1:4-6)  Written by John the Apostle to the churches. Kings and priests.

"And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth." (Rev 5:9&10)  Those redeemed of God from ALL kindred and tongue and people and nation, made kings and priests, to reign on the earth."  

Israel was made to be a holy nation, a nation of kings and priests to God, and so they were for some 1500 years until Christ came and they rejected their Messiah.   This is not to say all promises have been taken away from them-certainly there will be a remnant saved of Israel, but that promise to be a nation of kings and priests was given and fulfilled, and subsequently rejected by them when they rejected the expected Messiah.