• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Were old testament believers indwelt?

• Members
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Ephesians 1:13
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:30
Members of the Body of Christ are SEALED with the Holy Spirit.

• Members

Does anyone actually read the bible cover from cover or just take verses out to prove their doctrine. No way, if you have read the bible from cover to cover, can you say the OT saints were indwelt and sealed by the abiding Holy Ghost being baptized into the body of Christ and born again of the Spirit of God through his Son's blood. No way.

Edited by Critical Mass

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:21 PM, Critical Mass said:

Does anyone actually read the bible cover from cover or just take verses out to prove their doctrine. No way, if you have read the bible from cover to cover, can you say the OT saints were indwelt and sealed by the abiding Holy Ghost being baptized into the body of Christ and born again of the Spirit of God through his Son's blood. No way.

On the other hand, I myself would say that if you have read the Bible from cover to cover, and if you truly understand the doctrine of Biblical regeneration, you could NOT say that Old Testament believers were not regenerated, but that they served the Lord as they did while still being dead unto God spiritually "in trespasses and sins."

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
On 1/21/2016 at 8:03 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

As you may be aware, I myself DO believe that Old Testament believers WERE INDEED regenerated (born again)

16 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

On the other hand, I myself would say that if you have read the Bible from cover to cover, and if you truly understand the doctrine of Biblical regeneration, you could say that Old Testament believers were not regenerated, but that they served the Lord as they did while still being dead unto God spiritually "in trespasses and sins."

??? Sorry, but I can't reconcile one statement with the other. Please explain, if you have time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And brother Jim... I thank you again for your detailed answer, as I wasn't sure exactly what you were saying before you took the time to explain in detail.  I also do think that the entire topic does have a relational value, and/or a comparative/contrasting value. The Holy Spirit in the age of grace compared/contrasted with the spirit in the OT. I'm beginning to see that what one believes about the OT spirit has a direct relational value to what one believes about the Holy Spirit in the age of grace. So rather than dragging it off topic (as we were originally both concerned that we had done) I think it actually enhances this study. As a side note: I continue to keep you in prayer during this difficult time, and I also wish to comfort you with the blessed hope (which is a comfort to all who believe in the pre-trib rapture during these evil days). God bless you, and be your strength as you endeavor to serve Him.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Ronda said:

??? Sorry, but I can't reconcile one statement with the other. Please explain, if you have time. 

Sorry, Sister Ronda, my brain must have been moving faster than my fingers could type.  That statement should have been as follows:

On the other hand, I myself would say that if you have read the Bible from cover to cover, and if you truly understand the doctrine of Biblical regeneration, you could NOT say that Old Testament believers were not regenerated, but that they served the Lord as they did while still being dead unto God spiritually "in trespasses and sins."

Thank you for so quickly catching my error.  I will quickly correct it with an edit.