• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ambassadors for Christ (our "job description")

• Members

We are Ambassadors.  Just as an earthly kingdom or nation would have an Ambassador, so too Christ has representatives of his Heavenly Kingdom.                    2 Corinthians 5:17-21   Our Ministry is one of Reconciliation - we are to spread the Word of Reconciliation (how that God wants men to be Reconciled to Him, through his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ).

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us [proclaim] the word of reconciliation. Now then we are Ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Edited by beameup

• Members

The Apostle to the Gentiles never once uses the terms "priest", "priests" or "priesthood" in his Epistles.

1 Cor 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.  (witness 1)

1 Cor 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ  (witness 2)

Phil 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (witness 3)

Edited by beameup

• Members

As I just said in Pastor Markle's thread...

You're right...he doesn't.

However...

He certainly used the word "minister" a whole lot...and I mean a WHOLE lot.

What were the priests? Ministers. What was their duty? To minister.

Like it or not, you're a priest. Do you serve God? Do you serve his people? If so, you're a priest.

• Members
On 1/13/2016 at 10:47 PM, beameup said:

The Apostle to the Gentiles never once uses the terms "priest", "priests" or "priesthood" in his Epistles.

1 Cor 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.  (witness 1)

1 Cor 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ  (witness 2)

Phil 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (witness 3)

I disagree with you here. The church age Christian is a priest and king. If you can boldly approach the throne of grace (aka the mercy seat) then you are a priest. 

• Moderators

We need to consider what a priest is, at least from a Jewish perspective: The priests stood between the supplicant and the Lord-they kind of opened the doorway between them. Is this not our job, to open the way, (or at least point the way through the opened door) of salvation for the lost sinner to find the Lord? So yes, we are all priests in that sense-we stand in the gap and show the way and teach the truth.  

• Members
14 hours ago, Critical Mass said:

I disagree with you here. The church age Christian is a priest and king. If you can boldly approach the throne of grace (aka the mercy seat) then you are a priest. 

1. In which kingdom are we kings?  

2. The French word for priest is sacrificateur, someone who offers sacrifices.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members

1 Peter 2:4-6

To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.”

When Peter wrote that he was writing to gentiles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:18 AM, Invicta said:

1 Peter 2:4-6

To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.”

When Peter wrote that he was writing to gentiles.

Peter is identified as the apostle to the circumcision [Gal 2:7].  He wrote to his brethren.  In this case, Peter is reminded of the promise of God to Israel: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. Exodus 19:6  Had Israel repented as a Nation, this would have literally been fulfilled at that time upon Messiah's return.

"Assuming" that there is only one group of "elect" and that that is the Body of Christ, and that the entire N.T. is addressed only to "the church" is an error that dates back to the 4th Century Catholic Church.  God has a separate "agenda" for Israel and it will come to pass when God sets up his earthly Kingdom.

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me [Paul], as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;  Galatians 2:7
1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers [parepidēmos] scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
parepidēmos - one who comes from a foreign country into a city or land to reside there by the side of the natives - these are the diaspora of Jews he is writing to.

Edited by beameup

• Members
1 hour ago, beameup said:

Peter is identified as the apostle to the circumcision [Gal 2:7].  He wrote to his brethren.  In this case, Peter is reminded of the promise of God to Israel: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. Exodus 19:6  Had Israel repented as a Nation, this would have literally been fulfilled at that time upon Messiah's return.

"Assuming" that there is only one group of "elect" and that that is the Body of Christ, and that the entire N.T. is addressed only to "the church" is an error that dates back to the 4th Century Catholic Church.  God has a separate "agenda" for Israel and it will come to pass when God sets up his earthly Kingdom.

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me [Paul], as the gospel of the circumcision was unto PeterGalatians 2:7
1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers [parepidēmos] scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
parepidēmos - one who comes from a foreign country into a city or land to reside there by the side of the natives - these are the diaspora of Jews he is writing to.

I agree with a lot you say but you are over dividing the word here. Christians are ALSO kings and priests to God. The New Covenant applies to both the church and the nation of Israel since we have been grafted into the the olive tree. 

The danger you get into with two gospels being preached now, one to Israel and one to Gentiles, is it can become a discombobulated mess. My brother married a Jewish girl who got saved by the gospel Paul preached. My two nephews (her children) also got saved hearing the same gospel. Are they not saved because they didn't respond to the gospel of the circumcision? Who even preaches that today?

Paul himself preached salvation to the Jews in Acts but never preached a "gospel of circumcision" to them. 

I will grant you, though, that there are different gospel and Peter was preaching something different to the Jews early on which changed when Paul received his revelation (i.e. "my gospel"). It's more of a gospel of the kingdom but it seemed to be transitioned out as the Jews rejected their Messiah and his kingdom. 

Edited by Critical Mass

• Members
39 minutes ago, Critical Mass said:

I agree with a lot you say but you are over dividing the word here. Christians are ALSO kings and priests to God. The New Covenant applies to both the church and the nation of Israel since we have been grafted into the the olive tree. 

The danger you get into with two gospels being preached now, one to Israel and one to Gentiles, is it can become a discombobulated mess. My brother married a Jewish girl who got saved by the gospel Paul preached. My two nephews (her children) also got saved hearing the same gospel. Are they not saved because they didn't respond to the gospel of the circumcision? Who even preaches that today?

Paul himself preached salvation to the Jews in Acts but never preached a "gospel of circumcision" to them. 

I will grant you, though, that there are different gospel and Peter was preaching something different to the Jews early on which changed when Paul received his revelation (i.e. "my gospel"). It's more of a gospel of the kingdom but it seemed to be transitioned out as the Jews rejected their Messiah and his kingdom. 

I agree with most of what you are saying here.  There was a one-year "grace period" from the resurrection to the stoning of Stephen due to the "ignorance" of Israel.  After that, Paul was saved and the gospel of grace through faith alone was gradually revealed to Paul over a period of years.  The gospel announcing the coming King and Kingdom "died out" due to lack of interest on the part of national Israel.  However, the Gospels contain information and instructions for some yet-future Israeli Jews who will be believers in the Kingdom (see Mt. 24 & 25, for example).  I personally would place Revelation in this category as well.  As for the "olive tree" analogy, it all depends on how you interpret the meaning of: "partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree" (ie: how far you carry the "analogy" in Romans 11:17-21).

Romans 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

God bless