• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Priesthood of New Testament Believers

• Members
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.  Exodus 19:5-6

How does this "covenant" fit into the above discussion?

• Members
Just now, beameup said:
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.  Exodus 19:5-6

How does this "covenant" fit into the above discussion?

Brother "Beameup," (If you would grant me your given name, I would prefer to call you by it.)

I have limited time tonight for internet usage; therefore, I shall present the following "quick" answer to your above question --

Exodus 19:5-6 expressed the Lord God's promise unto the children of Israel as national group of people.  Revelation 1:4-6; 1 Peter 2:4-6; Ephesians 2:19-22 expresses the Lord God's truth concerning New Testament believers.  In the time of the Old Testament the children of Israel were "a kingdom of priests" unto the Lord God.  In this time of the New Testament we New Testament believers are "an holy priesthood" unto the Lord God.

• Members
23 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother "Beameup," (If you would grant me your given name, I would prefer to call you by it.)

I have limited time tonight for internet usage; therefore, I shall present the following "quick" answer to your above question --

Exodus 19:5-6 expressed the Lord God's promise unto the children of Israel as national group of people.  Revelation 1:4-6; 1 Peter 2:4-6; Ephesians 2:19-22 expresses the Lord God's truth concerning New Testament believers.  In the time of the Old Testament the children of Israel were "a kingdom of priests" unto the Lord God.  In this time of the New Testament we New Testament believers are "an holy priesthood" unto the Lord God.

So, you are subscribing to Replacement Theology (the "church" has "replaced" Israel - all the promises/covenants of Israel now belong to "the church").

PS: The Apostle to the Gentiles does not teach this "theology".  This Replacement Theology was a creation of (Saint) Augustine of Hippo and approved by Emperor Constantine. 

"priest", "priests", "priesthood" is never once mentioned in any of the Apostle to the Gentile's Epistles.

• Members
22 minutes ago, beameup said:

So, you are subscribing to Replacement Theology (the "church" has "replaced" Israel - all the promises/covenants of Israel now belong to "the church").

PS: The Apostle to the Gentiles does not teach this "theology".  This Replacement Theology was a creation of (Saint) Augustine of Hippo and approved by Emperor Constantine. 

"priest", "priests", "priesthood" is never once mentioned in any of the Apostle to the Gentile's Epistles.

You're right...he doesn't.

However...

He certainly used the word "minister" a whole lot...and I mean a WHOLE lot.

What were the priests? Ministers. What was their duty? To minister.

Like it or not, you're a priest. Do you serve God? Do you serve his people? If so, you're a priest.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Oὐ Νικολαΐτης said:

You're right...he doesn't.

However...

He certainly used the word "minister" a whole lot...and I mean a WHOLE lot.

What were the priests? Ministers. What was their duty? To minister.

Like it or not, you're a priest. Do you serve God? Do you serve his people? If so, you're a priest.

Read my post on the fact that the Apostle to the Gentiles informs us (those saved by grace alone: Gentiles) that we are Ambassadors of the Kingdom and are to "minister" to others that they MUST be reconciled to God.  Some might also assume that we will also be Ambassadors to Gentile Nations, on the earth, after Christ returns to the earth to set up his Kingdom on the earth.

When Christ (Messiah) returns to the earth, He will set up his Kingdom in Israel (Jerusalem), and his "kinsmen" Hebrews will indeed be a "Kingdom of Priests" at that time.

Edited by beameup

• Members
7 minutes ago, beameup said:

Read my post on the fact that the Apostle to the Gentiles informs us (those saved by grace alone: Gentiles) that we are Ambassadors of the Kingdom and are to "minister" to others that they MUST be reconciled to God. 

Right, that's the ministry that he has given to us as ambassadors...

11 minutes ago, beameup said:

When Christ (Messiah) returns to the earth, He will set up his Kingdom in Israel (Jerusalem), and his "kinsmen" Hebrews will indeed be a "Kingdom of Priests" at that time.

Then why did the apostle John tell the seven churches in Revelation (that were in existence when he wrote it) that Jesus Christ had made them kings and priests? They were already made kings and priests...

• Members
5 hours ago, beameup said:

Read my post on the fact that the Apostle to the Gentiles informs us (those saved by grace alone: Gentiles)

Not only gentiles are saved by grace.  Anyone, Jew or Gentile, who are in Christ Jesus are saved by grace. There is no difference.

Acts 15: 6 ¶  And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
7  And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
8  And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9  And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

No difference. But read all of the following and understand what it says.

Romans 3:22  Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26  To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27  Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28  Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. 29  Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 10  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Romans  10:11  For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 ¶  For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek
: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

• Members
For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:  For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.  Romans 11:25-27

The gifts and calling of God are without repentance [unchangeable]

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles  Romans 11:13a
Edited by beameup

• Members
3 hours ago, beameup said:
For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:  For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.  Romans 11:25-27

The gifts and calling of God are without repentance [unchangeable]

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles  Romans 11:13a

And how is all Israel to be saved?

There is only one way to be saved.

Acts 4:12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

The same gospel was preached to Israel in Damascus and in  Judea, and then to the Gentiles,

Acts 26:20  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Acts 3:17  And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
18  But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19  Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
20  And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

21  Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

• Members
23 hours ago, beameup said:

Brother "Beameup,"

I most certainly do NOT subscribe to the doctrine of Replacement Theology, which doctrine I firmly consider to be false (to which those who do hold to the doctrine of Replacement Theology against whom I have engaged would likely bear witness).  Brother, I would graciously counsel you that before you deliver such an accusation, you search out the matter more thoroughly, as per Proverbs 18:13.

Concerning Exodus 19:5-6.

As I stated above, this passage expressed the Lord God's promise unto the children of Israel as a national group of people; and this promise has NEVER been removed from them.  However, during this time of the New Testament church, the Lord God has administered spiritual "blindness in part" upon the children of Israel as a national group. (See Romans 11:25)  Indeed, the Lord God has administered upon them "the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear." (See Romans 11:8)  From a spiritual perspective, the children of Israel, as the national people group that the Lord God has chosen unto Himself, have temporarily fallen and have temporarily been cast aside. (See Romans 11:11-12, 15)  Yea, this spiritual condition for the children of Israel as a national group of people shall continue "until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled" and "until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in." (See Luke 21:24 & Romans 11:25)  Even so, during this time of the New Testament church, the administration of their priesthood responsibilities have been temporarily set aside.  Yet this is only temporary; for when the Lord God establishes and administers the fullness of His new covenant with the children of Israel as a national group of people, which He shall do at the Second Coming of Christ, then they shall be restored unto full fellowship with Him and shall reengage the administration of their priesthood responsibilities before Him. (See Romans 11:26-27)

Concerning Revelation 1:4-6; 1 Peter 2:4-6; Ephesians 2:19-22.

As I stated above, these passages, in perfect unity with one another, express the Lord God's truth concerning New Testament believers.  The truths of these passages are NOT given at all as a cancellation of or a replacement for the promise of Exodus 19:5-6.  Rather, the truths of these passages are given in addition to the promise of Exodus 19:5-6.  During this time of the New Testament church, we who are New Testament believers have been made “an holy priesthood” unto God our heavenly Father, and have been given “an holy priesthood” responsibility before God our heavenly Father, “to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ,” unto whom we have come in faith, “as unto a living stone,” “chosen of God, and precious,” and through whom we have been made “lively stone” that are being “builded together” and “fitly framed together” as “an holy temple in the Lord,” for an habitation of God through the Spirit."

23 hours ago, beameup said:

And to this I do respond with the question -- So what???  God the Holy Spirit inspired the holy man of God John just as much as He inspired the holy man of God Paul.  Furthermore, that which God the Holy Spirit inspired John to communicate in Scripture is just as absolutely true as that which He inspired Paul to communicate in Scripture.

So then, with that understanding concerning the doctrine of Holy Spirit inspiration in mind, I would ask you the question -- To whom and about whom did God the Holy Spirit inspire John to communicate the message of Revelation 1:4-6?  I would even suggest that you answer with the very words (as translated into English) that God the Holy Spirit inspired John to write, for those words are absolutely true and perfect.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle