• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hammered Dulcimer

• Moderators

So I was just reading about guitars in another thread and it got me thinking:  Anyone know much about hammered dulcimers?

Here's my story: Just before Christmas, an antique store in our nearby town of Susanville was closing, and in the window they had what looked like an older, possibly home-made hammered dulcimer. No damage to it, though the soundboard has a bit of a warp to it. It doesn't look like it will cause any problems, and sits well below the strings. Anyways, they were selling it for $56, and well, a low end new dulcimer will run you well over $400. So I figured, what the hey! and I bought it. It actually came with a discount since they were closing the next day, and I got it for the grand total of $36.

However, now I I have a dulcimer I know nothing about. I need to get hammers for it, and I think change all the strings, (which cast as little as $60 for a set!), then the tools for tuning it, and then, I have to learn to both tune AND play it.

So does anyone know much about them? Have a spare set of hammers? Advice?  Of course I could always paint it and turn it into a wall hanger, for the price I paid.

• Moderators

I may be mistaken, but I believe the hammered dulcimer is one of the 11+ instruments that Musician4God1611 plays. If he doesn't show up on here by Friday, I'll try to remember to call him and ask him to zip in on this thread.

• Members
37 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

So I was just reading about guitars in another thread and it got me thinking:  Anyone know much about hammered dulcimers?

Here's my story: Just before Christmas, an antique store in our nearby town of Susanville was closing, and in the window they had what looked like an older, possibly home-made hammered dulcimer. No damage to it, though the soundboard has a bit of a warp to it. It doesn't look like it will cause any problems, and sits well below the strings. Anyways, they were selling it for $56, and well, a low end new dulcimer will run you well over $400. So I figured, what the hey! and I bought it. It actually came with a discount since they were closing the next day, and I got it for the grand total of $36.

However, now I I have a dulcimer I know nothing about. I need to get hammers for it, and I think change all the strings, (which cast as little as $60 for a set!), then the tools for tuning it, and then, I have to learn to both tune AND play it.

So does anyone know much about them? Have a spare set of hammers? Advice?  Of course I could always paint it and turn it into a wall hanger, for the price I paid.

A number of years ago  well probably a few decades, probably in the 1980s our family went through a village not too far from here and it was the village fete.  As we walked into the village, three young lads, probably not more that 16 y.o. were busking.  One was playing a violin, the second a guitar and the third a hammered dulcimer. I thought the sound of it was amazing.  When we got to the village square there was a large platform where the was an accordion band playing. I think some other bands played , then one known as the Claw Hammer Band was due to play, but they had disbanded.  They were known as Claw Hammer Band due to their tailed coats which were supposed to resemble claw hammers.  As a result they had a gap in the programme and someone suggested getting these three young lads to play.  They did play and got a good reception and their first public performance. Possibly their only one.

That is my only experience of that instrument. I believe it is similar to the hammered psaltry.  I have a bowed psaltry but has a broken string and I cannot find a replacement so has not been used for some years.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Musician4God1611 said:

Hey UKMike do you have a picture of it.

It's been awhile since I played one. Hammered Dulcimers come in both Chromatic and Diatonic Scales. I'm guessing yours is diatonic if you got it for that price. I'll look around and see if I can find some hammers, but don't rule out Ebay.

Yes, I've looked-there are lots available, but they seem to want a lot for a couple fancy sticks. Yes, I know they have to be the right shape and length, but I'd like to find some simple ones just for practice. And I will get a pic up of it tonight.  At work now.  Thanks 

3 hours ago, Invicta said:

A number of years ago  well probably a few decades, probably in the 1980s our family went through a village not too far from here and it was the village fete.  As we walked into the village, three young lads, probably not more that 16 y.o. were busking.  One was playing a violin, the second a guitar and the third a hammered dulcimer. I thought the sound of it was amazing.  When we got to the village square there was a large platform where the was an accordion band playing. I think some other bands played , then one known as the Claw Hammer Band was due to play, but they had disbanded.  They were known as Claw Hammer Band due to their tailed coats which were supposed to resemble claw hammers.  As a result they had a gap in the programme and someone suggested getting these three young lads to play.  They did play and got a good reception and their first public performance. Possibly their only one.

That is my only experience of that instrument. I believe it is similar to the hammered psaltry.  I have a bowed psaltry but has a broken string and I cannot find a replacement so has not been used for some years.

I got to enjoying the HD back when I ran into a fellow named The Legendary Big Gerry, (A big furry man in a wee cap), at a local craft show, and I bought his CD. I have since run into him a couple times since-he plays Civil War music, sea shanties, traditional Celtic music, and other music styles. I'd really like to get my wife interested in playing it so we can do HD and Ukulele together, which I think would sound nice.

• Moderators

Dulcimike?  It is funny, on a Ukulele forum I am on, I started out as Ukulelemike, but there was a Ukulele Mike, as well, and there came up a (playful) dispute over who was the originator, so I threw out to the other members to find a new name. Since they knew about my raising livestock, as well, they voted at one that I would be called "Goaticus".

• Moderators

I actually went and looked over their site-lots of good things. I guess I'm just not going to get a "cheap" set, but I guess that's fine. I will probably go there and get the least expensive pair, just for learning purposes, as well as the tighteners, and see where it goes from there. Its old enough I will probably need a set of strings, which will cost more than the instrument did in the first place. Man, I hate restringing the ukulele with four strings-I can't imagine restringing that beast.

• Members
20 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

I actually went and looked over their site-lots of good things. I guess I'm just not going to get a "cheap" set, but I guess that's fine. I will probably go there and get the least expensive pair, just for learning purposes, as well as the tighteners, and see where it goes from there. Its old enough I will probably need a set of strings, which will cost more than the instrument did in the first place. Man, I hate restringing the ukulele with four strings-I can't imagine restringing that beast.

Just be glad it's not a piano!