• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Has anyone seen the movie "WAR ROOM"?:

• Members

Those I know who were raised without TV, without public schooling, without secular music, without movies, all entered adulthood far more mature than others their age, but also very grounded in the Word, sure of their salvation, sure of their faith and more than ready to enter "the real world".

Protecting our children is something we are called to do. It gets back to Swath's important point regarding separation. One of the main reasons so many of us, and American Christians in general, are more open to these things to one extent or another is because we grew up with such so it seems natural and acceptable to us. This, as a more extreme example, is how we get Christians which point to Star Wars and claim it's really like a Christian movie.

I agree with Swath, there are so many things I saw, heard and experienced that I wish I never had. As well, I wish I had come to understand the importance of separation, especially with regards to raising children, much sooner than I did.

• Members

I certainly didn't mean that we should be exposing our children to harmful worldly things, just trying to emphasize that we do need to ground them properly in the Word and prepare them for the challenges they will face in their faith.  The illustration I gave was not of a young man getting blindsided by something worldly, but a differing opinion of scripture by a brother in Christ.  Even though he was raised in a Christian home and faithfully tended church he was not adequately prepared for that situation.  He was taught what to believe, but not given the tools to study for himself, to scripturally defend his position or how to interact graciously with a brother of differing opinion.  That is the disservice I speak of.

• Administrators

Just FYI, Revenant is  rated "R for strong frontier combat and violence including gory images, a sexual assault, language and brief nudity." The combat and violence wouldn't bother my hubby, but the rest of it would rule the movie out.

As to War Room, it is a movie we have wanted to see. We've seen a number of Christian movies that are well-acted (and  many not so well :lol: ) and have to admit that we've never seen one we agree with 100%. Leaving out movies like The Printing (LOVE that movie), which tell a story more than try to teach doctrine.

• Members
7 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Just FYI, Revenant is  rated "R for strong frontier combat and violence including gory images, a sexual assault, language and brief nudity." The combat and violence wouldn't bother my hubby, but the rest of it would rule the movie out.

As to War Room, it is a movie we have wanted to see. We've seen a number of Christian movies that are well-acted (and  many not so well :lol: ) and have to admit that we've never seen one we agree with 100%. Leaving out movies like The Printing (LOVE that movie), which tell a story more than try to teach doctrine.

Wow, didn't know that about Revenant.  Hubby will be disappointed :(

Isn't Edward Panosian in The Printing?  I got to meet him, really nice guy, very knowledgeable about the Bible, it was awesome hearing him speak.  Hubby and I love the movie Sheffey.

• Members

I wonder if it's any worse than The Outlaw Josey Wales?  When objectionable scenes like that come up I get to fast forward or look away as they truly bother me now, thank the Lord!  

I had no idea Christian movies existed other than those Left Behind movies and the ones put out by the Kendricks.  Very thankful for an alternative, even if not perfect.  Sheffey passed through my home but I was the only one to miss it.  I watched Heaven's Heroes on youtube, it was cheesey, done around 1980 but had a very good message that was worth overlooking the man pants on the ladies and the poor quality.  That company made many more but I've not seen them.  

On netflix a couple years ago, was a left behind/groundhog day type movie that took place on a yacht.  The gospel was preached but it was worldly and a bit cheesey too. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I wonder if it's any worse than The Outlaw Josey Wales?  When objectionable scenes like that come up I get to fast forward or look away as they truly bother me now, thank the Lord!  

I had no idea Christian movies existed other than those Left Behind movies and the ones put out by the Kendricks.  Very thankful for an alternative, even if not perfect.  Sheffey passed through my home but I was the only one to miss it.  I watched Heaven's Heroes on youtube, it was cheesey, done around 1980 but had a very good message that was worth overlooking the man pants on the ladies and the poor quality.  That company made many more but I've not seen them.  

On netflix a couple years ago, was a left behind/groundhog day type movie that took place on a yacht.  The gospel was preached but it was worldly and a bit cheesey too. 

I've seen Sheffy a couple times, played it for our church once. I really enjoyed it. I wonder if he really had an almost magical way with horses, but you never know what God will do for a faithful servant who gives up everything for Him.  If I watch "Christian" movies, I try to stick to the more biographical ones, over the fiction morality plays. I wonder if one has been made about Billy Sunday? I'll have to look it up.

Edit: Nope, there isn't. A crowd-funded documentary about Spurgeon, and an older one about DL Moody, maybe worth watching.

• Administrators

Sheffey is great,too!  First time I saw it was at church. Loved it then and the second time, and would love to watch it again. One thing for sure, Bob Jones knew how to put out good movies. Yes, Mr. Panosian was in The Printing. As was Dr. Bob 2. Dr. Bob was the bad guy. 

Even though Revenant is based on a true story, Hubs still won't watch it. Now, if he knew where the nakedness is, mayhap he could fast forward. But not knowing means taking the chance of catching sight of it. Language is peppered throughout, and we learned through sad experience just how "salty" an R rated movie can be. As to Josey Wales - we won't watch that one, either.

But that's our choice...each one needs to make up their own minds. 

• Members
On January 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM, John81 said:

I've not seen the movie and I can't recall details but those I know which saw it and spoke of it mentioned problems which were not small points. That said, I agree that even the best film will not be perfect. If we choose to partake of a movie we should recognize that going in. It also helps to take into consideration that movies tend to show things which take place over days, weeks, months, years, all compacted into a roughly two hour time frame.

There are only a few Christian movies I really like, some I thought were okay, and most just weren't very good. Thankfully, Christian movies are now able to be made at a much higher quality than previously and in some cases they do work hard to present a good Christian story line.

From personal experience I know the Lord can use even flawed Christian movies to accomplish His will. It was after seeing "A Thief In The Night" at a night church service that I was born again in Christ.

We have the Thief in the Night series.  Awesome movie.  Even it wasn't perfect though.  One scene, people are receiving the mark, and a lady is marked on her left hand instead of the right.

The producer of the series, Russ Daughten, just passed away a couple years ago.

• Members

here is a great site to review the Revenant,...

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/r/revenant.htm

not recommended, as it has some pretty strong language, sexually suggestive scenes, and nudity.  The nudity is seen twice in the movie. (Both times male)

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members
On 1/13/2016 at 6:20 PM, Standing Firm In Christ said:

We have the Thief in the Night series.  Awesome movie.  Even it wasn't perfect though.  One scene, people are receiving the mark, and a lady is marked on her left hand instead of the right.

The producer of the series, Russ Daughten, just passed away a couple years ago.

Yes, the movie had some problems but I'm glad the Lord was able to use it to bring me to Christ. We have the whole series. While I know of many others who have come to Christ through these movies, no one I've personally shared it with has.

At the time I saw that movie I had never heard of the end times, never heard anything about Jesus returning, never heard about the actual Gospel of salvation (I learned in Methodist Sunday school we had to be good to get to heaven...no explanation of just what that meant either), never heard of what hell is really like, so I much of that movie was a shock to me and really got my attention.

On 1/13/2016 at 6:31 PM, Standing Firm In Christ said:

here is a great site to review the Revenant,...

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/r/revenant.htm

not recommended, as it has some pretty strong language, sexually suggestive scenes, and nudity.  The nudity is seen twice in the movie. (Both times male)

I still don't understand why any Christian would want to see this movie.:icon_confused:

• Members
4 hours ago, John81 said:

Yes, the movie had some problems but I'm glad the Lord was able to use it to bring me to Christ. We have the whole series. While I know of many others who have come to Christ through these movies, no one I've personally shared it with has.

At the time I saw that movie I had never heard of the end times, never heard anything about Jesus returning, never heard about the actual Gospel of salvation (I learned in Methodist Sunday school we had to be good to get to heaven...no explanation of just what that meant either), never heard of what hell is really like, so I much of that movie was a shock to me and really got my attention.

I still don't understand why any Christian would want to see this movie.:icon_confused:

We watch the Thief in the Night series at least once a year.

Yes, Revenant is definitely not a movie we should be watching.

I had a Sunday School teacher once who went to the theater a few years back with his wife and saw "The Heat".  It had the same filthy word in it more than 150 times in 117 minutes.  The sad thing is, the teacher's wife said that she and her husband were laughing throughout the entire movie.  To tell you the truth, I don't see them as saved at all.  They love the things of the world (filthy movies) and are therefore at enmity with God according to the Bible.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I and my wife watched and enjoyed "War Room".

We don't watch TV preaching, nor videos from TV type preachers, nor read the modern popular preacher's books - so we don't know about most of the 'spiritual' doctrines discussed in this thread that are negative on this movie.

With that said, we didn't see what some  see in this movie.

We thought it very provoking and serious, and do recommend it. 

We also highly recommend movies put out by Sherwood Baptist. Very serious and 'drawing towards God' type movies.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Administrators

We have the Thief in the Night series as well. I saw the Thief in the Night as a teen. We were at an all night teen gathering. The movie most definitely held everyone's attention. Another one that can grab attention is The Burning Hell. Admittedly the acting is not the greatest, but that's true of a lot of good movies. 

And we do like the movies put out by Sherwood Baptist. As well as the ones put out by Shiloh Films. Not crazy about the music, but the content is good.