• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Has anyone seen the movie "WAR ROOM"?:

• Members

I put two copies on hold at the Christian bookstore in town back when it had just come out of the theater.  Therefore, I got a huge discount.  Has anyone seen the movie?  Is it just another one of Hollywood's drivel or does it has some real Biblical content?

Edited by candlelight

• Members

I haven't seen the movie...but after reading some of the reviews, I seriously doubt whether I want to see it at all.

Here is a review that one of my FB friends posted : War Room: A Review of the Movie and the Industry Surrounding It

Concerning Elements

There are several concerning elements of the film that one may or may not notice if he is watching he movie uncritically:

• In one scene a man attempts to mug Clara and Elizabeth at knifepoint. Clara rebukes the man “in the name of Jesus”.  This kind of word of faith proclamation may work in the movies (and sometimes even in real life depending on a mugger’s background or God’s provision), however, a young person emboldened by the prayer theme of the movie may very well end up being stabbed if she imitates Clara’s example in real life.  This type of subtle word faith proclamation may be lost on conservative Southern Baptist audiences but it will certainly be noticed by Pentecostals who go to see the movie.
  • In another scene, Elizabeth is praying over the scriptures while Tony is on a business trip and out to dinner with a temptress. Elizabeth prays from the scriptures the phrase “resist the devil and he will flee”.  She repeats this line of scripture a few times.  In real life, Shirer is a proponent of contemplative prayer, a practice in which the prayer focuses on clearing her mind a repeating a specific phrase (similar to a mantra).  Those who are not aware of the practice of contemplative prayer will probably not notice that this scene touches the borderline of that practice.

Priscilla Shirer and Beth Moore are in this movie.  Both are advocates of contemplative prayer.

My advice---pray and use much discernment!

• Members

Thanks Linda.  Obviously, we haven't watched the movie yet.  With what was said above, it sounds very charismatic.  Something I am certainly not into.  The only thing I can use from the movie is to point out the flaws to those who have blinders on.  Where I live, that is a lot of people.  Maybe by pointing out the deficiencies in the movie, people's eye might open and hearts may grow soft to the word of God.  Anyway, it is worth a shot.

• Members

Eat the meat and spit out the bones as some say.  I watched it last night and enjoyed it as did the wife, friends and children.  Lots of laughs.

I do not think it crossed the line on contemplative prayer or mysticism.

I had one big bone to pick (maybe) but will not divulge such so as not to ruin the movie for y'all.

Edited by swathdiver

• Members

Where do you find "eat the meat and spit out the bones" in the Bible?  Doesn't Scripture say that "A little leaven leaventh the whole lump"? (Galatians 5:9)  Error mixed with truth turns the truth into error.

Eat The Meat, Spit Out The Bones

There are a lot of clever-sounding sayings that make the rounds among Christians, and one of these is “eat the meat, and spit out the bones.” Many have written to exhort me to do this, and they mean that I shouldn’t worry so much about exposing error. They wonder why I can’t just “eat the meat, and spit out the bones.”

There is a bit of truth to this saying, in that God’s people are always to exercise biblical discernment when hearing sermons or reading Christian books. We are to “prove all things; hold fast that which is good” (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

But the Bible also twice warns that “a little leaven leaventh the whole lump” (1 Cor. 5:7; Gal. 5:9) and exhorts us to mark and avoid those who teach doctrine contrary to that which we have learned in Scripture (Rom. 16:17). There is great danger in eating the wrong spiritual meat!

What if the meat is rotten or poisoned or hasn’t been cooked or properly stored? The U.S. government regulates how restaurants must cook meat, because undercooked meat is dangerous. When I worked in a restaurant in my youth, I was taught to handle the meat very carefully and to store it properly, because it spoils easily. If you eat meat that is spoiled or poisoned or undercooked, even if you spit out the bones, you will be in trouble. The writings of men like Brian McLaren and Richard Foster and Chuck Colson and Rick Warren and C. S. Lewis contain plenty of rotten meat. Those who advise God’s people to “eat the meat, and spit out the bones,” must explain to us how they know that this “meat” is safe.

Also, what if the bones have splinters or what if you get a bone stuck in your throat? When I was growing up in Florida, I went fishing often with my dad and granddad, and they were careful about which fish they kept and which they threw away, because some had too many bones to eat safely. And Mom was very careful to keep an eye on us when we were eating fish because of the ever-present danger of getting a bone stuck in our throats. This happened from time to time anyway, and it was a very unpleasant thing and, in fact, can be fatal. Likewise, very few Christians are able to wade through sermons or books by compromising preachers on their own and expertly spit out all of the “bones” of error. One of the reasons why so many fundamental Baptists are becoming New Evangelical is because they are reading New Evangelical books and blogs and listening to New Evangelical sermons.

And what if you don’t know the difference between meat and bones? A toddler doesn’t know the difference, and if it tries to eat meat and spit out bones, it will quickly be in trouble. Likewise, the average Christian today is far too biblically ignorant and carnal to distinguish properly between truth and cleverly presented error.

My friends, beware of clever sayings that aren’t supported by Scripture.

We live in a shallow, apostate, carnal age, and it behooves us to study the Bible diligently and to think biblically!!!!

One pastor who read this article replied:

“The problem I have with this statement is that sometimes the truth is hard to swallow, so it is spit out and called ‘bones.’ The ‘eat the meat, spit out the bones’ mentality is pretty much the same as Burger King’s ‘Have it your way’ mentality. Sinful man is always prone to create a hybrid Christianity that suits his tastes and preconceived notions about what he wants God to be.”

Edited by LindaR

• Members
12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Eat the meat and spit out the bones as some say.  I watched it last night and enjoyed it as did the wife, friends and children.  Lots of laughs.

I do not think it crossed the line on contemplative prayer or mysticism.

I had one big bone to pick (maybe) but will not divulge such so as not to ruin the movie for y'all.

Thanks Swath.  I understand what you are saying.  I have always had much discernment, obviously, I would not have left the RCC in my mind in the 2nd grade.  Then, I begged my parents to leave in the 8th grade for good, saying I did my duty.  Lol

Considering the majority of people in my area are RC's, I wouldn't suggest the movie for them to watch but I would give them a synopsis and let them know the un-Biblical things in the movie.  I do that with so many of these Hollywood movies anyway.  Sure I get flack from people, but I back that up with scripture.  Even though their carnal minds are unable to grasp the word of God, the word doesn't return void.  It is amazing when I throw scripture out there how people become silent.

Great article Linda and so very true!  Dr. James Beller, pastor and Baptist Biblical historian, wrote in his last book "The Coming Destruction of the Baptist People" (I believe that is the name) that there would be a huge divide between fundamentalists and evangelicals.  We can't stop what God is going to do.  However, pointing out Biblical flaws to people should be a priority to all Christians.  I know many baby Christians who will argue with me on movies such as these.  I just give them the scriptures, as you did above and leave it at that.  There is no sense arguing.  A baby believer, as you know, is still drinking the milk and the meat might turn them away.  After scripture is given to back up what I am saying, they usually back down anyway.  As for the unsaved?  I always suggest other movies that hold to Biblical truth.    

Edited by candlelight

• Members
On 1/2/2016 at 3:10 AM, LindaR said:

Where do you find "eat the meat and spit out the bones" in the Bible?  Doesn't Scripture say that "A little leaven leaventh the whole lump"?

You're absolutely right, it's not bible, it is of the flesh.  I've said the same thing here in years past.  I might even have quoted that same article!  Certainly read it before!  hehehe  I was at our friend's house for New Years and they put on the movie and we all watched it.  Thankfully, my children are learned enough to pick out the unscriptural parts, I had little to point out when we got home.

I'm a sinner saved by grace and largely stay away from modern movies but I have a hankerin' to see The Revenant, as I'm a black powder guy with an interest in that era, I watch the old movies on my DVR, the Lord still answers my prayers.  But I'm still repenting too!  Will I go to a theater and watch it?  I'm mighty tempted, but if my wife and I start with dinner, we'll be too pooped to go a movie afterwards!  Well, our car needs an oil change and two new tires...  

• Members
13 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I have a hankerin' to see The Revenant,

so does my husband! :D

Thankfully, my children are learned enough to pick out the unscriptural parts, I had little to point out when we got home. 

Growing up there was a couple shows on the Family Channel called Superbook and The Flying House.  They were animated shows dealing with Bible stories.  We were allowed to watch them, but Mom made a point to grill us on what was wrong in each episode.  They never truly stuck to scripture in dramatizing the stories.  We do a disservice to our kids if we completely isolate them from these kinds of things.  My husband taught in a Christian school and one boy who graduated had been completely sheltered his entire life -- church and Christian school was his only exposure.  He went to attend an apprenticeship camp ministry and there was a counselor there who had a differing view of something scriptural.  It wasn't something serious, didn't affect salvation, but this kid had never been exposed to differing viewpoints, couldn't research it for himself, couldn't defend his position, and basically short-circuited and left the program.  He went for years floundering, got involved with a questionable woman, etc.  He is now in ministry, but things didn't look good for him for quite awhile.  We have to be careful in how we expose our kids and train them, but if they are never in positions where they have to be stretched and tested along the way we don't know if we are being effective.

There is a companion book for that film called The Battle Plan for Prayer, which may end up being very popular if the movie is.  My concern is what does that book teach, if it's based on what was shown in the movie, that is something we probably need to be prepared to give answers for....

• Moderators

You're absolutely right, it's not bible, it is of the flesh.  I've said the same thing here in years past.  I might even have quoted that same article!  Certainly read it before!  hehehe  I was at our friend's house for New Years and they put on the movie and we all watched it.  Thankfully, my children are learned enough to pick out the unscriptural parts, I had little to point out when we got home.

I'm a sinner saved by grace and largely stay away from modern movies but I have a hankerin' to see The Revenant, as I'm a black powder guy with an interest in that era, I watch the old movies on my DVR, the Lord still answers my prayers.  But I'm still repenting too!  Will I go to a theater and watch it?  I'm mighty tempted, but if my wife and I start with dinner, we'll be too pooped to go a movie afterwards!  Well, our car needs an oil change and two new tires...  

I dunno-I have heard the Revenant is extremely gory and violent-not my cup o' tea.

• Members

The book, "Battle Plan for Prayer", is connected with the movie but not really based on the movie. From what I recall of the book it's strictly a book pointing out examples of prayer in Scripture, how we should pray for everything and trust God. Basically, it's a book on prayer using the Bible as the model for prayer and has no other actual connection to the movie other than who put these out.

I liked the book, which I've read, but I've not heard much good about the movie, which I've not seen.

• Members
18 minutes ago, John81 said:

The book, "Battle Plan for Prayer", is connected with the movie but not really based on the movie. From what I recall of the book it's strictly a book pointing out examples of prayer in Scripture, how we should pray for everything and trust God. Basically, it's a book on prayer using the Bible as the model for prayer and has no other actual connection to the movie other than who put these out.

I liked the book, which I've read, but I've not heard much good about the movie, which I've not seen.

good to know.

• Members

We watched it and enjoyed it. This whole thing with little points of error is a little overcautious in my opinion, for what little that is worth. What you will have in any movie that attempts to promote or adhere to biblical principals is one that will have flawed actors playing flawed characters with some flawed ideas. You will never have one that is 100% perfect and in agreement with what you or I believe. With these movies, I look at the premise. In this case, it's the power and need for prayer and a total reliance on God. None of the people in the movie are perfect. What a surprise! And what a perfect representation of real Christians! Yeah, the older lady (I don't remember her name) may cross the line a little bit on the mugging scene thing, but throughout the whole movie she's wholly given over to God, has a great prayer life, and is actively trying to disciple someone. I don't know about you, but some days I'd sure like to get 75% of my Christian walk right!

If you're looking to a movie to teach 100% correct doctrine, you're looking in the wrong place. Until a fundamental Baptist group starts producing quality movies, this is probably about as good as you're going to get. Even then, I'm sure there'd be some things in there to disagree with.

• Members

I've not seen the movie and I can't recall details but those I know which saw it and spoke of it mentioned problems which were not small points. That said, I agree that even the best film will not be perfect. If we choose to partake of a movie we should recognize that going in. It also helps to take into consideration that movies tend to show things which take place over days, weeks, months, years, all compacted into a roughly two hour time frame.

There are only a few Christian movies I really like, some I thought were okay, and most just weren't very good. Thankfully, Christian movies are now able to be made at a much higher quality than previously and in some cases they do work hard to present a good Christian story line.

From personal experience I know the Lord can use even flawed Christian movies to accomplish His will. It was after seeing "A Thief In The Night" at a night church service that I was born again in Christ.

• Members
8 hours ago, trapperhoney said:

so does my husband! :D

We do a disservice to our kids if we completely isolate them from these kinds of things. 

I dunno, I wish now I had not seen or done all the evils of this world that I was exposed to as a youngster.  Our oldest daughter struggles, even while attending a christian college, because she was little sheltered from the world until I was saved and then began to wise up.  Our younger ones are far better off not knowing the things she knows and it's a constant battle with the devil to protect them all from his evil designs on their hearts.  However,  when exposed to family, they get full doses of worldliness and the things Christians shouldn't be doing or seeing or being around!  Lord help continue to help us!

Well, we got the tires today so maybe it'll be out of the theaters in two weeks, then again, maybe not!  Mike, I don't like gore but don't mind violence in the context of war or fights between good versus evil, I should mind it, but don't.