• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

IP Blocked: Need help

LindaR

• Members

BroMatt and OnlineBaptist website administrators/designers:

I'm posting this on behalf of another poster, Ronda.  Her IP has been locked out of the OnlineBaptist forum for one week, as of Thursday, December 24, 2015.  I sent a message to the website administration notifying them of this problem on Saturday, December 26, 2015.  I sent this notification through the "Contact Us" at the bottom of each forum page.  As of this date, neither Ronda nor I have received a response. 

Ronda would appreciate if someone would email her and let her know that you are aware of this problem and that you will be working on a resolution.

Thank you

LindaR

• Administrators

As an administrator of message forums myself, I am wondering how either of you knows that her I.P. has been blocked? On my forums the person with the block cannot even see the forums, so how would they know it was an I.P. block?

• Administrators

As a forum administrator I also know that there are many reasons why a member cannot get into a forum. My question was how anyone could know she was blocked by her I.P. address.

Just the simple act of logging in each time has its complications. i.e. a wrong letter, upper case or lower case wrong, underscore that the user can't see because a link is always underlined. There are any reasons, probably as many as there are people that it happens to.

An I.P. block is a deliberate act by the admin. It does not usually happen by accident because the admin has to copy and paste the exact I.P. number into his software. If the admin didn't want the member on the board it would be a lot easier to just ban them.

Just wondering, it's no point of contention.

Edited by Jim_Alaska
spelling

• Members

Well, since her login name is simply "Ronda", I doubt it is a misspelling that is the problem.

haven't seen any posts by her that would give reason for a ban either.

Linda had the problem on OB a few years back, where a bot had blocked her IP.  BroMatt found that problem, I believe.  If I recall correctly, it was due to multiple edits of a post.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members
30 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

As an administrator of message forums myself, I am wondering how either of you knows that her I.P. has been blocked? On my forums the person with the block cannot even see the forums, so how would they know it was an I.P. block?

First of all, the statement wasn't addressed to you, Jim.  It was addressed to BroMatt and the administrators/designers of this website.

Ronda is a good friend of mine and we communicate frequently on Facebook.  She asked me if I was having a problem getting on this forum and I said I wasn't and the forum wasn't  down for some technical reason.  A few years ago our IP was blocked because of an "overload" of editing and the "bot" caught it as spamming.  I contacted the website administrators via Facebook, and they resolved the problem.  I told Ronda to do the same and she asked me to use that "Contact Us" option at the bottom of each page on this forum.  I did that and neither I, nor Ronda received a response via email.

BTW, I do know something about blocked IPs...and I also know that every forum has a "bot" that is supposed to catch spammers.  I also have been a moderator on several internet forums

I am attempting to help a friend get back on this forum and I thought starting a thread in the Computer Room would be a start, since I'm not having any luck anywhere else I've tried.

• Administrators

Sorry if I offended you Linda, that was not my purpose. I was just curious to understand how anyone could "know" their I.P. was blocked.

As I stated, an I.P. block is a deliberate act of the admin. It doesn't happen automatically or by any action of a bot. I have eight forums that have been online for twenty years and not one has any kind of bot that looks for SPAMMERS. I am familiar and friends with other forums admins and they also do not have SPAM bots.

We have to monitor our forums diligently and deal with SPAMMERS and trolls manually.

Again, I am sorry if I offended you Linda and will respectfully bow out of your thread, since it was not directed to me.  :wub:

Edited by Jim_Alaska
spelling

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

We were informed by the OB Admin that it was a bot that blocked Linda.  Are you saying that we were lied to?

LoL

No, not at all. This board must have a feature I have never heard of. Wouldn't be the first time I never heard of something..

• Administrators

Such silly things we argue about. SMH. 

Ronda told me about being locked out. It's been sent to the appropriate folks and hopefully very soon the problem will be resolved. Please keep in mind that the church BroMatt is starting has its first service tomorrow night and its first Sunday service this coming Sunday. So he's a bit busy right now. Please be patient - and please let Ronda know that we'll get her back on asap.