• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Has anyone here received teaching on "spiritual warfare" following their salvation?

• Moderators

Over the years, as a believer, I received little what you might call, directed, focused training on spiritual warfare. I have picked up a lot of weird, unbiblical stuff, like "getting rid of generational curses", (ie, why your salvation may not be enough), or anointing everything with blessed oil to rid them of demons, and that sort of stuff.  But mostly, as far as what I teach, spiritual warfare is simply dealing with things from a spiritual aspect, like seeing the enemy behind the enemy, (that guy at work that hates you? He's not your enemy, Satan is) and dealing with these things from a position of prayer and fasting, not in the flesh.

• Members

Yes, through the 700 Club.  :shootme:

Eventually, I'd read enough Bible that taught me to stay away from the spiritual dangers within the 700 Club show itself!  :icon_pray:

Three years later I united with a scriptural New Testament Church and our pastor preaches quite regularly on spiritual warfare. 

• Members

"Beameup": I have never received "teaching" per se on spiritual warfare.  I do know that we do have spiritual warfare from time to time, and I have experienced what I considered to be "spiritual attack"  which has always followed a period where I was devoting as much time as possible to the Lord, to Bible study, and to prayer. When I've led others to Christ and felt a wonderful thankfulness for this, then always a period of what (I consider to be) spiritual attack happens.  It seems the closer a "walk" I have with the Lord, the more problems (of the worldly kind such as unexpected expenses at the most inconvenient times, family problems, health problems, problems with non-Christian people, etc.) arise. That could just be my own experience.... I don't know if others go through these phases of ups and downs that seem to correlate to following Christ as much as possible. 

Ephesians 6:12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

2 Tim 3:12 "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."

We are also read to be sober and vigilant because the devil is an adversary and seeks to devour.  So yes, I would say spiritual warfare is real. I would also say that pastor Markle's scriptural answers are the ones I have found to be helpful. Put on the full armor of God.  I've also found the following verses helpful when in times of spiritual attack:

2 Tim. 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Since when I feel "under attack", the first thought to deal with is fear... and when we read the above verses we know that fear doesn't come from God, but from the evil one... so I pray that verse, and then ask the Lord to remove the spirit of fear, and to replace it with His power, His love, and a sound mind that comes from Him. Then I also pray and thank the Lord for the peace of God. Thanking Him always when I feel the spiritual attack abate. 

I don't rely on any TV evangelist for their supposed "insight"... I haven't found one yet I would recommend. But I also haven't heard any really good sermons on this either (other than putting on the full armor of God). The best recourse (for me) has been the Bible and prayer, and trusting fully in the Lord to carry me through each difficulty.

• Members

"doctrines of devils" comes to mind.  That would be the teaching of false-doctrine, such as scriptures that are specifically written to Jews (Hebrews) being applied directly to the Body of Christ.

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 1 Tim 4:1  Departure from the Paul's pure Gospel of Grace would be a prime example and then teaching some "modified" Law (touch not, marry not, taste not, etc.).  Putting others under "bondage" seems to be flourishing in these days.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?  Col 2:20-22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. 1 Cor 14:37
Edited by beameup

• Members
22 hours ago, beameup said:

"doctrines of devils" comes to mind.  That would be the teaching of false-doctrine, such as scriptures that are specifically written to Jews (Hebrews) being applied directly to the Body of Christ.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” - 2 Timothy 3:16

Like how Hebrews 6 teaches eternal security?  :D 

• Members
46 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” - 2 Timothy 3:16

Like how Hebrews 6 teaches eternal security?  :D 

1. Doctrine

2. Reproof (against "wrong behavior")

3. Correction (against "wrong doctrine")

4. Instruction in Righteousness (examples from the O.T., etc.)

Some things are written for the benefit of those who will endure the Tribulation.

Some things are written to give us a glimpse of the Millennial Kingdom and the "rules thereof".

Some things are written exclusively to and for the Body of Christ and have a specific "author".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers: Rom 15:8
Edited by beameup

• Members

spiritual warfare was never dealt with in my circles.  seems most people want to ignore that fact and comfort themselves with songs about "soon we'll be over on the other shore"  what I learned came mostly from personal study and experience.  however, my husband has always been interested in the subject since he has spent the majority of his life in the military, and he wrote a book about the armor of God from a Marine's perspective several years ago.  I can tell you some interesting things happened while that was going on.  He has learned much more and grown in knowledge so it needs to be seriously revised.  I have tried to encourage him to work it up into a seminar format, but so far that hasn't happened.  He also had a very good presentation about the armor of God worked up that he gave to youth using his military gear as an illustration.  He put on each piece (representative) as he taught about it.  it was really awesome.