• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Saved but not redeemed...yet.

• Members

Some have the opinion that I am wrong in my view of eternal security.

Here is one post I stated -

"Hold on here fellas.

Eternal life starts at death. We don't get eternal life while here, so we can't lose it!

It is the promise of eternal life that Christ purchased through his death burial and resurrection.

That promise is fulfilled in each one that believes in Jesus Christ with all their heart. When someone believes with all their heart, they don't just one day choose not to. That is not the type of creature we are after salvation. The scriptures say we are a NEW creature! Not the old. Yes we can choose to disobey and do ungodly things, for a while, or even til we die, yet our souls are sealed til the day of redemption. (Ephesians 4:30 - And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.)

Even when someone 'fell away' in in the eyes of Paul, the word of God says that they were given over to Satan, and the spirit would be saved in the day of the Lord.

1 Cor. 5 -

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

The one disagreeing -

Standing Firm In Christ

"gp is wrong.  We have eternal life the moment we trust Christ.  Jesus said, "He that believeth hath eternal life".  He did not say we will one day be given eternal life, He said we have it,... present tense.  he said we are passed from death unto life, (past tense) and He promised that those who have eternal life (present tense) shall not come into condemnation. (Future tense)

It appears that neither of you want to accept Jesus' words as truth in the matter of eternal life."

If he would read Ephesians 1:14, like Linda quoted, he would've understood what I was meaning.

“Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.” 

We receive eternal life at the time of our 'end', where we will be changed from 'mortal' to immortal'.

And that is reality.

I do not believe ANYONE who is saved can lose their salvation, and NEVER said such. If anyone thinks that I do, you are misreading my words or I am mis-stating my meanings.

• Moderators

Technically, we have eternal life the moment we are saved, because at that point, we are indwelt by the Spirit of God, which gives life. AT THAT MOMENT we are a new creature, the old has passed away, and all things become new.

The point is understanding that life is not what is according to the flesh, but the Spirit. Every man that has not Christ is dead already, because they lack the Spirit of Life, Jesus Christ. "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? "  once we are born again, we HAVE life and shall NEVER die. Our problem with understanding this as being of the now, not the 'to come', is not understanding that without Christ we are dead, dead, dead, and WITH Christ, we are already alive. The redemption is of our bodies at the resurrection, when we fully, in all ways, realize that life we already possess.

This is the stumbling block for the JW's-they cannot separate life from the body in their minds-they believe life and the body are no different, that once the body dies, the spirit is gone as well. They don't even believe one sleeps in the grave anymore. That's also how they try to escape from hell's punishment: if one is 'dead', then one is gone, hence, no hell or heaven, just nothing, until the spirit is recreated again for eternity.  Though I absolutely know that this is not the view you have, Genevanpreacher, yet I still believe that once we are saved we HAVE eternal life-all we are missing is the redemption of the body in resurrection.

1John 5:13 "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

• Members

I agree wholeheartedly Uke!

The fact of one not losing their salvation, in this life, was my purpose of pointing out that eternity doesn't start til after our life here ends.

We are not in control of our salvation, as per se, and hence we cannot 'let go' or 'lose it'. We are secured or sealed forever til death and then redeemed to live eternally.