• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way of Life - The Antichrist and the Third Temple

• Moderators

Many argue against a literal, physical third temple, saying that since Jesus came, there is no need for a third temple. Of course, this argument seems to completely misunderstand that the Jews, in building this temple, are still in darkness, and of course, that this will usher in the Antichrist. They instead insist that the temple the Bible refers to is the temple of the human body, and that the Antichrist will sit in the hearts of the people, in their eyes as being God. Now, I don't doubt this will happen-all those who are not saved, or have willingly rejected Christ beforehand, will believe a lie, a strong delusion sent by the Lord, and receive the Antichrist as god. But this doesn't negate a literal temple, as well.

• Members

Out of curiosity, "Invicta",  I wonder what do you presume 2 Thessalonians 2:4 to mean? A "spiritual" temple?

2 Thes 2:4 "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

It clearly isn't referencing Antiochus IV (175-164 BC) as his lifespan was well before 2 Thessalonians was written.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Invicta said:

Not the human body.  The temple now is the church,  

1Cor 6:19 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"  This was what I was referring to, that, because the Holy Ghost dwells within each of us, our body is the temple. But I agree that the body of Christ, the church, is also the New Testament temple, but I believe there will be a literal their temple in Israel, since that is the whole goal of the Jews, and it is that temple which the OP is referring to.

• Members
18 hours ago, Invicta said:

Not the human body.  The temple now is the church,  

4 hours ago, Ronda said:

Out of curiosity, "Invicta",  I wonder what do you presume 2 Thessalonians 2:4 to mean? A "spiritual" temple?

2 Thes 2:4 "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

It clearly isn't referencing Antiochus IV (175-164 BC) as his lifespan was well before 2 Thessalonians was written.

1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

1Cor 6:19 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"  This was what I was referring to, that, because the Holy Ghost dwells within each of us, our body is the temple. But I agree that the body of Christ, the church, is also the New Testament temple, but I believe there will be a literal their temple in Israel, since that is the whole goal of the Jews, and it is that temple which the OP is referring to.

Not that my opinion my matter for much; however, I would contend that Biblical truth is to be found in each one of the above postings, as follows:

1.  1 Corinthians 6:19 teaches us that the individual bodies of New Testament believers are spiritually the temple of God the Holy Spirit.

2.  Ephesians 2:14-22 & 1 Peter 2:4-6 teach us that the New Testament church is now spiritually the temple of God the Father, founded upon the New Testament apostles and prophets, "Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone."

3.  2 Thessalonians 2:4 teaches us that sometime in the future there shall be a rebuilding of the physical temple in Jerusalem.

• Members

Mt 26:61  And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

He built the temple of his body at the resurrection, and then His body, the Church.

1Co 3:16  Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co 3:17  If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
2Co 6:16  And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Note that all the pronouns are plural but temple is singular, otherwise it should read  Know ye not that ye are the temples of God

The Antichrist, the Pope sits in what he calls he Church making out he is God.  Why should Paul mean a temple of stones when in every other case he means the Church? 

• Members
13 hours ago, Ronda said:

I did not mention Antiochus.  Of course even if his lifespan did extend, he could not be Antichrist because he did not come out of the Church. John, the only one who menions Antichrist say antichrists have gone out from us.  i.e. they are apostates.

• Members

The Antichrist described in Thessalonians will have true supernatural powers.  As such, he will be worshipped as God.  The classical Greek word naos used in the phrase "he, as God, sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." has its origin in the Classical Greek pagan temple, where the IMAGE of the pagan god was placed, and clearly is a reference to the Hebrew "holy-of-holies" (same place that Antiochus_IV_Epiphanes  polluted/corrupted with the "abomination").

I've known for decades about the work of the Temple Mount Faithful and the Temple Institute working on the establishment of the Third Temple.  My conjecture is that it will take another war against Israel (see Psalm 83), and the absolute defeat and humiliation of "Allah" the god of  Islam for the Temple Mount to be available for construction of the Third Temple. I suspect that everything has already been constructed in order to erect the "holy place" and the "most holy place" (as represented by the Tabernacle's architecture).

• Members

"Beam me up": I agree that the temple in which the antichrist will desecrate (and falsely proclaim himself to be "god") is a physical structure noted in 2 Thes. 2:4 and is the same physical temple structure referred to in Revelation 11:1-2.  I also agree that the Temple Institute (and other groups) have constructed most (if not all) implements and garments in preparation for the third temple.  There is another group which has even been using DNA to breed a "flawless" red heifer. I also suspect that more preparations have been made than we currently have access to information about. But just the amount of information available is overwhelming evidence that the Orthodox Jewish community has made considerable preparations for the coming third (physical) temple.

I also agree that it will take a war (at least one) wherein islamic nations are soundly defeated in order that the temple can be built. I've read various commentary from "scholars" on Psalm 83, wherein the "inner ring" of nations (the nations directly surrounding Israel) are defeated.  It sounds logical (from a human perspective) that this would be the reason why those "inner ring" nations are missing from the nations described in Ezekiel 38-39. However, I take issue with any "scholar" who demands that Psalm 83 MUST happen prior to Ezekiel 38-39.  They have created a niche' market in books and videos for sale, which is another thing I take issue with, "selling" (for monetary profit) the word of God, or more specifically, their spin on the word of God.  There are others "scholars", such as Thomas Ice, who do not even believe Psalm 83 is referencing a war at all...  I'll leave the timing of Psalm 83 in God's hands because if Psalm 83 actually is a future war, there is nothing in the bible which states it MUST occur prior to Ezekiel 38-39 (even if it makes sense from a logical-human perspective). Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord."    9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Either way, Ezekiel 38-39 will in fact occur. Whether it happens prior to or after the tribulation period starts is also a hotly debated topic. I tend to lean on the side towards either:  just prior to the tribulation, or just after we (saved/bride) have been raptured. My reasoning is that it will take Israel 7 years to burn the weapons and 7 months to bury the bodies of those who came against them.( Ezekiel 39:9-12).  And since we already know that the Jewish remnant will not actually be in Jerusalem for 3.5 years of the 7 year period (as Rev. 12:6 shows), then they couldn't be burning weapons and/or burying bodies from the Ezekiel 38-39 war during that time. 

Ezekiel 39:9-12  9 "And they that dwell in the cities of Israel shall go forth, and shall set on fire and burn the weapons, both the shields and the bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the handstaves, and the spears, and they shall burn them with fire seven years:"
10 "So that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut down any out of the forests; for they shall burn the weapons with fire: and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord God."
11 "And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will give unto Gog a place there of graves in Israel, the valley of the passengers on the east of the sea: and it shall stop the noses of the passengers: and there shall they bury Gog and all his multitude: and they shall call it The valley of Hamongog."
12 "And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying of them, that they may cleanse the land."

Revelation 12:6 "And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days."

Admittedly, I could be wrong about my thoughts on the timing of Ezekiel 38-39, and I will leave it in the hands of our very capable God to determine the exact timing. Regardless of WHEN that war happens, the fact is, it WILL happen, as God does not lie, and His word is true. Having the past prophecies come to pass so accurately and literally is further assurance that the future prophecies will also be fulfilled as accurately and literally.  

• Members

IMO, Psalms 83 is referencing war but this war has already occurred from our point in history and that is how it plays into future events in Revelation.

Speculation for the sake of current trends throughout the world and of course, giggle-snorts makes me wonder just how secretly allied islam is to the religious beast in rome. I am beginning to doubt that any war with islam would be necessary for the temple's building. The pope is beginning to openly unite with islam and will pretend to embrace Judaism soon under the umbrella of ecumenical peace and baloney.

In addition, I certainly don't buy into Gog being mad at the wild man right now, IMO the Russia/ islam tensions are only a ruse to keep flooding the west with jihadis.

Of course, giggle-snorting is fun and interesting when not taken too seriously. Not that any of your fine folk are taking it too seriously, just saying.

• Members
9 hours ago, wretched said:

IMO, Psalms 83 is referencing war but this war has already occurred from our point in history and that is how it plays into future events in Revelation.

Speculation for the sake of current trends throughout the world and of course, giggle-snorts makes me wonder just how secretly allied islam is to the religious beast in rome. I am beginning to doubt that any war with islam would be necessary for the temple's building. The pope is beginning to openly unite with islam and will pretend to embrace Judaism soon under the umbrella of ecumenical peace and baloney.

In addition, I certainly don't buy into Gog being mad at the wild man right now, IMO the Russia/ islam tensions are only a ruse to keep flooding the west with jihadis.

Of course, giggle-snorting is fun and interesting when not taken too seriously. Not that any of your fine folk are taking it too seriously, just saying.

The Roman Catholic Church create Islam. The purpose was to drive the Jews once and forever out of Palestine and to destroy the Donatists in North Africa who had grown in numbers and strength over the papists of Europe. Within 100 years after Islam was invented not one Donatist could be found in North Africa. 

Now after his conquest Muhammad, as a good son of the RCC, was supposed to hand over these possessions to the Pope but Muhammad told him to take a flying leap. 

By the way, Muhammad's #1 wife was a Roman Catholic who had spent time in a convent. It is believed by some that her brother, who was also Roman Catholic, may have copied down Muhammad's "visions" for him since he was illiterate. Also, the Hadith says in many places that Mohammad was a white man. There are many similarities between Islam and the Popery. One is the veneration of Fatima (aka Mary).which happened to be the name of Muhammad's youngest daughter by his #1 wife.

Edited by Critical Mass

• Members
12 hours ago, Critical Mass said:

The Roman Catholic Church create Islam. The purpose was to drive the Jews once and forever out of Palestine and to destroy the Donatists in North Africa who had grown in numbers and strength over the papists of Europe. Within 100 years after Islam was invented not one Donatist could be found in North Africa. 

Now after his conquest Muhammad, as a good son of the RCC, was supposed to hand over these possessions to the Pope but Muhammad told him to take a flying leap. 

By the way, Muhammad's #1 wife was a Roman Catholic who had spent time in a convent. It is believed by some that her brother, who was also Roman Catholic, may have copied down Muhammad's "visions" for him since he was illiterate. Also, the Hadith says in many places that Mohammad was a white man. There are many similarities between Islam and the Popery. One is the veneration of Fatima (aka Mary).which happened to be the name of Muhammad's youngest daughter by his #1 wife.

Sounds reasonable to me, I'll buy that as long as it is tithe-free?

• Members

No doubt that there is good evidence that Jewish scribes were involved in the creation of the Koran, as they were the only ones available that were literate at that time and place.  However, the resultant document (conglomeration) was the equivalent of putting the Old Testament in a "blender".  As far as the "Moon God" (crescent) is concerned, it can be traced directly back to ancient Babylon.