• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Feeling Used

• Members

Made this rocking horse when my son was small. I made another just like it, for our grandson's 2nd birthday. The only difference was that I put an extra board between the rockers with his name on it. On the bottom side of the board, I engraved "from Papa". I just learned that our Daughter in law later sold it at a yard sale. I had also made him a little pulpit because he had gotten into pretending to "preach" and she sold that too. She has consistently restricted our access to our grandson for years and on the few times he got to stay with us, he never wanted to go back home.. But now that she is divorcing our son, she wants us to keep the children for free while she works. On top of that, she told my wife she has to meet her at her place to pick them up.. We live out in the country so my Wife has to drive a total of 60 miles every day to pick them up and bring them back. That's going to be expensive, but at least we are getting to see our grandchildren now. I won't get into the whole mess right now, but would appreciate your prayers.12239227_534681796691809_256864088770289

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I'm sorry you're dealing with this brother. With what little of the situation that you described, it sounds like she either sold them for spite or to get some extra money. I know that people will do things...crazy things they later regret...just to get a little bit more money.

Just hang in there and do what you know is right. Enjoy what you can while you can, and I'll be praying for you and the whole situation.

• Members

Sorry to learn more of this Wayne from your son's wife.  Will keep praying.

When we make things and give them to our loved ones, our hope is that they will stay in the family and be passed down.  But alas, they were gifts, and the receiver can do anything with them they desire.  This foolish young lady doesn't seem to have any sense of that and cannot see too far into the future it seems.  The things of the world have her full attention now.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I haven't been on here for a while, so I didn't know about this. I'm sorry, heart. And I'm sorry your wife has to drive that distance...but what a blessing to be able to have your grands with you. Maybe you could suggest that you guys keep the kids a couple of nights in the week? That would save gas and travel. 

• Members
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:59 AM, HappyChristian said:

I haven't been on here for a while, so I didn't know about this. I'm sorry, heart. And I'm sorry your wife has to drive that distance...but what a blessing to be able to have your grands with you. Maybe you could suggest that you guys keep the kids a couple of nights in the week? That would save gas and travel. 

Now that would be awesome! If she would go for it. I'm almost afraid to ask because dealing with her is like walking on eggshells.

• Administrators
On 1/3/2016 at 9:04 PM, heartstrings said:

Now that would be awesome! If she would go for it. I'm almost afraid to ask because dealing with her is like walking on eggshells.

Pray about it first, and present it as being for her benefit. And maybe once in a while, when you bring the kids home, bring dinner done for her. In other words, kill her with kindness. :clap:

• Members

"Heartstrings": It breaks my hearts when the younger generation throws out treasures we (or our parents/grandparents) handcrafted with love.  My most treasured gifts (from other people) have been handcrafted! My sister (went on to be with the Lord in 2003) made me a cross-stitched picture, which I treasure, as well as many Christmas decorations,  my Mom made me a beautiful quilt, my grandmother made a special baby blanket for my oldest son, and many doilies, etc. My oldest son made me a deacon's bench with storage and wall sconces. My Dad built me a half bath in the downstairs half of the house (thank the Lord for that every day). So many things we treasure that other people took a lot of time, effort and love to make for us! Now days they just throw out everything useful and replace it with the "latest and greatest" which they will also throw out well before it's served it's life of usefulness. So I do understand your feelings of frustration there.

On the other hand... and this is something that God has been dealing with me about over the last year or 2... that all of these things are worldly possessions. I am now in a position I never wanted to be in...I had put it off for as long as possible, but I have home health come in 5 days a week to help me do the things I can no longer physically do. I do appreciate their help with getting groceries, carrying laundry up/down stairs, and help with personal care. However, having total strangers come into my home was a rude awakening. Many of them cuss like sailors, some treat me as though I have zero feelings and zero worth as a human being, most of them are extremely lazy and are there only to get a paycheck for doing the minimum help possible (not caring that what they don't do will either be left undone or another aide will have to do), and even worse are the ones who have stolen from me. (and there have been SEVERAL who have stolen from me).  I have taken it to the Lord... it's a hard thing to deal with, but He keeps leading me back to the Bible verses that deal with worldly possessions. I won't quote them all, since I know you also know the Bible well. And I don't mean to diminish your anguish over the ingratitude of some people, but I do want to point out that we have treasures in heaven which far surpass anything this evil world has to offer, and that we (and this includes me) need to grasp what the Lord has said about this temporal life... and focus on the real future (eternity). I hate to get all "preachy", but since this is something the Lord keeps giving to me time and again, I will also point out just these 3 verses:

1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain." 7 "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." 8 
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." 

Prayers for you and your family. I hope I haven't made light of your situation... that was not my intent at all. ((hugs))

• Members
2 hours ago, Ronda said:

"Heartstrings": It breaks my hearts when the younger generation throws out treasures we (or our parents/grandparents) handcrafted with love.  My most treasured gifts (from other people) have been handcrafted! My sister (went on to be with the Lord in 2003) made me a cross-stitched picture, which I treasure, as well as many Christmas decorations,  my Mom made me a beautiful quilt, my grandmother made a special baby blanket for my oldest son, and many doilies, etc. My oldest son made me a deacon's bench with storage and wall sconces. My Dad built me a half bath in the downstairs half of the house (thank the Lord for that every day). So many things we treasure that other people took a lot of time, effort and love to make for us! Now days they just throw out everything useful and replace it with the "latest and greatest" which they will also throw out well before it's served it's life of usefulness. So I do understand your feelings of frustration there.

On the other hand... and this is something that God has been dealing with me about over the last year or 2... that all of these things are worldly possessions. I am now in a position I never wanted to be in...I had put it off for as long as possible, but I have home health come in 5 days a week to help me do the things I can no longer physically do. I do appreciate their help with getting groceries, carrying laundry up/down stairs, and help with personal care. However, having total strangers come into my home was a rude awakening. Many of them cuss like sailors, some treat me as though I have zero feelings and zero worth as a human being, most of them are extremely lazy and are there only to get a paycheck for doing the minimum help possible (not caring that what they don't do will either be left undone or another aide will have to do), and even worse are the ones who have stolen from me. (and there have been SEVERAL who have stolen from me).  I have taken it to the Lord... it's a hard thing to deal with, but He keeps leading me back to the Bible verses that deal with worldly possessions. I won't quote them all, since I know you also know the Bible well. And I don't mean to diminish your anguish over the ingratitude of some people, but I do want to point out that we have treasures in heaven which far surpass anything this evil world has to offer, and that we (and this includes me) need to grasp what the Lord has said about this temporal life... and focus on the real future (eternity). I hate to get all "preachy", but since this is something the Lord keeps giving to me time and again, I will also point out just these 3 verses:

1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain." 7 "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." 8 
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." 

Prayers for you and your family. I hope I haven't made light of your situation... that was not my intent at all. ((hugs))

Thanks Ronda, I understand all that and it is all true. But we don't believe these particular items were sold for that reason.

• Members

Thank you so much for your kind words and especially your prayers.  God has given me certain obstacles I never would have imagined, and so I constantly need to remind myself to "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ".  I'm not claiming I always succeed in this because the devil knows which buttons to push, no doubt!  But when I have sinful thoughts about these people (instead of just despising their sinful acts) then I try to take it to the Lord. I am by no means perfect in that regard either!!! So I do appreciate your prayers very much!!!!

I understand... that the woman you have problems with her are really HER jealousy and desire to "get even" or just be mean-spirited, and are HER core issues. You can't do anything about this woman's inconsiderate and purposefully hurtful actions, you can't change her heart. But our reactions to people like those are key for our own sanity and our own walk with the Lord. If we give in to reciprocating back to "get even" in return (not saying you would ever do this), or if we let them know how deeply their actions hurt us... we are then playing right into their hands. If she gets the desired response, she will likely continue to goad you and your family at every juncture. I agree with "HappyChristian" in showing this woman undeserved kindness in reciprocation for her mean-spirited acts towards you. It's a hard thing to do (and I'm not claiming I have always done this myself)... but I do try to think of everything that happens in respect to "Is this what Jesus would have me do or say"? Sometimes I slip up and my mouth starts flapping before my heart can reign it in, lol. Then I repent and ask for help from the Lord. It's a life-long process. I will be praying for your situation also. It's so sad when a precious grandchild is involved... I know of many people who use children as pawns... it's sinful and wrong! I will be praying for this mean-spirited woman also, maybe she will see the love of Christ in you and your family and instead of jealousy to spite, she will want to have that wonderful peace of God that you have!!! God Bless!!!