• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

One "Contemporary" song with lyrics that beats your hymnal any day

• Members

Other HORRID un-Scriptural songs leveled upon us by these horrid "Contemporary artists.

lyrics here:

The Christian counselor wrote, quote
"Who is the only humane choice ahead
If you can't support it
Why don't you abort it instead?"

You say you pray to the sky
Why? When you're afraid to take a stand down here
'Cause while the holy talk reads like a bad ad lib
Silence screams you were robbing the crib

Say it ain't none of my business, huh?
A woman's got a right to choose
Now a grave digger, next you pull the trigger what then?
Whatever happened to sin?

I heard the reverend say
"Gay is probably normal in the Good Lord's sight
What's to be debated?
Jesus never stated what's right"

I'm no Theology nut
But the Reverend may be a little confused
For if the Lord don't care and he chooses to ignore, ah
Tell it to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah

Call it just an alternate lifestyle, huh?
Morality lies within
Consciences are restin', please repeat the question again

When the closets are empty and the clinics are full
When your eyes have been blinded by society's wool
When the streets erupt in your own backyard
You'll be on your knees praying for the National Guard

If you don't care now how the problems get solved
You can shake your head later, that you never got involved
'Cause the call came a ringing from the throne of gold
But you never got the message, never got the message
'Cause your mind's on hold

A politician next door
Swore he'd set the Washington Arena on fire
Thinks he'll gladiate them
But they're gonna make him a liar

Well, he's a good ole boy who was born and raised
In the buckle o' the Bible Belt
But remember when you step into your voting booth
He'll never lie, he'll just embellish the truth

Promises were made to be broken, right?
You've gotta play the game to win
When you need support, tell them that you born again

Granted.....it's not....."In the Garden"..............or anything..........

but, it's more relevant and Biblical, so, I'll take it.

Edited by Heir of Salvation

• Members
5 hours ago, Ronda said:

Exactly who does that worship and bring praise to?

It mostly convicts Christians or, is designed to of course.  

Q. Who, exactly, does the hymn "I'll fly away" worship and bring praise to?.  

A. No one really...........it makes the flock feel better and gives them hope and encouragement, but it doesn't really "bring praise" to anyone does it.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Heir of Salvation said:

It mostly convicts Christians or, is designed to of course.  

Q. Who, exactly, does the hymn "I'll fly away" worship and bring praise to?.  

A. No one really...........it makes the flock feel better and gives them hope and encouragement, but it doesn't really "bring praise" to anyone does it.

Actually "I'll fly away" brings glory to God because it shows our faith in His salvation He supplied us with and it edifies and encourages  believers. And.it has better music.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Heir of Salvation said:

Beat that with "Mansion over the Hilltop" or "Day by Day"...

Maybe his light would be brighter if he stopped using Laodicea's music. CCM is the music if the one world church, given to us by writers.and artists who desire to break down denomination walls and just gather everyone together, casting aside the doctrines that divide. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

Actually "I'll fly away" brings glory to God because it shows our faith in His salvation He supplied us with and it edifies and encourages  believers. And.it has better music.

Sure it "brings glory to God".  All those songs "bring glory to God".  No one is arguing otherwise.  One has to look rather deeper than the elementary and non-sensical images in the lyrics to see it, but, it does well enough.  One could argue that "Mansion over the Hilltop" does too, I suppose, despite it's false Theological suggestions, wrong view of what heaven is about, and it's vapid imagery........but good for Mr. Miles.  If the Saints are edified by it, than so be it.  God is glorified by the heart-felt singing of his saints.............Even when their songs are stupid......like "I'll fly away". 

• Members

Get rid of the beat and it is actually a nice song. (the first video, NOT the second!)

I think CCM gets a bad 'review' from most conservative Christians because the beat sounds like worldly music. And most conservative Christians stay far away from worldly music no matter whether they be doctrinal or not.

The second was just plain stupid.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members
2 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

(the first video, NOT the second!)

LOL....:lol:Steve Taylor is erm...........definitely an acquired taste. ^_^ His songs are all satyrical and weird.  He wrote legit songs that are popular and often sung in churches today, but, his solo music career always involved weird tunes that aren't meant to be taken too seriously.  Double that with the fact that it was meant to be weird even in the 80's......and you've got a real oddball. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 11/26/2015 at 11:56 PM, Heir of Salvation said:

O.k. then.....it's then perfectly fair to say that "A Mighty Fortress" is the music of a barely reformed Catholic who persecuted Baptists and hated Jews.

Fair enough?

If not, why not?

Perhaps, but I have not known anyone who became a Lutheran from singing that, while many Christians AND churches turn to carnal, worldly CCM music and eventually, a worldly church as a whole, through the use of CCM music.

CCM is the music of the one world church, because one of the oft-stated designs is to break down doctrinal and denominational walls-this is why they can be sung before Catholics, Baptists, Presbyterians, Mormons, etc-they WANT to 'unify' everyone, but not in a biblical way, "Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." This is the biblical unity that is the very least we must have for fellowship of any sort, but when CCM performers seek to unify everyone who claims to be 'christian', and purposely disregards these things, it is unscriptural and unholy. In these I cannot even find real unity with pentecostals, with catholics, with presbyterians, indeed, with virtually any protestants at all, because we disagree in one or more of these. And such is the danger of ANY movement in the churches that seeks to bypass what the word of God has said, indeed, what GOD has said, and do things a different way. CCM does exactly that. 

“Sometimes we don’t see eye to eye/ WE DON’T AGREE; WE DON’T KNOW WHY/ BUT JESUS PRAYED THAT WE’D BE ONE/ For the sake of God’s own Son/ CAN WE PUT AWAY OUR DIFFERENCES/ LAY DOWN OUR PRIDE/ It’s time we start turning the tide” (Joel Lindsey and Regie Hamm, “Gather at the River,”)

This song pretends that the doctrinal divisions between Christians are the result of pride (“lay down our pride”) and ignorance (“we don’t agree; we don’t know why”). This conveniently overlooks the Bible’s commands about defending the faith and separating from error.

“Have you ever seen a bunch of young people (be they Lutheran, Presbyterian, or Baptist, charismatic or evangelical) setting aside their religious idiosyncrasies to jump and shout when Petra walks on stage?... The shared experience will send them back to their own churches LESS THEOLOGICALLY EXCLUSIVE. From that moment on, they are ‘not of this world’ with all of its petty ecclesiastical divisions” (Bob Larson, Contemporary Christian Music Magazine, December 1985).

Bob Larson is a sad example-I used to listen to him on the radio in the 80's-he was a big voice against the New Age, as well as the burgeoning CCM movement, but what I thought was strange was his glowing words for secular rock and roll, having been a roadie for a couple heavy metal bands, and I suspected it wouldn't go well for him. Apparently he fell right for it, and now thinks the ecumenical spirit of CCM is a great thing, despite its forays into the new age.

Bill Gaither illustrates the ecumenical philosophy of Contemporary Christian Music. In recent decades Gaither has bridged the wider Contemporary Christian Music world with that of Southern Gospel, and he has stirred his ecumenical philosophy into the mix. The Gaither group provided the music one evening at Indianapolis ‘90, a large ecumenical charismatic gathering I attended with press credentials. One-half of the 25,000 participants were Roman Catholics and the other half represented roughly 40 different denominations, Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Pentecostal, you name it. A Catholic mass was held each morning during the conference, and a Catholic priest delivered the closing message. The Gaithers appeared to be perfectly at home in this unscriptural gathering and entertained the mixed multitude with their jazzy music.  (David Cloud "Why We Are Opposed to CCM)

The National Catholic Register mentioned these in an article in the March 8-14, 1998, issue, stating that THEY ARE USING THEIR MUSIC TO “EVANGELIZE” EVANGELICAL YOUNG PEOPLE INTO THE CATHOLIC FAITH.
KATHY TROCCOLI has been nominated five times as the Gospel Music Association female vocalist of the year. She is a national spokesperson for Chuck Colson’s Prison Fellowship. In an interview with
CCM Magazine in 1997 she said: “But I’d been very judgmental toward the Catholic church for years, and I’ve recently been able to go back to it without having a chip on my shoulder. I now have a much greater capacity for--as the album says--Love and Mercy.”

Yes, CCM IS the music of the coming one-world church. It is intended and used to attract and draw believers into a false unity with other faiths, to teach them to disregard holiness and separation and godliness in excange for an ungodly union with false prophets and wolves. Like it or not, they admit it, not perhaps in so many words, but they admit to desire for unity above all else, and that is unscriptural and ungodly and unholy.

On 11/28/2015 at 10:23 AM, Nobody ever said:

Get rid of the beat and it is actually a nice song. (the first video, NOT the second!)

I think CCM gets a bad 'review' from most conservative Christians because the beat sounds like worldly music. And most conservative Christians stay far away from worldly music no matter whether they be doctrinal or not.

You are absolutely correct-it is worldly, carnal music, mixed with sometimes very good words-and this is exactly the sort of thing we are told to keep separate from one another. It is, by definition, unholy.

• Moderators
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 3:45 PM, Heir of Salvation said:

Other HORRID un-Scriptural songs leveled upon us by these horrid "Contemporary artists.

lyrics here:

The Christian counselor wrote, quote
"Who is the only humane choice ahead
If you can't support it
Why don't you abort it instead?"

You say you pray to the sky
Why? When you're afraid to take a stand down here
'Cause while the holy talk reads like a bad ad lib
Silence screams you were robbing the crib

Say it ain't none of my business, huh?
A woman's got a right to choose
Now a grave digger, next you pull the trigger what then?

I heard the reverend say
What's to be debated?

I'm no Theology nut

Call it just an alternate lifestyle, huh?
Morality lies within
Consciences are restin', please repeat the question again

When the closets are empty and the clinics are full
When your eyes have been blinded by society's wool
When the streets erupt in your own backyard
You'll be on your knees praying for the National Guard

If you don't care now how the problems get solved
You can shake your head later, that you never got involved
'Cause the call came a ringing from the throne of gold
But you never got the message, never got the message
'Cause your mind's on hold

A politician next door
Swore he'd set the Washington Arena on fire
Thinks he'll gladiate them
But they're gonna make him a liar

Well, he's a good ole boy who was born and raised
In the buckle o' the Bible Belt
But remember when you step into your voting booth
He'll never lie, he'll just embellish the truth

Promises were made to be broken, right?
You've gotta play the game to win
When you need support, tell them that you born again

Granted.....it's not....."In the Garden"..............or anything..........

but, it's more relevant and Biblical, so, I'll take it.

This song has no better theology or biblical truth to it than some country western patriotic song written and performed by a god ol boy looking to make a buck off of the cultural situations of the day. Might as well be talking about 'the man upstairs' for all that the Lord is identified here.

As for 'In the Garden', while I agree it isn't a particularly 'scriptural' song, what it is, is a representation of the peace and fellowship a believer has in His Saviour. It isn't meant to mean anything more than this. Your song there spits out things that are wrong and complains about them, but really, gives no resolution to it, offers no hope, and in fact, in the last verse, seems to intimate that being 'born again' is just a convenient lie used by politicians. And while in cases that is surely the case, where is the resolution? Where is the hope? Where is the offer of REAL salvation in Jesus Christ? It's 'relevant', but it is whiney and offers no solution.

• Members

I actually know of some and have read of others who have been influenced to different churches based upon learning more about writers of their favorite hymns. The whole argument that people will learn of CCM artists online and be badly influenced but won't do the same with other song writers doesn't hold water. With the internet it's just as easy to learn of the beliefs, church preferences and such of older song writers as it is new ones.

• Members
13 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

This song has no better theology or biblical truth to it than some country western patriotic song written and performed by a god ol boy looking to make a buck off of the cultural situations of the day. Might as well be talking about 'the man upstairs' for all that the Lord is identified here.

That's simply not true........at all.

No one who reads those lyrics and listens to that song could come to that conclusion.

That's....just well, frankly, either a lie or someone wittingly deceiving themselves.

That song, lyrically at least........strikes directly at the heart of abortion, homosexuality and sin and in absolutely THOSE TERMS  naming it as such, and calling it such, in precise and undeniable terms..............

Hate it all you want, but to say that it's just akin to "any" other country Westerns song is simply a lie Mike................

It isn't Country Western or Patriotic as such at all.

If you wanna support that absurd thesis....show me anyone from George Jones to Tracy Adkins to Patsy Cline to Toby Keith that puts lyrics like that out there, and you'll demonstrate your point.

Otherwise, you have simply your nefarious and non-disprovable assertion that all "CCM" is somehow attached to a world-wide Universal Church Ecumenicism Theory which frankly can't be argued and can't be debated proved or disproved.

But those lyrics are CLEARLY straight Bible, straight to the point and are NOTHING like "good ol' boy" music.

There's a million "good ol' boys" who do "Amazing Grace" (and other beloved hymns you do weekly) Mike.

Show me any with THESE LYRICS:

I heard the reverend say
What's to be debated?

I'm no Theology nut

none of them do songs with lyrics like this.  Neither does the hymnal.