• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Heads or Tails?

• Members

This is a "poll" but I don't know the proper way to do one.

I just punched a 1/2" plug out of these two "Silver Eagles" and am ready to start forming them into rings. If you had one made, would you prefer the "United States of America 1 Oz Fine Silver......" on the outside, or "Liberty, In God We Trust", and your birth year? All words should be visible, but some will be on the "inside" of the ring. These two are for Christmas gifts and I am NOT trying to sell anything to any of y'all. Just would like some opinions. (sorry for the bad cellphone pics) Thanks :) 

12295394_536974669795855_421473035428155

12299314_536974509795871_580979098807932

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Yes, that is a Silver  Walking Dollar.  I just received one in the mail yesterday, along with 17 other silver coins,... As a gift.

the coins I received included:

10 silver dimesm mint caondition

5 silver buffalo nickels, mint condition

Silver Canadian $5 Piece, mint condition

2 Silver Dollars, mint condition.

Also included with the coins was a 1oz. .999 Sunshine Silver Bar.

In God We Trust would be an awesome outward symbol,... if the wearer truly did trust in God.

• Members

I checked that out....

U.S. Code is 18 U.S.C. §331 reads: "Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States; or whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled or lightened - shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. [Emphasis added.]"

Still sounds like something you can't do, right?

This paragraph from the U.S. Mint website should clear this up:

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who 'fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States. This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent. (Source U.S. Mint)

Basically, "fraudulent intent" is the key here. The altered coin can only be used like a novelty. It is no longer legal tender after being altered. But a 1 oz .999 Silver dollar is not really a "dollar" anyway because the silver content alone is worth around $20

• Members
9 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

I checked that out....

U.S. Code is 18 U.S.C. §331 reads: "Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States; or whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled or lightened - shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. [Emphasis added.]"

Still sounds like something you can't do, right?

This paragraph from the U.S. Mint website should clear this up:

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who 'fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States. This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent. (Source U.S. Mint)

Basically, "fraudulent intent" is the key here. The altered coin can only be used like a novelty. It is no longer legal tender after being altered. But a 1 oz .999 Silver dollar is not really a "dollar" anyway because the silver content alone is worth around $20

Sounds like you are in the clear.

• Members

Silver Eagles are bullion and not tender. Silver coins are minted for bullion investment and not as currency since 1963.

Strangely the year of my birth, I wonder if you could make one in size 7.5, one in 11 and 2 in size 12 and how much would that be shipped to Maryland (gigglesnort). Don't let the gigglesnort fool you, I am serious. I may purchase several more and think this is a great gift idea.

You would be able to sell quite a bit on ebay I am guessing but I am sure it takes quite some effort and time to form them.

• Members

Yeah...I would think that if it were against the law, all those theme parks would be in all kinds of trouble with their coin pressing machines that turns a coin into a souvenir...stretching the coin into an oval shape and replacing George Washington or Abraham Lincoln with Mickey Mouse or a super hero.

• Members
2 hours ago, wretched said:

Silver Eagles are bullion and not tender. Silver coins are minted for bullion investment and not as currency since 1963.

Strangely the year of my birth, I wonder if you could make one in size 7.5, one in 11 and 2 in size 12 and how much would that be shipped to Maryland (gigglesnort). Don't let the gigglesnort fool you, I am serious. I may purchase several more and think this is a great gift idea.

You would be able to sell quite a bit on ebay I am guessing but I am sure it takes quite some effort and time to form them.

I think you better recheck that. From what I've read online they are legal tender. http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/american_eagles/?Action=american_eagle_silver

1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Yeah...I would think that if it were against the law, all those theme parks would be in all kinds of trouble with their coin pressing machines that turns a coin into a souvenir...stretching the coin into an oval shape and replacing George Washington or Abraham Lincoln with Mickey Mouse or a super hero.

Apparently, as long as you don't alter it to represent a different value you are OK. 

• Members

A little off subject but I had a little girl who used to ride my bus give me a gold panda coin like the one below as a gift on the last day of school. At first I didn't think much of it thinking it was a token you might get out of a gumball machine. About two weeks later I checked it out online and also took it to a coin store I found out it was worth $300.00! I took it back to her house and told her you better put it back where you got it before mom finds out. ha ha ha...

gold panda.jpg

Edited by Critical Mass

• Members
6 hours ago, Critical Mass said:

I think you better recheck that. From what I've read online they are legal tender. http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/american_eagles/?Action=american_eagle_silver

Apparently, as long as you don't alter it to represent a different value you are OK. 

Thanks bro but I don't need to recheck it, I have known it for many years.

There was a time I thought it would be wise to own bullion if the economy collapses but I came to realize that if or when that would occur before the great tribulation, only food/medicines and guns and ammo to get food/medicines would matter. You can't eat gold or silver and no one would value it if times were really bad.