• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Alternative Method for Finding New Content on OB

• Members

I've seen several posts regarding people having trouble finding new content, so I would like to offer an alternative method for those who aren't able to get new content to show in their activity stream. I got my activity stream working fine for new content, but I don't remember what I did!  :icon_redface:  In fact, I actually use the following method even though my new activity does show...

All you need to do is...

1.  Find a time when you can look through the forums; in which, you are satisfied that you have read all of the content that you want to read. This means that you have read EVERYTHING that you want to read. This may also mean that there may be something you may not want to read...now or in the future. I give this warning, because with the method I'm giving, everything will be shown as having been read already...and there's no way to go back and easily find something you haven't read.

2. After you have read everything, simply mark the site as read. This is done by clicking "Mark site read" located in the upper right corner...as seen in the picture below...

screenshot3.thumb.png.6259c4e77eac2ed605

3. This will cause all of the blue circles next to each forum category to turn light gray. The blue circles denote forum categories with new content; the light gray circles denote forum categories with no new content...as seen in the picture below...

newcontent.png.e23f507f1da624f451e67a313

...also, any categories with sub-forums will show new content in the sub-forum by the sub-forum's font being bold...as seen in the picture below. By the way, I think the circle next to the main forum should be blue also, but I had already read an item in another one of its sub-forums.

screenshot2.png.f6020f5caa4886e8e429aba2

Now, after you have marked the site as read...ON YOUR NEXT VISIT, ALL NEW CONTENT will be shown by the blue circles next to the forum category. After you have read each new item, their circles will turn light gray. If there are any items that you don't care to read, but you want to ensure that only new content is shown on your next visit, just mark the site read again before you leave the forum.

It's not as convenient as having all new content show in a single page, but it gets the job done well. ;)

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

I've been doing this but it still seems I must be missing something. It's also difficult that when I click on unread content and see something new, when I click that it takes me to the beginning of the thread rather than to the latest post I've not read. That means having to go to the end of the thread and then backtrack to wherever new postings have begun.

This new upgrade isn't user friendly and I greatly miss the interaction and fellowship we had before.

Thank you for pointing these things out to us NN!

• Members
8 minutes ago, John81 said:

It's also difficult that when I click on unread content and see something new, when I click that it takes me to the beginning of the thread rather than to the latest post I've not read. That means having to go to the end of the thread and then backtrack to wherever new postings have begun.

It's the same whether you use this method or the new content in the Activity Stream...it takes me to the very first post of the thread instead of the newest that I haven't read...so it appears to be a possible glitch in the latest upgrade,

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

Thanks for the idea "no nicolaitans"  It's one approach, but still requires multiple steps each time. I really liked the previous version better, showing new content within all threads on one page, as it is much more time consuming to hunt through each section/subsection and then when you do find one, have to start at page 1 (sometimes when there are 17 pages, etc).  There is going to be less conversations/fellowship when less people can find the content :(  Hope they consider "undoing" the recent "update"??? Where at least ONE of the 3 selection buttons (browse/forum/home) takes you to new content on one page instead of all the options taking you to the exact same page (wouldn't be a need for the 3 options, would there?) Just my 2 cents.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, John81 said:

I've been doing this but it still seems I must be missing something. It's also difficult that when I click on unread content and see something new, when I click that it takes me to the beginning of the thread rather than to the latest post I've not read. That means having to go to the end of the thread and then backtrack to wherever new postings have begun.

This new upgrade isn't user friendly and I greatly miss the interaction and fellowship we had before.

Thank you for pointing these things out to us NN!

I've done this and have the same gripe. I don't want to just go to the thread, I want to go to the posts I have not read. I'm sure that Bro. Matt can change the parameters so that it goes to the post, not just the thread.

The way it was before the upgrade it took you right to what you have not read.:D

Edited by Jim_Alaska

• Members
3 hours ago, Salyan said:

To go to the last unread post, click the round button to the left of the thread title. Title takes you to the top of the thread, round button takes you to your last unread.

That works! Finally! Thanks Salyan! I did notice that some of the buttons are shaped like stars...not sure what that means? If anyone isn't sure what to click, this is it...

Finally.thumb.png.816bc83e4af74bb6adea60