• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

51st State?

• Members

I probably could have placed this article in the humor, but considering the way things are going with the U.S. government and their insane actions as of late, I decided to to place it here . . . . who knows it could happen.   (A joke?)

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/ukraine-wants-be-51st-us-state/ri10574

• Moderators

That's probably one of the counties interested. This idea is based on the fact that the entire north third of California has ONE representative. Now, I understand how the apportionment works-we're very rural areas, so there's not the sheer numbers. However, an entire THIRD of a state with so little representation, especially when most of the southern parts of the state get a lot of their natural resources pulled from the northern third. The water, the wood, all kinds of things, come from our areas, and we have no say in its use. Most laws are made with large city areas in mind, that make no sense for us in our rural communities. yet we have no realistic say in anything. We lose our water to the south, and end up with lowered water tables here for our areas, especially they agricultural areas like ours. So we're tired of no representation and seeing our resources taken south.

Will it work? I suspect not, because of course the California congress has to approve of it, and I don't think they will. But things that are right are rarely easy, and success doesn't decide whether the attempt is made, right does.

• Members

There are a few States which have a portion which would like to break away from the exceedingly liberal section of their State. Over the years there have also been calls to make Puerto Rico a State, mostly pushed by Dems and those akin to them in Puerto Rico. Ironically, during one election in Puerto Rico to consider such the voters determined they would lose too many hand outs if they became a State!

• Members

Douglas County Oregon would love to do that.  We vote considerably more conservative than the super liberal population bases in Portland/Salem/Eugene and we are beyond sick of it here in Southwest Oregon.

The idea of voting is that you get the govt. that most vote for.  If you opt out, and then others want to opt out from you and then others want to opt out from them. Where do you end up?  City states like in Abraham's time I suppose.

• Members

Actually, the likes of McCain and Lindsey Graham would take even a tongue in cheek idea into consideration if they could use it to get their way. I think we all know Ukraine isn't going to be becoming a State of the USA, but there are various places in America which would like to break away from their liberal portions of the State which are draining them of their money while burdening them with taxes, regulations and laws not in their interests.