• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Not respecting God’s Word

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Have you never had a misunderstanding because someone from a different culture or point of reference had a different meaning then you of a common word. We need to adjust to Gods words and what they meant in that context. Just because we don't understand exactly the way it is written doesn't mean the Word is wrong.

I once was giving directions to a stranger in my place of business. It was very simple. 2 blocks, turn right , take the next left and go down the hill. The stranger said they had just done that and there was no hill. I have lived here since 1968. There is a hill!  Some one listening picked up on where the stranger was from and repeated the same directions and used the word "bluff" . "Oh!" said the stranger, "yes , I saw the bluff"

Was I lying? Were they lying? When we have questions we need be careful of being adamant about our own perspective.

Four blind men came upon an elephant . One felt the tail said "The elephant is like a rope" . One felt the trunk and said" No the elephant is like a snake" . Another felt the leg and said " The elephant is like a tree" .The last one felt its' side and said " The elephant is like a wall."

All had their own perspective. Would they consider other input or pridefully  insist on their own experience.

Measure things on the entire Word of God and don' t assume you know it all, but be ready to accept answers based on it in its entirety.

• Members
1 hour ago, Ronda said:

????   We do not need to adjust God's words.

Hi Rhonda, take a look at your post carefully. This is exactly what 2Tim is saying. We adjust TO the Word, not the other way around.

Leave out one word from a phrase or sentence and its changes the meaning, in a case like this, you reversed the meaning without realizing it by overlooking one word.

• Members
3 hours ago, Ronda said:

????   We do not need to adjust God's words.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎03‎:‎22‎, 2ndTimothy said:

We need to adjust to Gods words and what they meant in that context. (emboldening, underlining, and italics added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Sister Ronda,

If I may graciously add to Brother "Wretched's" corrective above - Your statement and Brother "2ndTimothy's" statement are different; and as such, both statement are actually true.

Your statement -- "We do not need to adjust God's words."  In this statement you have used the phrase, "God's words" as the direct object for the infinitive, "to adjust."  As such, the act of adjusting would be enacted upon "God's words" themselves; and with your phrase, "We do not need," you deny that we should engage in such an activity.  In this you are absolutely correct.

However, Brother "2ndTimothy's" statement is different than yours -- "We need to adjust to God's words."  In his statement, where you used the phrase, "God's words," as the direct object of the infinitive, "to adjust," he used the prepositional phrase, "to God's words."  As such, the act of adjusting would be enacted unto or toward the direction of "God's words;" and that which is the adjusting is to be enacted upon is implied by the context as -- ourselves.  Even so, Brother "2ndTimothy's" statement indicates that we should be adjusting ourselves unto the direction of God's words.  In this he is also absolutely correct.

I pray that this added corrective might be taken with the grace in which it was intended, and that it might be of help in its explanation.

Furthermore unto all, (as a more general point) I pray that the explanation of this corrective might be useful in emphasizing the importance of grammatical construction for all reading comprehension (which is especially important for Bible study itself).  Herein it is worthy of notice that the inclusion or exclusion of just a single word can indeed change the meaning of an entire statement.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

And you are very correct Pastor Markle, not just in pointing it out to me (I am thankful you did), but also in that just ONE word can make a HUGE difference...  it certainly does!  I apologize again, "2nd Timothy", and I'm thankful it wasn't scripture I omitted a word from, since entire doctrines can be corrupted from omitting even a small word in scripture. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible, plenary, and preserved Word of God.  We must maintain a most high regard to it in the fear of our most Holy God.  Indeed, the Lord changes not and is not the author of confusion.  Anyone can derive knowledge from the Word, but there is no understanding without spiritual discernment (I Cor.2:14).  Too often, too many have taken what appears to them as contradictions and in their subtilely deceived zeal...try ever so hard to bring God's Word down to their level of understanding.  This is very dangerous ground to tread on.  It must always be remembered that God's thoughts and ways are omnisciently and omnipotently higher than ours, and so we must be growing UP more and more in Him seeking discernment, understanding, and wisdom from Him.  There will be areas that we don't fully come to understand even after seeking His ways and thoughts...but we must be careful not to "major" on those areas and be distracted from continuing in God's ways in the areas that we do understand.  We also need to be careful not to "put words in God's mouth"...but to revere every word that does proceed out of the mouth of God.  ('Just a question...why should the Lord grant us "meaty" understanding if we aren't following Him in obedience in less "meaty" things?)  He knows our hearts and desires, and He knows when we are truly "fearing" Him as we ought to.  We must be carefully aware to not base beliefs on or by emotions, feelings, our minds, personal preferences or standards, or by placing over-confidence in "men" (including ourselves).

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Mt. 5:16).  I praise God for Godly men that shew their faith by their works, in deed as well as in truth - "...For they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you" (Heb. 13:17).  

Does anyone dare have the audacity to try to "change" Jesus - most perfect Saviour?  HE IS  the WORD... (John 1:1) so truly we need to be ever so careful to "fear" Him and His Word as we ought to.

• Moderators

Its weird how you'll find especially gap theory people who are strong KJV only folks, but will argue "EXCEPT where they got it wrong in Gen 1:2, and will write books on why it is wrong and should actually be written in a manner not used in any earlier TR text or anywhere else.

Don't take this as a gap theory argument starter. I am sure not all do, but I have read many who are, and do. Max Younce spends a great amount of energy defending the reliability of the KJV text, and an equal amount to explain why it is wrong in that case. If it is true, it is true.

Also, those who love the KJV but ignore clear scriptures that don't agree with them, or explain it away, like in 1Cor 11, try arguing with a KJV-only Mennonite that a woman's long hair is given her for a covering. No, sorry, it doesn't mean that. Yeah, right. Or the parts that were written just for THAT time, for THAT audience, like anything about women pastors.

• Members
1 hour ago, WellWithMySoul said:

The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible, plenary, and preserved Word of God.  We must maintain a most high regard to it in the fear of our most Holy God.  Indeed, the Lord changes not and is not the author of confusion.  Anyone can derive knowledge from the Word, but there is no understanding without spiritual discernment (I Cor.2:14).  Too often, too many have taken what appears to them as contradictions and in their subtilely deceived zeal...try ever so hard to bring God's Word down to their level of understanding.  This is very dangerous ground to tread on.  It must always be remembered that God's thoughts and ways are omnisciently and omnipotently higher than ours, and so we must be growing UP more and more in Him seeking discernment, understanding, and wisdom from Him.  There will be areas that we don't fully come to understand even after seeking His ways and thoughts...but we must be careful not to "major" on those areas and be distracted from continuing in God's ways in the areas that we do understand.  We also need to be careful not to "put words in God's mouth"...but to revere every word that does proceed out of the mouth of God.  ('Just a question...why should the Lord grant us "meaty" understanding if we aren't following Him in obedience in less "meaty" things?)  He knows our hearts and desires, and He knows when we are truly "fearing" Him as we ought to.  We must be carefully aware to not base beliefs on or by emotions, feelings, our minds, personal preferences or standards, or by placing over-confidence in "men" (including ourselves).

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Mt. 5:16).  I praise God for Godly men that shew their faith by their works, in deed as well as in truth - "...For they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you" (Heb. 13:17).  

Does anyone dare have the audacity to try to "change" Jesus - most perfect Saviour?  HE IS  the WORD... (John 1:1) so truly we need to be ever so careful to "fear" Him and His Word as we ought to.

There is a lot of profound wisdom in what WellWithMySoul said.

We need to have a high regard for the written scriptures. The complete thoughts of God, the plan of God, the work of God is past our understanding. We need to simply accept and belive, what we read and not question or doubt the scriptures.

A careful reading of Deuteronomy 29:29 will help all of us. "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words fo this law."

• Members
1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

Don't take this as a gap theory argument starter. I am sure not all do, but I have read many who are, and do. Max Younce spends a great amount of energy defending the reliability of the KJV text, and an equal amount to explain why it is wrong in that case. If it is true, it is true

The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second,,,,,,, Genesis 1:3 " And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. "

No "gap" there.

• Members

Those who try to find secret or hidden meanings, or gaps typically do so because they can't understand the Word to their satisfaction and/or are unwilling to accept that the clear reading of the Word could be true. We could use some more preaching on Deuteronomy 29:29 and for folks to actually accept it. Our infinite, all-wise, perfect God gave us His Word which contains all we need to know at this time. Many things are not contained in the Word because God knows they are not necessary or needful for us, and we simply couldn't grasp it all anyway with our limited minds.

We need to be content with what God has revealed to us and live our lives in accord with that instead of being discontent to accept the Word as is and wasting time trying to fill in perceived gaps or figure out what God really meant.

"The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law." Deuteronomy 29:29

• Members

In agreement with Mike, it's very grievous the twisting of scriptues to try to "explain away" the enmeshing of the gender roles that God explicitly set up!  It's incredulous how any woman could ever believe she was glorifying the Lord by being a "pastor"!  Sigh...it shows a total disregard to God's Word...and those that participate in that belief rob and sabotage themselves from the utter and abundant joy there truly can be in "ministering" to others and sharing the Gospel within the parameters of the distinct roles that God has given to us to obey.   Truly, God's ways are for our best, and so to follow Him in them with right hearts proves our faith and submissiveness to Him, and His light within shines forth bringing glory to Him.  Before God, the role of a pastor is very, very serious...for as I posted above..."they watch for our souls" and "give account".  I count it  a privilege and blessing to be able to share my heart and thoughts here on OLB....especially with so many members being Godly pastors.  Never wanting to overstep the bounds of my role as a lady...I try to ever so carefully and wisely measure what I share by the Word and what would be pleasing to the Lord.  Whether our minds and feelings can wrap around God's truths or not it's still better to obey than to "sacrifice" by holding the Word up with the highest regards....for it is God-breathed to us.

Edited by WellWithMySoul
spelling - typing 1-handed (broken arm/wrist)