• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where Did We Go Wrong?

• Members

I am working on an article about personal revival and I was doing some research online and came across this article:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-born-53454/

I have seen this at work, so I know it's true that Christians have become complacent.  Then I saw this article:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/many-born-again-christians-hold-universalist-view-barna-finds-49883/

WOW.  What has happened???  I knew things were bad, but wasn't quite expecting this.

• Members

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity." - Luke 13:24-27

The author at Christian Post and Barna fail to understand the biblical meaning of a Christian.  Most of the people polled are not Christians.

• Members

The author at Christian Post and Barna fail to understand the biblical meaning of a Christian.  Most of the people polled are not Christians.

I do understand that, but I would assume that the people surveyed are calling themselves Christian, and if so many people can consider themselves Christian and be so far off the mark, I think that points to a serious failure on the part of the true Christians....

• Members

thank you, gentlemen!  this will give me something to discuss with my husband when he comes back from his trip.  I know from the woman's perspective, if  you believe women are to be submissive in the home and the church you are looked on as a traitor to your sex.  We have gotten ourselves into quite a spot.

• Members

The Lord our God has placed the responsibility of spiritual leadership for individual homes and individual churches upon the shoulders of the men.  Even so, the men are responsible to lead and to teach their respective wives and children, as well as to influence their churches, in the truth of God's Holy Word.  However, the majority of the men are no longer diligent students of God's Holy Word and are no longer walking after God's Holy Spirit (but after their own selfish flesh); therefore, they cannot lead and teach as they ought.  Sad to say, but this is even true within the pastoral leadership of many churches.  As such, our churches, our homes, and our children (as the next generation of adults) are all moving deeper into Biblical ignorance and spiritual corruption.  (As a side note: I strongly believe that the spiritual future of our churches is directly tied to the spiritual direction of our homes, and I strongly believe that the spiritual direction of our homes is directly tied to the spiritual character of our men.)

Ephesians 5:25-27 -- "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."

Ephesians 6:4 -- "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

Deuteronomy 6:1-9 -- "Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it [Notice the plural pronouns "you" and "ye" in verse 1.]: that thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son’s son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged [Notice the change to the singular pronouns "thou," "thee," and "thy" in verse 2.  Furthermore, notice the male references to male leadership in verse 2.  Finally, notice that the singular pronouns continue through verses 3-7.].  Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.  Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: and thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.  And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.  And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.  And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates."

Joshua 24:14-15 -- "Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Notice according to Joshua 24:1 who was called to this meeting with Joshua before the Lord.)

2 Timothy 2:2 -- "And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also."

Ezekiel 22:30 -- "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none."  (Consider also the following sermon -- http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=921151953480)

Being born male? All the burden is on men? As a result of the World's philosophy and ultimately the Devil's "feminist movement", men are blamed for all the ills of society. Is that one reason we have so many "gays"? It seems it's not very appealing to be a man anymore.

In the Bible we find the "odious woman", the "brawling woman in a wide house" and the "foolish woman" who "teareth down her house with her hands" which is speaking of a woman with the power and propensity to spiritually destroy her home. But Paul, whenever he addressed the home, laid the responsibility on BOTH the man and the woman, husband and wife. I have actually heard men propagate to wicked lie that "If the sorry man don't lead, the wife ain't obligated to follow".  That isn't how Paul taught: He taught things like: if your husband won't be spiritual, he just might  be "won" by the "chaste conversation" of the wife. That's a command to take responsibility by submitting and behaving like a Christian wife no matter what, in order to turn one's home around. If that isn't "leading" I don't knw what is. I think maybe a lot of men stick to the "man responsibility" thing and are afraid to preach the other. The whole counsel.

It's husband AND wife leadership. Husband love, wife submit, "defraud ye not one the other", things like that. That's how Paul taught. The half teaching isn't working.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I do tend to agree that we both bear blame.  If a woman is bent on disobedience, no matter how godly the man is, she will be disobedient.  Women need to be teaching the girls and young ladies what it means to be a godly female, obedient to the divinely instituted male leadership.  Men do need to step up, be better examples, assert their divine roles, treat women in a respectful, biblical way, careful not to abuse that authority, and most of all teach solid biblical doctrine.  It is intended to be a partnership, will well defined roles for both, and it will take a solid biblical partnership to fix it.