• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Taking Mom Home

• Moderators

Well, after all the craziness from dad's graduation to glory, plans are now set for Mom's trip to her new home.

On Oct 26, I'm going to be driving her and her stuff and her cat to Louisiana to live with my sister and her family, who are very excited to have her come to stay. As I mentioned in another post, a good friend donated us the money for the trip, so I have gotten my truck reserved and my trip planned out. So just seeking prayer for this trip. We are going to be driving back, my wife and I, in our Tempo, which is questionable for such a long trip, so extra prayer there.

Thanks for all the prayer up to this point-I believe it has done great things for us.

• Moderators

I have one final prayer request to put forth in this area.

When my parents moved back from Virginia to Reno about 4 years ago, the housing market was so poor they couldn't sell their house, though its a very nice place. So, the realtor they had been working with offered to lease the house, as it was what they were looking for, with an option to buy it. The deal was, first year they could buy, then it would just be month to month rent, enough to cover the house payment and insurance.  My parents chose to do this, as he showed himself to be a good Christian.

Well, now we have found out that he has made numerous changes to the place without asking permission, including removing trees and other major modifications. And once my father passed away, my mother spoke to him and asked if he was planning to purchase the house, as she now needed to be released from it, either by his buying it, or her putting it back on the market. Well, he was indignant, and said that if she wanted, he could just quick claim it to her, (basically, give it to him for nothing, and he would just keep making payments), but now that the market is up, the house could bring close to $200,000. So he has decided he just isn't moving out now. So now my mom has to pay a lawyer there to start the process of getting him out, all the while hoping he will continue to pay while he is there, (he did pay this month), so she doesn't go into arrears on the house payments.

So, please pray that this fellow does the right thing and that she can get the house on the market and get a good price for it, and get out from under it. 

Thanks

• Administrators

Mike, the man is a charlatan. I know a bit about real estate investing and this is a trick that unscrupulous investors use. His offer of lease with option to buy is probably against the real estate code of ethics too. This is because he is a realtor and has a fiduciary duty to be ethical and always keep any dealings he has with his customers at an "arms length".

His plan was to get the lease with option to buy, then if the house looked like it would be sold he would immediately exercise his option and do what is called a "simultaneous closing". This way he would only pay your parents for the amount they agreed to for his lease option, he would get to pocket anything over that amount because he was the actual owner at the time of sale.

Mike, I edited this to add something. There may be another twist to this scenario. Is the Realtor actually living in the house? It would be a simple thing to lease the house from your parents for a certain amount and then sub-lease it to another party. He would then be able to make his lease payments to your parents and pocket the difference between what your parents leased it to him for and what he sub-leases it to another party for.

Even if he is actually living in the house there is no reason it cannot be put back on the market with a different Realtor. Remember he is on a month to month lease, you just set the closing date for thirty days out, then he has to get out because there is no lease between him and the new owners. If you want him out of the house you could threaten to turn him in to the board of Realtors, that will get him out quickly.

Edited by Jim_Alaska

• Moderators

He is living in the house, but he refuses to leave, and these days, the courts often find for the renter, and it can take months to get them out, and of course, we're concerned he will damage the house. We wanted to get a realtor in to take pictures, but since he won't let anyone in, we can't, and we all know how disgruntled people will have no issue with destroying it before they leave.