• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - Revelation

• Members

The discussion over, "The Gap Theory," has been a form of entertainment, and verbal jousting, on a thread or two here on OnLine Baptist before. And, if one is inclined to continue the "quibble" over the subject, I suggest you find one those threads or start another one. I was just trying to be honest in my review and comments and let everyone know that even though I highly regard the work of Larkin, there is one area we are not in agreement. Even though we are not in agreement in this area I still would like to recommend all of Larkin's books for all of the brethren and sistern. I have probably said all that I am inclined to say.

Alan

• Members

I read the following on Facebook regarding the FIEC by Ian Day

I am a member of Cranford Baptist Church (FIEC) which 15 years ago was dying - fewer tan 10 members, all over 60. It is in an immigrant area near Heathrow Airport, The FIEC took an interest, & undertook to include in it's "Home Missions" programme by supporting a Pastor-Evangelist. Robin, a Pakistani Christian was called 13 years ago & under his leadership the church has built up again. The FIEC does not finance to support such churches - it calls for support from member churches. That pays his salary, while offerings support the church maintenance & activities. Without support from other churches the buildings would have been sold long ago, & a Gospel witness silenced. 

The FIEC is a group of INDEPENDENT churches holding a 9 point biblical, trinitarian, Gospel preaching, doctrinal basis that must be affirmed each year to continue affiliation. Being independent, individual churches may be charismatic, reformed, Baptist, paedobaptist, dispensational, amil, covenant, etc. We can choose which churches we fellowship with, within or without the FIEC. Affinity is a much looser organisation, also evangelical. I believe its basic purpose is to give an evangelical voice outwards - representing many more Christians than any of its constituent bodies.

I would add that the FIEC churches are all independent, except for one group who are called United Evangelical Churches and were admitted a few years ago and  some thought that broke the rules of Independent Churches, including me.

The United Evangelical Churches were originally called The Peculiar People and were mainly confined to the county of Essex, but there were at one time a couple of congregations here in Kent.  The PP were founded by a man called George Banyard as there was no evangelical witness in the area.  When one of his members was sick he insisted that the elders visited him and as James mentions.The man was healed and from that time they only allowed elders to visit and forbade members to visit the doctors.  Eventually the wife of George Banyard  was ill and she was not healed and he called the doctor.  because of that George Banyard  was thrown out of the PP.  About 1986 we were camping in Essex and met some of the former PP.  I don't think they hold such views now.

I have been unable to find much about the history of the PP, but I did find one small book and a story caught my attention.  A young man attended a C of E church mainly because he was in the choir, on one particular day there was to be a wedding and he was intending to sing. His sister was in the  PP and she asked him to attend a gospel preaching on the same day. He replied that he had to sing in the choir as he would get paid half a crown.  "What sell you soul for half a crown" his sister replied. He went to the preaching and wrote "My sister was correct, I gave up half a crown and received a whole crown" 

Mostly the members were poor people who were farm labourers and only had their work clothes,but on a Sunday, the wore a smock over their working clothes.

Edited by Invicta
EDITED TO ADD TEXT

• Members

The discussion over, "The Gap Theory," has been a form of entertainment, and verbal jousting, on a thread or two here on OnLine Baptist before. And, if one is inclined to continue the "quibble" over the subject, I suggest you find one those threads or start another one. I was just trying to be honest in my review and comments and let everyone know that even though I highly regard the work of Larkin, there is one area we are not in agreement. Even though we are not in agreement in this area I still would like to recommend all of Larkin's books for all of the brethren and sistern. I have probably said all that I am inclined to say.

Alan

The gap theory AND the other false teachings. Don't forget the others.

I am just tryin to point out he is not as level headed toward the Bible as he is portrayed by you and others.

That's all.

And how can you trust someone like this for accurate information or views on what the Bible REALLY teaches about prophecy?

And I am sorry Alan, just one more comment - any teaching using scripture IS considered doctrine, because that is what the word doctrine means,

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

I will reiterate, for the second and last itme.

This review was a subject on the review of the, Book of Revelation by Clarence Larkin. The teachings of Larkin on the subject of the prophecies of the Book of Revelation is entirely correct.

The gap theory AND the other false teachings. Don't forget the others.

I am just tryin to point out he is not as level headed toward the Bible as he is portrayed by you and others.

That's all.

And how can you trust someone like this for accurate information or views on what the Bible REALLY teaches about prophecy?

And I am sorry Alan, just one more comment - any teaching using scripture IS considered doctrine, because that is what the word doctrine means,

His teaching on the subject of the the Gap Theory is not correct. Please forgive me for saying so, The Gap Theory is not found in the book of Revelation or is it a prophecy that anything to do with the the book of Revelation.

Genevanpreacher, your dislike of Larkin and his teachings is open to all. You are just using the above excuse as a pretext to try and discount the teachings of Larkin on prophecy.  You appear to dislike Larkin due to your own disbelief of the pre-tribulation rapture of the church as clearly taught in the scriptures. In my opinion, as with other brethren who are not willing to change their beliefs when confronted with the truth, they scorn, belittle, deride, poke fun of, slander, the man of God teaching the truth in order to try and cause others to not listen to, or read, the teachings of the man of God, and to justify their incorrect doctrinal beliefs.

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

I will reiterate, for the second and last itme.

This review was a subject on the review of the, Book of Revelation by Clarence Larkin. The teachings of Larkin on the subject of the prophecies of the Book of Revelation is entirely correct.

His teaching on the subject of the the Gap Theory is not correct. Please forgive me for saying so, The Gap Theory is not found in the book of Revelation or is it a prophecy that anything to do with the the book of Revelation.

Genevanpreacher, your dislike of Larkin and his teachings is open to all. You are just using the above excuse as a pretext to try and discount the teachings of Larkin on prophecy.  You appear to dislike Larkin due to your own disbelief of the pre-tribulation rapture of the church as clearly taught in the scriptures. In my opinion, as with other brethren who are not willing to change their beliefs when confronted with the truth, they scorn, belittle, deride, poke fun of, slander, the man of God teaching the truth in order to try and cause others to not listen to, or read, the teachings of the man of God, and to justify their incorrect doctrinal beliefs.

Alan

Yes Alan, you are once again right.

Men will deride the truth that is right in front of their very eyes, when they have no defense of their false beliefs, especially when they are based on a man, or men, that have issues with what they think is right doctrine; but in truth is heretical to the accuracy of the creation event, which is the main source of all truth from the scriptures.

Larkin can't get the creation event correct, as per his view on the supposed gap theory, how can we expect him to get anything correct on the end things?

ReliabiIty is top dog for a Christian.

If somone isn't reliable on something like creation, because of the false institution in his own day on evolution and it's heresy, then their 'views' on everything else get skewd to balance that which is lacking.

Alan I suggest that you calm it.  What you and Larkin are teaching is only an interpretation and is not clearly shown in scripture, it it were we would all clearly see it.

God Bless

David

Amen.

• Members

It is so sad that some people have to resort to false statements, twisting of my posts, concerning Larkin due to an inability to accept the doctrinal truth about the events in the Book of Revelation.

Brethren,

In conclusion, the book of Revelation by Clarence Larkin, is an excellent book for the study of prophecy and the fulfillment thereof. I heartedly recommend it. Larkin is doctrinally correct in his teachings of end time prophecy.  I would suggest obtaining a copy.

Alan

• Members

Benediction,

I want to thank those brethren who have added to the harmony of this review of Clarence Larkin's book on Revelation. I always enjoy the study of good books written by men of God of old in order to gain a richer understanding of the scriptures. It is my sincere hope that this review has helped you in your walk with the Lord Jesus and His soon coming. At this time I would like to conclude this review with the benediction hymn, "God Be With You 'til We Meet Again." If the moderators would like to block this thread that is agreeable with me.

Alan

• Members

I've seen the Larkin battle before. Years ago a fine Baptist pastor advised we stay away from Larkin. As he put it, if a man can't get the first of the book (Bible) right he can't be trusted with the rest of it either. While I don't recall their names now, this pastor suggested a couple others writings on the topic who he said were more "overall scripturally sound" and thus a more reliable source to both read and refer others to.

• Members

I've seen the Larkin battle before. Years ago a fine Baptist pastor advised we stay away from Larkin. As he put it, if a man can't get the first of the book (Bible) right he can't be trusted with the rest of it either. While I don't recall their names now, this pastor suggested a couple others writings on the topic who he said were more "overall scripturally sound" and thus a more reliable source to both read and refer others to.

Thank you John. The witness of two.

• Members

Benediction,

I want to thank those brethren who have added to the harmony of this review of Clarence Larkin's book on Revelation. I always enjoy the study of good books written by men of God of old in order to gain a richer understanding of the scriptures. It is my sincere hope that this review has helped you in your walk with the Lord Jesus and His soon coming. At this time I would like to conclude this review with the benediction hymn, "God Be With You 'til We Meet Again." If the moderators would like to block this thread that is agreeable with me.

Alan

Of course you want them to, Alan.

*Sleep on my friend. 

*Matt. 25 -

5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.