• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - Revelation

• Members

In an more concentrated effort to keep this thread only a review of the work by Larkin I will condense the next, and probably last lesson, further in order to not make this thread into a discussion of eschatology.

Alan

• Members

Review of the book, “The Book of Revelation.”

By Clarence Larkin

Review by Alan

Review Notes:

1. This review will broadly cover the events from Page 136 to the end of the book.

2. The Charts do more justice to the understanding of the method of Larkin’s method, understanding, and interpretation of the prophetic events of Revelation so I will let them speak for themselves as for the content.

3. I am not including all of the charts, maps, and diagrams. I am being selective to give the reader a broad understanding of the book.

The Seven Vials

Revelation 16:1 to 21

Larkin interprets the seven ‘vial’ judgments to be literal.

“The Seven Vials and the Egyptian Plagues Compared.” Chart

2Q==

The above chart is found on page 141

“The Resurrections”

Revelation 20:4-6

One of the difficulties of the book of Revelation is the numerous “calling up,” “reaping,” “harvesting,” and “resurrections” mentioned and the difficulty in the proper interpretation of each one. This has called undue different interpretations concerning the coming of Christ for the church (the Rapture) whether it is pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, or post-tribulation. Confusion is rampant.

Larkin handles this matter this matter satisfactory to my estimation and his section on, “The First Resurrection,” page 176 to 180, with a chart included, is noteworthy.

“The Resurrections” Chart

Z

This chart is found on page 176.

The Millennium

Larkin believes in a literal 1000 Year reign of Christ, in the restored land of Israel. He goes into detail on the “Stone Kingdom” as prophesied by Daniel, the “Form of Government,” the, “Seat of Government,” the “Millennial Temple,” as prophesied by Ezekiel and other prophesies as prophesied by the prophets.

“The Millennial Land” Chart

Based on Ezekiel 48:1-35

9k=

The above chart is found on page 185

In conclusion, I thoroughly recommend, “The Book of Revelation,” by Larkin. His interpretations, charts, diagrams, maps give a very scriptural understanding of the book of Revelation and the appropriate references of the Old Testament prophets.

“The Book of Revelation,” is a book that must be studied and is primarily directed to the serious student of scripture.

Alan

• Members

Francisco Ribera was an Augustinian amillennialist. His interpretation of Daniel 9:24-27 was a futurist interpretation but he applied it to the church and not to Israel. He viewed half of the Great Tribulation already taking place at 70 AD with 3 1/2 years yet future but none of it had nothing to do with Israel but rather the Catholic Church turning from the Pope and going into apostasy.

Luis del Alcazar was a full blown Preterist who wrote the first major work on the preterist view. He believed everything in Revelation was already fulfilled except for the last three chapters of Revelation.

Neither man's eschatology was anything near what Larkin or modern day premil/pretrib/dispensationalists teach. They MAY have revived a futurist view of eschatology that was buried under years of Dark Age Roman Catholic heresies but it was incidental and accidental. 

• Members

Brethren,

Clarence Larkin simply explained in a clear manner the biblical doctrine of the literal view of the Book of Revelation. Larkin clearly expounded the prophecies of the Old Testament prophecies and "rightly divided" the fulfillment of these prophecies correctly. During the Dark Ages, the Roman Catholic church, killed the true believers, destroyed the writings of the true believers, and only allowed the writings of those who accepted th Roman Catholic method of eschatology.

All of the beliefs of the Reformers; Martin Luther, Calvin, Reformed Baptists, et al, are based on Roman Catholic doctrine.

God raised up Larkin, and other Bible believers, to explain and teach the truth. Larkin is despised by these 'reformers' because he wrote the biblical truth cocerning the prophecies of the scriptures.

All Larkin, and other true Bible Believers, did was revive the true biblical teachings of the Book of Daniel, the Olivet discourse, and the Book of Revelation.

The a-millennialist, post-millenialist, Preterist, beliefs concerning the Second coming, the prophesices of Daniel, the Olivet discourse, and the book of Revelation are in error. Serious error.

Alan

Edited by Alan
merging error spelling

• Members

Brethren,

Clarence Larkin simply explained in a clear manner the biblical doctrine of the literal view of the Book of Revelation. Larkin clearly expounded the prophecies of the Old Testament prophecies and "rightly divided" the fulfillment of these prophecies correctly. During the Dark Ages, the Roman Catholic church, killed the true believers, destroyed the writings of the true believers, and only allowed the writings of those who accepted th Roman Catholic method of eschatology.

All of the beliefs of the Reformers; Martin Luther, Calvin, Reformed Baptists, et al, are based on Roman Catholic doctrine.

God raised up Larkin, and other Bible believers, to explain and teach the truth. Larkin is despised by these 'reformers' because he wrote the biblical truth cocerning the prophecies of the scriptures.

All Larkin, and other true Bible Believers, did was revive the true biblical teachings of the Book of Daniel, the Olivet discourse, and the Book of Revelation.

The a-millennialist, post-millenialist, Preterist, beliefs concerning the Second coming, the prophesices of Daniel, the Olivet discourse, and the book of Revelation are in error. Serious error.

Alan

Although the RCC destroyed the books of the true believers, we can sometime garner from the RC writings something about them.  The references that follow are from memory.  I can look them up but it may take a long time.

One writer said that the heretics reject marriage.  The same writer said that the heretics 'carry there wives about with them'  From that we can gather that the believers rejected RCC marriage.

Another, or may be the same one, said that the heretics reject baptism.  No doubt RCC baptism.

One was sent to exterminate heretics and told that they had black teeth and hairy tongues. He reported back that they were completely normal and not only that, every child could read, at a time when most priests could not.  We gather from that hat because their faith was based on scripture, they had a high regard for literacy to enable them to read the scriptures.  Indeed, we read that the founder of the Paulikians, or Paulicians, was given a copy of the scriptures by a passing traveller.  It is possible that these scriptures were not given without a prayer.  They were called Paulikians after the apostle Paul.   it is possible that the only  books they were given were the epistles of Paul, but they continued continued for some centuries, under first the Eastern Empire where they were severely persecuted, then transported to the west where they were calle Poplicani, then Publicani moving further west the eventually merged with other groups such as the Waldensians.  In Bulgaria and neighbouring states they were called Bogomils.  When the Turks came, they promised freedom of religion, but eventually I believe they died out.  One writer said that they must have been heretics because they went over to the Turks. But it was not an easy choice.  Turks on one hand and the Inquisition on the other.

• Members

Brethren,

Alan

Since I said I will stop, meaning being 'degrading' (obviously from your view point) to this thread, I will just make a comment not meaning to get this thread off course.

Since you say Mr. Larkin "clearly expounded" and "rightly divided", does that mean we should regard Mr, Larkin above our own 'rightly dividing'?

And, where do you get information like this from - "During the Dark Ages, the Roman Catholic church, killed the true believers, destroyed the writings of the true believers, and only allowed the writings of those who accepted the Roman Catholic method of eschatology."

If that is true, where did we get information on what the 'true' believers believed? They killed off true believers and destroyed their writings? Where is the 'true teachings' of men of God in the past? Do we really not have ANY physical writings of the 'true' beliefs from men before the Reformation times?

• Members

In my opinon, very littte remains of the true writings. There are still some good writings but not a lot.

Oh, by the way, for everybody's information, the same thing has happened in Chinese history. Throughout chinese history the pagan authoirities destroyed the writings of their enemies; this included some known Chinese communities in centruies past.

And, once the Chinese Communists, in 1949, took power in mainland China, and Chiang Kai-Shek and apporximately 2,000,000,000 citizens fled to Taiwan (where I am a missionary), the Chinese comunists killed and imprisoned thousands of Christiasns, destroyed their written materials and bibles.

The Roman Catholic Church, communists, evil leaders, and the Scribes, Pharisees, and hyocrites throughout the Church Age have destroyed good Christian writers, belittled them, mocked their writings and slanded them.

Brethren, a true church is an independent church from any ecclesiastical authority. ALL OF THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCHES WERE INDEPEPENDENT.Once a church , or a movement, became a denomination the leaders of the denomination refused to have the writings of the independent churches tought and then ridiculed any independant Baptist writers.

This is why the denoinational leaders and writings with in the denomination) of the Roman Catholic Church, the Presbryterian Church (Calvinists), the Reformed Church (Reformed Baptist Church included), The Assemblies of God (Charismatics), the American Baptist Church, et tal, despise Larkin, Schofield, O.B. Green, John R. Rice, and other Godly, Holy spirit filled men.

Alan 

• Members

Reformed Baptist churches that I know are all independent., as are reformed Evangelical churches.  They would (mostly) reject Larkin because it is modernism and doesn't accord with scripture.

• Members

I have a question for our brethren in England.

Is your church a member of the: http://www.grace.org.uk/churches/assoc.html ? or, is your church a member of a religious organization?

A question for our OnLine Baptist brethren in America.

Are any of you a member of the: 'Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America?"  Here is their website link for those who do not know about the "ARBCA." http://www.arbca.com/

If the moderators want to stop either question, detete the questions, or qualify the questions in any manner, that is fine with me and I would not object.

Alan

• Members

I don't mind answering Alan.

Our church is a member of FIEC.  As you will notice the I means independent.  We are not all that happy with them and would like to leave, and we have already informed the FIEC of that, but we would wish to carry our members with us and there is one family who are reluctant. We only have preachers from two or three FIEC churches, most others come from Grace Baptist Churches, In fact our preacher at this evening's bible study was John MacDonald who has recently retired as secretary of the Grace Baptist Missiioin.

There were two other Evangelical churches in our town, one was ex Brethren and now calls itself a Christian fellowship. The other should be a sister church to us but has gone on to be Ecumenical and charismatic and was thrown out of the FIEC a year or two ago.  There are two Baptist Churches in the town, one calls itself a Free Church (Baptist)  Both are Baptist Union and are ecumenical. 

• Members

Reformed Baptist churches that I know are all independent., as are reformed Evangelical churches.  They would (mostly) reject Larkin because it is modernism and doesn't accord with scripture.

Thank you for the information. I have read on the internet about FIEC. For those brethren who would like to visit the FIEC website here is the link: https://fiec.org.uk/events

Alan

Since this is a review of Larkin, I want to add this little info I just read from the other subject under discussion, Israel vs Church, where Alan made this posting -

"Almost all used Christian bookstores have copies avalible. While in Missorui I go to Steels Used Books; they are huge. Here is there website (you can order online):http://www.steelsbooks.com/

The one thing that I disagree with Larkin's Dispensational Truth is the section entitled, "Generation," or the, "Creative Ages." This section deals with his belief of the "Pre-Adamic Earth." I feel his belief in the, "Gap Theory," and his miss-interpretation of 2 Peter 3:5 & 6, and is the only detriment to the book. Larkin also has a section entitled, "Dispensational Teaching of the Great Pyramid," that I do not entirely agree with also. But, that section is not doctrinal. So, I will not quibble over it.

As with his other books, once you examine the scriptures very closely and get the right context, you can understand the scriptures better. Larkin's books must be studied and not just glanced overly lightly.

God bless.

Alan"

I want you to notice:

"The one thing that I disagree with Larkin's Dispensational Truth is the section entitled, "Generation," or the, "Creative Ages." This section deals with his belief of the "Pre-Adamic Earth." I feel his belief in the, "Gap Theory," and his miss-interpretation of 2 Peter 3:5 & 6, and is the only detriment to the book. Larkin also has a section entitled, "Dispensational Teaching of the Great Pyramid," that I do not entirely agree with also. But, that section is not doctrinal. So, I will not quibble over it."

*This shows the mindset of a man, lifted up by some here, that correctly understands and rightly divides the word of God?*

(I think a little more "quibbling" needs to be done.)

Edited by Genevanpreacher