• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - Revelation

• Members

Review of the book, “The Book of Revelation,”

By Clarence Larkin

Review by Alan

Background of Larkin

Clarence Larkin, October 28, 1850 to January 24, 1924, was a Baptist pastor and Bible expositor. Converted at age 19, he joined the Episcopal Church. He entered college and graduated as an Mechanical Engineer. Larkin did not attend any theological seminary.

Larkin left the Episcopal Church and became a Baptist. Larkin was ordained into the ministry and was an, “American Baptist Church,” pastor. “The Book of Revelation,” a detailed Commentary with visual Charts, was originally a 4-month Sunday morning sermon series later developed into a Bible Institute course and eventually in book form.

As Pastor Larkin was an accomplished draftsman he used his abilities to produce the well known visual charts in, “The Book of Revelation,” his other monumental work, “Dispensational Truth,” and other books.

Overview

The Book of Revelation commentary was written in the futuristic interpretation. Larkin divided the book according to the ‘Three-Fold Division,” given to us in Revelation 1:19 by the Lord Jesus, “Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter.” All though the book Larkin gives the reader the Old Testament prophecies concerning the nation of Israel, the Gentile nations of the world, the prophetic utterances of the Lord in Matthew 24, and the fulfillment of these appropriate prophetic prophecies in the order of fulfillment.

Chart of the timeline of Events

The book is well written with all of the major events of the book of Revelation charted in the proper sequence of events. The accompanied chart, “The Book of Revelation,” Chart # 4, gives the student of scripture a broad overview of the book of Revelation with appropriate scripture references.[1] Please note that the chart was obtained from the web link: http://clarencelarkincharts.com/ and the wording, “Chart # 4,” is the websites descriptive number and in not written in the chart in the book by Larkin.

9k=

Throughout the book, various charts explain one another and the corresponding scripture references. The charts used in the book of Revelation by Larkin are available free of charge in the following web link: http://clarencelarkincharts.com/

Rapture of the Church

Larkin goes in great detail in interpreting that the coming of the Lord Jesus, as recorded in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, hereafter called, ‘the rapture,’ in the clouds, and not to the earth, for the church-age saints in a clear, understandable manner. Larkin brings out interesting details concerning His coming as depicted in Matthew 17:1-9[2] and other verses. Larkin brings out conclusive scriptural proof that the coming of the Lord Jesus, the rapture, occurs before the start of the time of ‘Jacob’s Trouble, Revelation 6:1

Therefore, because the rapture occurs in type with  John being caught up in the Spirit in Revelation 4:1 and 2, the word, ‘pre,’ meaning ‘before,’ has been included in non-biblical terminology. The meaning is a ‘pre-tribulation coming (rapture) of the Lord Jesus for the church. Much ado has been made of scoffers who say, “The word pre is not in the bible.” the word ‘pre’ just simply means before. The rapture occurs symbolically in Revelation 4: 1 & 2 and occurs before Revelation 6.

The 24 Elders – Revelation 4:4

Larkin brings out conclusive scriptural proof that the 24 elders are made up of 12 Old Testament and 12 New Testament redeemed men.[3] This is further proof of the rapture of the church before (or pre) the 7-year tribulation period commences in Revelation 6:1

The Judgment Seat of Christ – Revelation 4:4

Larkin brings out conclusively that the 24 elders were given out crowns at the Judgment Seat of Christ as brought out by Paul in 2 Corinthians 3:11-15, 2 Corinthians 5:10 and other pertinent scripture references[4] with an accompanying chart.

Matthew 24, ‘The Olivet discourse.’

In addition to the prophecies of the Old Testament prophets and the order of the their fulfilment, Larkin goes into detail with the prophetic prophecies of the Lord in Matthew 24, ‘The Olivet discourse.’ Larkin carefully goes through all of the three questions asked by the disciples in Matthew 24:1-3 and the answers with an accompanying chart.[5] The questions and answers asked and given are arranged in order with the appropriate scripture fulfilment in Revelation.

Daniel 9:27 and the Two witnesses

Larkin gives an overview, not a detailed explanation, of Daniel 9:27 and the ministry of the two witnesses in Revelation 11:1-14[6]

The 7 Vials and the 10 Egyptian Plagues

One of the interesting side notes of the book of Revelation is the comparison of some, not all, of the 10 Egyptian Plagues in the book of Exodus compared with the vials. No doctrines are expostulated but Larkin brings out some interesting comparisons not usually thought of by the average Revelation commentator. The accompanying chart on the plagues and the vials is helpful in the comparison.[7]

The 1000 Year Reign of Christ – Revelation 20:4-6

Larkin proves, by the prophetic utterances by the prophets and the Lord Jesus that the Millennial Reign of Christ is the literal reign of Christ, in Jerusalem, with the Jews restored in the land of Israel.[8] The various accompanying charts in this section are of great value.

The Millennial Temple – Ezekiel 40:1 to 44:31

Larkin proves that the millennial temple will be a literal temple through scripture and historical facts.[9]

Concluding Remarks

Larkin was blessed with the gracious ability to guide the reader to the truth of the book of Revelation according to the spirit found in 2 Timothy 2:24, “And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient.” Pastor Larkin was a servant of the Lord Jesus in all areas and an example for all of us.

Some other personal characteristics of Larkin are observed as one reads the book.

1. Larkin is not sensational. He is a matter-of-fact writer.

2. Larkin believes the scriptures as they are written.

3. When symbolism[10] is used in Revelation Larkin interprets it with scripture.

4. The charts are well-drawn, easily understood, and major scripture, when applicable, are noted.

5. The charts are illustrated with the adult student in mind and are not cartoonish, sensational, nor inappropriate. They are professional in all aspects and bring out the difficult aspects of the book of Revelation in a clear manner.

I would heartily recommend obtaining a copy of Pastor Clarence Larkin’s, ‘The Book of Revelation,’ to all serious students of prophecy.

Alan

[1] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d. & n.pag.

[2] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 33

[3] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 38

[4] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 38 & 39

[5] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 62-64

[6] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 82-88

[7] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 141

[8] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 176-191

[9] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 186 & 187

[10] Larkin, Clarence. The Book of Revelation. 1919. Glenside, PA: Clarence Larkin Estate, n.d., Page 32

Edited by Alan
replace correctly with terminolgy

• Members

"Rightly Dividing" really is the key to understanding what applies to you and where you fit into God's plan.  I just left a IFB church because the pastor has no clue, he plucks verses out of context,  mixes and matches them and "throws them in a blender" and calls that his Spirit inspired "sermon".  No wonder his "congregation" are a bunch of immature "sheep" that have no understanding. 

• Members

"Rightly Dividing" really is the key to understanding what applies to you and where you fit into God's plan.  I just left a IFB church because the pastor has no clue, he plucks verses out of context,  mixes and matches them and "throws them in a blender" and calls that his Spirit inspired "sermon".  No wonder his "congregation" are a bunch of immature "sheep" that have no understanding. 

Plucking verses out of context seems to be the norm.  Jacob's trouble only appears once in Jeremiah and Jeremiah said it applied to his day, and that God would bring the exile to an end, which he did.  Just because someone 100 years or so ago placed it in the future, we don't all have to follow like sheep.

• Members

Plucking verses out of context seems to be the norm.  Jacob's trouble only appears once in Jeremiah and Jeremiah said it applied to his day, and that God would bring the exile to an end, which he did.  Just because someone 100 years or so ago placed it in the future, we don't all have to follow like sheep.

Jeremiah 30:7, "Alas! for the day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it.

"... so that none is like it..."

This is not referring to the end of the Babylonian Captivity, nor any other historical incident in the history of Israel. It is a direct reference to the Tribulation Period as prophesied by the Lord Jesus in Matthew 24:13-22 and fulfilled in Revelation Chapter 6:1-19:10 The Lord Jesus plainly stated, "For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be." Matthew 24:21

For a person to say that the time of Jacob's trouble is just a historical event already taken place is a disbelief, and denial, of the very words by Jesus Christ Himself.

Jeremiah 30:8, "For it shall some to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him."

"... that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him."

Again, this was not true after the Babylonian Captivity nor any other time of the history of Israel. Even today, the nation of Israel is subject to the whims of the world, pressure from the United States, and pressure from the United Nations. Under Ezra, King Darius was still the King over Israel and decreeing what could be built and what not could be built, Ezra 6:1-15 After King Darius , King Artaxerxes, Ezra 7:1-27, ruled over Israel as King.

The book of Nehemiah is also quite clear that Nehemiah had to get permission under King Artaxerxes, Nehemiah 2:1-8, to repair Jerusalem, and Nehemiah 3, the wall, Nehemiah 7:1

Nehemiah 9:36 is very clear that Jeremiah 30:8 was not fulfilled after the captivity nor any time since, "Behold, we are servants this day, and for the land that thou gavest unto our fathers to eat the fruit thereof and the good therefor, behold, we are servants in it." Jeremiah 30:8. Even in the time of the Lord Jesus the Jews were servants in their own land. Again, to say that this applied in Jeremiah's age is historically not correct. 

Jeremiah 30:9, "But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their King, whom I will raise up unto them."

"But they shall serve the LORD their God... " After the Captivity, and in every age since then, the glory of God was not in the Temple that the Jews built nor in Herod's Temple. So, this has not been fulfilled.

"... and David their King, whom I will raise up unto them."

King David has not been raised up from the dead. King David will be raised up from the dead and again reign in Israel as prophesied in Jeremiah 30:9.

Conclusion,

"The time of Jacob's trouble," has not been fulfilled in any way; either symbolically or historically. This is not a doctrine of Clarence Larkin, nor was it thought of 100 years ago: it is a biblical doctrine. God blessed Clarence Larkin with the ability to present it in a clear manner that we should be grateful to be able to study. To malign Clarence Larkin is not good.

“The time of Jacob’s trouble,” will be fulfilled as recorded in Revelation 6:1-19:10 To not to understand this fact is to show a person's lack of spiritual discernment, a lack of, "rightly dividing the scriptures," and a lack of belief in the literal fulfillment of the prophets.

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling forgot a word

• Members

beammeup is entirely correct. When a person is mature in the faith to be able to rightly divide the scriptures his walk with the Lord Jesus will be further enhanced.

• Members

Thew whole of Jeremiah's  prophecies 

beammeup is entirely correct. When a person is mature in the faith to be able to rightly divide the scriptures his walk with the Lord Jesus will be further enhanced.

Thanks, I will read Jeremiah again.  We recently read Jeremiah in our daily readings and I did not understand those verses to be any different from his dire warnings of the then current events and that God would b ring the Jews back from the captivity, then Christ would come, which He did.  

• Members

Jeremiah 30:9, "But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their King, whom I will raise up unto them."

"But they shall serve the LORD their God... " After the Captivity, and in every age since then, the glory of God was not in the Temple that the Jews built nor in Herod's Temple. So, this has not been fulfilled.

"... and David their King, whom I will raise up unto them."

King David has not been raised up from the dead. King David will be raised up from the dead and again reign in Israel as prophesied in Jeremiah 30:9.

Alan

I neglected to give the reference verse to King David being raised from the dead as Jeremiah 30:9 prophesied.

In Ezekiel 37:1-14 we read the vision of the, "Dry Bones." This is a prophesy of the future restoration of the nation from the "graves" of the nations of the world.

In Ezekiel 37:15-23 we have the vision of the, "Two Sticks," one stick representing Judah and one stick representing Joseph. One day, in the future, God will reunite them, and all of the tribes of the sons of Israel, and lastly Ezekiel prophies the great prophecy that David will be raised up, "at that day."

Ezekiel 37:24 & 25,"And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever."

The title of "Prince," for King David is a direct and irrefutable reference to the Millennial Temple as prophesied by Ezekiel in Ezekiel 44:1-3 and 46:1-24

King David has not been raised from the dead to fulfill these literal prophesies. The raising of King David from the dead will be fulfilled literally and David's official functions as King and Prince will be fulfiled to the letter exactly as Jeremiah and Ezekiel foretells. All of the above prophescies of Jeremiah and Ezekiel will be fulfilled during the 1000 Year Reign of Christ as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

Therefore, the prophesy of, "The Time of Jacob's Trouble," as written in Jeremiah 30:7-9 has not been fulfilled. The notes by Clarence Larkin in his book, "The Book of Revelation," concerning, "The Time of Jacob's Trouble," are correct in its entirety.

Alan

• Members

OK I have read it again and it is still part of the prophecy of those days.  The captivity would be long and they were to build houses.  Their current troubles were Jacob's trouble but the Lord would bring them back from captivity.  We know, like Daniel, from Jeremiah that the captivity would be 70 years.

Please show me where this prophecy jumps to the future. 

Jer 29:28  For therefore he sent unto us in Babylon, saying, This captivity is long: build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
29  And Zephaniah the priest read this letter in the ears of Jeremiah the prophet.
30  Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying,
31  Send to all them of the captivity, saying, Thus saith the LORD concerning Shemaiah the Nehelamite; Because that Shemaiah hath prophesied unto you, and I sent him not, and he caused you to trust in a lie:
32  Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed: he shall not have a man to dwell among this people; neither shall he behold the good that I will do for my people, saith the LORD; because he hath taught rebellion against the LORD.
1 ¶  The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
2  Thus speaketh the LORD God of Israel, saying, Write thee all the words that I have spoken unto thee in a book.
3  For, lo, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will bring again the captivity of my people Israel and Judah, saith the LORD: and I will cause them to return to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall possess it.
4  And these are the words that the LORD spake concerning Israel and concerning Judah.
5  For thus saith the LORD; We have heard a voice of trembling, of fear, and not of peace.
6  Ask ye now, and see whether a man doth travail with child? wherefore do I see every man with his hands on his loins, as a woman in travail, and all faces are turned into paleness?
7  Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob’s trouble; but he shall be saved out of it.
8  For it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him:9  But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up unto them. 10 ¶  Therefore fear thou not, O my servant Jacob, saith the LORD; neither be dismayed, O Israel: for, lo, I will save thee from afar, and thy seed from the land of their captivity; and Jacob shall return, and shall be in rest, and be quiet, and none shall make him afraid.

It seems I didn't post the above but since you have posted further, very imaginative I will add:

I see David being raised as the Lord Jesus, the Son of David, and many Jews ended up serving him.

• Members

OK I have read it again and it is still part of the prophecy of those days.  The captivity would be long and they were to build houses.  Their current troubles were Jacob's trouble but the Lord would bring them back from captivity.  We know, like Daniel, from Jeremiah that the captivity would be 70 years.

Please show me where this prophecy jumps to the future. 

Jer 29:28  For therefore he sent unto us in Babylon, saying, This captivity is long: build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
29  And Zephaniah the priest read this letter in the ears of Jeremiah the prophet.
30  Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying,
31  Send to all them of the captivity, saying, Thus saith the LORD concerning Shemaiah the Nehelamite; Because that Shemaiah hath prophesied unto you, and I sent him not, and he caused you to trust in a lie:
32  Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed: he shall not have a man to dwell among this people; neither shall he behold the good that I will do for my people, saith the LORD; because he hath taught rebellion against the LORD.
1 ¶  The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
2  Thus speaketh the LORD God of Israel, saying, Write thee all the words that I have spoken unto thee in a book.
3  For, lo, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will bring again the captivity of my people Israel and Judah, saith the LORD: and I will cause them to return to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall possess it.
4  And these are the words that the LORD spake concerning Israel and concerning Judah.
5  For thus saith the LORD; We have heard a voice of trembling, of fear, and not of peace.
6  Ask ye now, and see whether a man doth travail with child? wherefore do I see every man with his hands on his loins, as a woman in travail, and all faces are turned into paleness?
7  Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob’s trouble; but he shall be saved out of it.
8  For it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him:9  But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up unto them. 10 ¶  Therefore fear thou not, O my servant Jacob, saith the LORD; neither be dismayed, O Israel: for, lo, I will save thee from afar, and thy seed from the land of their captivity; and Jacob shall return, and shall be in rest, and be quiet, and none shall make him afraid.

It seems I didn't post the above but since you have posted further, very imaginative I will add:

I see David being raised as the Lord Jesus, the Son of David, and many Jews ended up serving him.

Invicta and fellow Brethren,

The prophecy of Jeremiah 29:28-32 and 30:1-3 has absolutly nothing to do with the prophecy of Jeremiah 30:7-10, "The Time of Jacob's Trouble."  The prophecy of Jeremiah 29:28-32 and 30:1-3 was indeed fulfilled after the captivity. As I proved irrefuteably, the prophecy of Jeremiah 30:7-10, "The time of Jacoob's Trouble," is still future. None, absolutly none, of the prophecies of Jeremiah 30:7-10 was fulfilled after the Bablylonian Captivity.

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

It's not unusual for a prophecy to have a "partial fulfillment" and then a yet future "fulfillment".  For example, in Acts 2 Peter says "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel".  Note that the Holy Spirit did not say that this is a fulfillment of Joel's prophecy, but that it was "spoken of" by the prophet.  Paying very close attention to "the details" often reveal things we otherwise might miss or "gloss over".  Of course, if you are a preterist, then it is necessary for you to somehow find that all prophecies have been fulfilled.

• Members

It's not unusual for a prophecy to have a "partial fulfillment" and then a yet future "fulfillment".  For example, in Acts 2 Peter says "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel".  Note that the Holy Spirit did not say that this is a fulfillment of Joel's prophecy, but that it was "spoken of" by the prophet.  Paying very close attention to "the details" often reveal things we otherwise might miss or "gloss over".  Of course, if you are a preterist, then it is necessary for you to somehow find that all prophecies have been fulfilled.

I am not a preterist and don't believe that all prophecies have been fulfilled, but then I am not a futurist so I don't believe that all prophecies are in the future.  

• Members

Invicta,

I am very happy to hear that you are not a preterist.

Alan

I have said it often enough and have disgreed on the subject with Covenanter and others.  Preterists have to believe the so called early date for the Revelation  I do not.  I think the historical evidence for a late date is overwhelming.      

• Members

I do hope that the discussion on Jeremiah 29 and 30 and its relationship of the time of Jacob's trouble as prophesied in Jeremiah 30:7-9 has been a blessing to all of you. If there are any other topics that need to be discussed concerning the book of Revelation by Larkin please let me know.

One fact that some brethren often overlook when studying chapter Revelation 6:1-19:10, the 7 Year Tribulatian Period, is that all the signs given by the Lord Jesus in Matthew 24 (discussed by Larkin on pages 62-64) are given to the Jews and not to the saints in the church age. We need to remind ourselves what the Lord Jesus told the early church.

The Lord Jesus plainly stated to the disciples concerning His coming again and restoring the kingdom to Israel, (see Acts 1:6), "And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." Acts 1:7 None of the signs of the times listed in the scriptures are for the church; they are all for the Jews.

Alan