• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pain in old age

Donald

• Members

I am 59 years old, and for the last 30 years I have been disabled because of surgery that removed part of my left leg.  I praise the LORD, every day, for the pain free life that He has blessed me with “all these years” and continues to bless me with today.

I have had a section of my prayer list for years, where I have asked the Lord to keep delivering me from pain and suffering, in specific areas of my body.  And recently as I have been developing some “age related” twinges of pain, I have been unsure as to exactly what, I should be asking the LORD.  A few days ago, I started to reluctantly ask for the Lord to “stop my body from wearing out”: Not doubting that He could do just that, but not being sure that this is how I should be “wording” this request.

This morning, I realized that my main issue is “pain”, therefore I should be asking the Lord to deliver me from “the pains of old age”!
------------------------
The reason that this wording is important, is because of Romans 14:23....
“And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”

It is important that we “speak in faith” and not in doubt.  It is also important that as I take the medications etc., that I take for pain or age related reasons, that I remind the Lord (and myself), that I am not “trusting” in that pill to deliver me from pain, but that I am trusting the Lord to use that pill in my body, to accomplish His will for my life and deliver me from pain and suffering.

• Members

Paul asked God repeatedly to remove the thorn in the flesh.  God told him in so many words to quit asking.  

2 Cor 12:7-10
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
KJV

Rom 8:18-28
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
KJV

• Members

This growing old stuff surely isn't the Golden Years I heard about; it's more like the Rust Years with everything wearing out, falling apart or otherwise having problems.

It can be difficult to know exactly what to pray for and how to pray about these things. Unless the Lord makes it clear to stop praying for or about something then continue to pray. If the Lord grants you some wisdom or insight that leads you to pray differently or in another direction or manner entirely, follow that.

I sometimes pray for healing, for relief from pain, help to know what I can do to improve the situation, etc.

The Lord takes good care of me, even though I daily deal with one or more pains, various health issues and they all fluctuate on the 1 - 10 scale.

One thing which does often bring a measure of relief somehow is focusing upon others I know with health issues and spending time in prayer for them. I'm not sure why that is but it's nice to get a bit of relief while I'm in prayer.

• Members

Hello John81,

As I said, I find myself praising the Lord every day, for His great mercy in the area of my health.  Throughout the day(almost every day), as I am out and about, I have an occasional pain, in an ankle or my lower back or anywhere in-between.

Being a busy person, I am unable to get off my feet or sit down and rest, when these pains come(but must keep going); And praise the Lord, whenever I experience any pain or suffering, He seems to immediately remind me to ask Him to deliver me from it, so I pray about it on-the-go and invariably within just a few minutes the pain is gone!!
------------------------
I know that this may sound “simplistic” and “unbelievable” and maybe even “boastful”: But I do my best, to give the Lord all the glory and credit, as frequently as I can.

I am convinced, that if I were to stop praying about these things, that I would be almost unable to move. Truly our LORD answers prayers: and the more we pray, the more He answers.

I am also aware of “God’s chastening hand”, upon unrepentant Christians; Therefore to insure my good health, I try to always be quick to repent(1Corinthians 11:31)!  I have done(and continue to do), a great deal of study of the subject of “pain” in God’s Word and truly believe that God uses pain, to get our attention.  Therefore, I try to be very quick, to respond to even the slightest pain.
------------------------
I seem to be rambling here...
But I do believe that what I have said, is covered under Titus 2:1

Have a good evening

• Members

I can't even imagine going through the pain and health issues without knowing Christ and taking everything to the Lord in prayer. It hurts my heart when I think of those without Christ who suffer without the Comforter, without our Heavenly Father to talk to.

I've actually heard some Christians, including pastors, say it's wrong to bring up the Gospel with those who are weak and in pain. What could ever be more important? What greater lasting comfort could a person receive than what comes with being born again in Christ?

Indeed, dealing with pain issues does help to focus our attention. Throughout the day I pray, I'm more aware of sin and quicker to repent, I'm more mindful of others and to pray more for them as well. God does use the pain for His purposes. God also grants healing, relief, comforting and help.

Donald I appreciate you sharing your situation and thoughts on this matter. Sometimes it can seem a lonely thing to deal with. This especially so when some Christians try to hide their pain for fear some will think them weak in the faith. Some others won't talk about their pain because they believe if their faith were stronger they would be fully healed. Considering the comments and attitudes of some towards those who suffer I can understand this. What a shame to hear some telling a person in pain that if they would tithe and give more the Lord would heal them! There is so much wrong with that.

Praise God for He never leaves us, never forsakes us, that is a comfort to cling to.

• Moderators

Being 59, with one full leg, and only now beginning to feel some of the discomforts of old age, I applaud you. I am 51 with two functioning legs and have been feeling some of those pains for a bit now. Of course, at 340 pounds, its no surprise I would feel some pain in my knees and back, so I can't complain.  Of course, we all wish we could be like Moses, who, when the Lord took him, the Bible says, "And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated."  120 years, but perfect vision, strength of youth. I guess God HAD to take him because it sure sounds like he wasn't going to die of natural causes anytime soon. But we don't get that ourselves, sadly.

By the way, I would seek to lose weight, but after years of trying, through both proper diet and exercise, all I have ever succeeded in doing is either nothing, or losing, and then gaining it all back, plus more, that, at just under 350 pounds, I just stopped gaining, and decided, if this was where I was to be, I would be pleased in it. Through my younger years, I gained continually, no matter what I did, no matter how active, no matter my eating habits, it didn't matter, I always slowly gained weight until about 7 years ago I just stopped. So I have accepted this is where the Lord has chosen to keep me. I'd feel physically better at, say 100 pounds lighter, and finding clothes to fit would be easier, but it doesn't seem to be God's will for me, and I think there are some good reasons for it, though I will not go into that here.  

• Members

From the time that I was basically a toddler, I was an athlete.  I was a busy and hyper little thing, and one of my childhood nicknames was "Rabbit", because I was always running and hopping and jumping.  I am now "paying" for all of the pounding on my feet.  I've had several surgeries on them, but they haven't been successful.  I walk 7 miles per weekday (in increments) to keep my feet limbered up, because if I stop walking....I will stop walking for good.  During the day I am so busy doing this or that, that I don't pay much attention to the pain I have.  Nighttime is another story...that's when the pain hits.  I have learned however...to be content in this state for I am very grateful that the Lord gives me the ability to be so active still.  Oft times I have to remind myself that regardless of the pains of getting older...the loss of dexterity, the increased vulnerability of falling, and the recognition of aging....that it is still "well with my soul"!  I am not exempt from the mental processes of dealing with getting older though, and I truly have to continue to run to the Lord with it.  "If only!"  "If only" I'd had the mind that I have now, with a youthful body!  I know I'm not alone in thinking of that...but we are where we are...and I long to be grateful in and for all things, including the aging process and the aches and pains and suffering of it.  Hopefully we will continue to seek to glorify Him and that our lives will testify of His presence right up to the time that we shall be with Him in glory!

• Moderators

The reason that this wording is important, is because of Romans 14:23....
“And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”

It is important that we “speak in faith” and not in doubt.  It is also important that as I take the medications etc., that I take for pain or age related reasons, that I remind the Lord (and myself), that I am not “trusting” in that pill to deliver me from pain, but that I am trusting the Lord to use that pill in my body, to accomplish His will for my life and deliver me from pain and suffering.

So what do you take? Have you tried any natural things? I am a big vitamin/mineral advocate-I notice very clearly when I have gone off my vitamins as my joints hurt more, and I have less energy. I was starting to lose my hair, but I went on folic acid and it grew back in.  And I see it the same way: I am trusting the Lord to use the vitamins and mineralsthat He has supplied in His creation, as well as nutrition, to keep from breaking down earlier than I have to. 

• Members

Hello again Ukulelemike

You asked.....
"So what do you take? Have you tried any natural things?"

I do use natural things, with GREAT RESULTS.
I have always had a problem with sinus drainage, but when I got about 40 years old, it seem to intensify and I really needed help with some sinus attacks, that could cause me to use an entire box of Kleenx in one day.  Then about 15 years ago, my wife and I discovered Myrrh Gum capsules(600 mg), and for me they work better than any pharmaceutical on the market.  They can be costly from local shops, but I go to Swanson(on line), and can get a bottle of 120 capsules, for about $5.00.  During the worst times of the year(highest pollen count), I might take one every 6 to 8 hours and this controls the problem completely.  PRAISE THE LORD. (Their Product #SW1155)

Also, for about the last 20 years, I have developed some tendonitis, in my arms and shoulders, that “can” give me some discomfort after laying in bed all night or over use of my arms, etc.  About 10 to 15 years ago, I started taking(on and off), Glucosamine, Chondroitinn & MSM,(all in one small pill), that says it will rebuild the cartilage in joints and it seems to be working in my case.  I only recently got back on this, after not using it for a few years.  But I remember back when I used to suffer from tennis-elbow, that I told my wife that it’s effects were so quick, that it was almost like taking a pain reliever.  Recently I have been having some minor knee pain(with my one good knee), and PRAISE THE LORD, this pain is gone.  But I believe that it is mostly an answer to prayer.  I also get this from Swanson, product number SW1009, for about $8.95 a bottle.

Now in the area of Faith, is colloidal silver.  You will understand why I call, using this by faith, in a minute.  Over 20 year ago, a friend told me about this stuff and how I could make it myself at home.  So after reading about it’s use and safety, I started making it and using it as a general antibiotic.  Today, you will find a lot about it on the internet, but I can tell you, that it works.  After a few years, my wife started using it for urinary track infections etc.  and it works great.  Today we use it for all kinds of infections and we also use it topically on cuts and rashes and on our pets.  It’s great stuff that is almost free.

The reason I call this a “faith based medicine”, is because over the years I have probably made 20 (12oz. batches), of this stuff and each time, although I can see(somewhat) the microscopic partials of silver in the water(before they disperse), I always use it by faith: (Asking the LORD to bless it in my body and do the things it is suppose to.)  I have come to the conclusion, that it is the Lord that heals us anyway: So everything I take, is with this in mind.

This isn’t all, of the medical tricks, that my wife and I have discovered, over the years, but these are three examples.

I hope this is a help to everyone.