• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Phil Stringer is resigning

• Members

Phil Stringer has announced his resignation from Ravenswood Baptist Church in Chicago. Here's his announcement on Facebook. Apparently there are rumors already springing up about his resignation, so he posted this to counter the rumor mill...

Big decison day yesterday for me. As the flight of people out of Chicago continues, the core of our church and school has been hit very badly. I have laid out a plan for our church to sell the parsonage, get out of debt and be able to continue both the church and the school for the future in a changing Chicgao setting. As a result I have given the church my resignation effective December 1.
I love Ravenswood Baptist Church. I cherish the people. This was a very hard decision. The last few days have been very emotional. I want the church and school to have a great future ministry in the very challenging setting in Chicago. I have set the stage for them to do so.
Many of our people engaged in a non stop campaign yesterday to get me to change my mind but nothing changes the circumstances. Their efforts are appreciated greatly but not effective. The overall financial structure of the church has to change for the future. If it does not there is no future. I could find no other option. I have considered every other possibility imaginable but could not make any other idea work.
I hope to know where I am going soon. Praying over possibilities.
I did not wish to address this so soon or in partial format but the internet rumor mill is already out of control. All of my scheduled outside meetings and mission trips remain in place. Pastor Phil Stringer

• Members

Unfortunately, any time a pastor resigns suddenly there is always quick speculation as to what scandal must be about to come forth that brought this on. This, of course, is due to the number of pastors who have been caught up in scandal and tried to run away, which the media loves to report heavily.

Unless there is good reason to even think otherwise, we should assume the best of our pastors rather than automatically thinking something sinful must be going on.

May the Lord's will be done with Pastor Stringers future assignments and the church he's leaving.