• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Fellowship

• Members

I John 1:3 says, "That which we have heard and declare unto you, that ye may also have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ." Christian fellowship with other Christians and with our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ is the only way we can get through the stressful situations of life without having a nervous breakdown!

• Members

Very good point, I think we often underestimate the value of fellowship. Some of these "home church" people who keep their kids holed up at home all the time don't have any kind of outside help or support and encouragement, and its really tough on them. I think God started the local church for several reasons, and fellowship is a big one.

• Members
Fellowship and singing together with my church are what I miss and long for the most when we're away in China! Fellowship is such a huge encouragement to a believer' date=' but I think most people don't realize how much they need it.[/quote']
It's the opposite for me. I'm dying to get back to Korea and back to my church and Christian friends there.

• Members

How can a child of God's best friend be someone who is lost, I mean this is the person they hang out with, go place with and are seen with all the time? And they are never around Christians except when they attend regular church services.

What do they have in common, surely the lost friend does not like to talk about Christian stuff and surely if one is going to be Christ like they will want to talk about Christian things much of the time.

I had a cousin who died recently, he had gone to church all his life, taught Sunday school many times. His best friend never attended church, but when you would see one, you would always see the other one, except when my cousin was at church services. His friend never went to church with him, they had been close friends for many years.

• Members

It's a shame you never got to ask your cousin, 'what on earth do you see in your lost friend?'

From my point of view, there's a lot more to friendship than having stuff in common to talk about. Loyalty and trust are two things that immediately spring to mind. Perhaps your cousin found in that lost man many of the qualities of a true friend that he could not find in his church.

• Moderators

My best friends are my church friends. I've only known most of them for 2 1/2 years, but it feels like I've been there forever! We see each other a minimum of 3 days a week (more often 4), unless someone's sick, and we're so used to the close fellowship that it's not uncommon to hear someone inquire after a person who has not been seen for (horrors!) a whole week!! :eek:lol:

Since coming to this church, I've really come to realize the importance and blessing of Christian fellowship.

Proverbs 27:17 "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

• Members
Oh' date=' boy, is it true that we need fellowship! My son has found this out in spades since being in the Guard. He has soldier buddies, and that's good. But he is absolutely starving for Christian fellowship![/quote']

LuAnne, I thought there might be more thoughts expressed on this. But I've noticed that most Christians I know do not hang out with other Christians, the only time they're around them is at church.

Years ago I use to go to the coffee shop, had many friends there. But it seems that most of the things they wanted to talked about, I did not care to hear, so I stopped.

For instant, when a nice looking woman walked in I got tired of hearing the comments most of them would make.

I got tired of hearing dirty jokes, there were even one or 2 members of local churches who came to the coffee shop that were bad about telling dirty joke.

I got tired of hearing about the horse races and or the boats.

I got tired of being asked what kind of beer you drink, when I would say I don't drink beer they would say, oh, you drink the hard stuff. When I would say no to that I would usually here, but everyone drinks. I got tired of hearing gossip about who is having an affair with who.

Generally all it took was for one person there to get started on some of the dirty stuff and everyone would fall right into it. You could try and turn the conversation bad to that which is good they would pay no attention to you.

I feel firmly that many of the lost women as well as saved women talk such trash too.

Perhaps I'm a minority, but I don't want to hear such stuff as that.

• Members
How can a child of God's best friend be someone who is lost, I mean this is the person they hang out with, go place with and are seen with all the time? And they are never around Christians except when they attend regular church services.

What do they have in common, surely the lost friend does not like to talk about Christian stuff and surely if one is going to be Christ like they will want to talk about Christian things much of the time.

I had a cousin who died recently, he had gone to church all his life, taught Sunday school many times. His best friend never attended church, but when you would see one, you would always see the other one, except when my cousin was at church services. His friend never went to church with him, they had been close friends for many years.

I have found that in alot of cases that Christians don't want to talk about Christian stuff either.

• Members

Yes that it true. And perhaps many of them don't want to hang around other Christians because they can't act normal, they have to be guarded and watch what they say. But if they are around those who are not Christians, who do not attend church, maybe they feel they can relax and enjoy their selves.

The ones who do this sure are not being much of a witness, giving a good testamony, for their Savior. But maybe they don't care. Are don't know any better.

I recall a fellow on a Yahoo Baptist board, he claimed ignorance and would brag about his sexual plights, that as long as he knew no better, them it was not a sin for him and give Romans 14:23.

One thing, they can't fool God.

• Members

Sure there are, but many are very misguided, they fail to show their self approved unto God and they go along with the ways of the world for that is all they know and they fail to be a peculiar people.

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Tim 2:15 (KJV)

If one does not read and study the Book they will never know what God expects of them.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

1 Peter 2:9-10 (KJV)

14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Titus 2:14-15 (KJV)

How many of us really die to self and let Christ live thru us?

It does take effort and want to on our part.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

:amen::goodpost: I love this scripture, Pastor Jerry. :thumb

I would love to have more Christian Fellowship outside of church services and events. My pastor encourages it. However, I do think that you have a good point in your other post. Hmmm? It makes me wonder? It is much better, IMO, to have fellowship amongst the brethren than with the lost...unless, you are talking about soul-winning and discipleship. Isn't that only natural?