• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How many second comings?

• Moderators

Yes Mike, I know that teaching, I was taught it for years.

16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Christ will descend and we will meet him in the air, it says. I believe there is only one coming.  That is described in Acts 1.9  And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10  And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11  Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

He ascended into the clouds once, He will descend from the clouds once and we will meet Him in the air.  Then will the wrath of God be poured out in the judgment.

Your comments re sheep and goats seem some will be saved by works. I believe the sheep are Christians, the goats are professors but not saved. (What some call worldly Christians)

No, they won't be saved by their works, they will go into the kingdom, in the flesh, because, having shown mercy, they will receive mercy. But being in the flesh tells me they will still need to receive Jesus as Saviour. And before you say, how can it be they will reject when they SEE Him?, I say, according to scripture, during the millennial reign, many will see Him and yet reject Him, and instead will follow Satan when he is freed.

• Members

No, they won't be saved by their works, they will go into the kingdom, in the flesh, because, having shown mercy, they will receive mercy. But being in the flesh tells me they will still need to receive Jesus as Saviour. And before you say, how can it be they will reject when they SEE Him?, I say, according to scripture, during the millennial reign, many will see Him and yet reject Him, and instead will follow Satan when he is freed.

Hm

• Members

1 Thess does emphatically not say that He will not to return to earth.  Read it, then read it again, then read it again.

1 Thess 4:16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

It says he will descend, it doesn't say he will ascend again.  That is a teaching invented by J N Darby. Read what it says.

David

I've never read Darby, so I can't really comment on what he does/doesn't teach. I'm just taking the passage for what it says. I'll give you that it does not specifically say that there is an ascent back to heaven, but it is certainly not excluded as a possibility. What IS excluded as a possibility (using your own logic of non-mention) is His feet touching the earth since we meet Him in the clouds/air. Therefore, we either remain there in the clouds forever or we will return to heaven for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb (Rev 19:7-9), which specifically takes places in heaven, and then join Him for the Second Coming (Rev 19:11-15).