• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

No need to Go To Prison___Gay Wedding Vows

• Members

Hello, One for Pastors,

I hear there is a Minister near us who decided not to get the Legal Authority to marry people, this was many years ago, perhaps he saw the legal trap coming down the road, If the Minister isn't qualified to legally marry, then he can't be accused of not marrying sodomites. Just a thought.

You might ask what has a Christian couple to do if he wants married? well I hear in this country (Wales) that the Brethren marry fellow Christians but it is in the eyes only of God and the other Brethren who attend the service, I assume they don't agree with needing State Approval to seal the wedding. You might ask what about a legal certificate? well all I can say is Obama isn't Moses, neither is Cameron. I guess we as Christians would need to just trust the LORD to judge between a husband and wife in the case of divorce.

Yes I got done legally by a Minister who probably wasn't Christian, because it is the tradition and there was no pressure not to.

• Members

A person can have a Christian wedding before the Lord even if it's not recognized legally. If the couple also wants the legal recognition, and things that come with that, they can have a civil marriage service too.

We should recognize that in God's eyes a Christian wedding ceremony is "legal" in His eyes whether the government confers governmental acceptance and benefits or not. The Christian couple married by their pastor before God is just as bound to their marriage vows as they would be if there was a legal certificate involved.

If we choose to refuse to have a legal by government marriage we should accept the fact we are not entitled to the various benefits which come with such and not complain when we encounter obstacles because of such.

• Members

in all actuality my marriage may not be "legal" by our state.  the night of the rehearsal the preacher commented that he'd never performed a wedding in my state before.  this man was a friend of my husband's, who had discipled him, so that was why I didn't know this at the time.  afterwards we found out he did not have a license to perform weddings in WV.  we went through with the ceremony anyway.  the following week, while we were on our honeymoon, he went to the courthouse and applied, then filed the marriage certificate.  at the time is was upsetting to me, but now I see that the state, etc. really shouldn't be involved in marriage.  the important thing is that we did it in a church, before witnesses, with a godly preacher.  our commitment is before the Lord.  we have a delegate here who wants to remove the government from marriage all together.  i'll be interested to see if he manages it....

• Members

Marriage was originally a religious matter and public commitment of a man and woman to each other. The government was not involved. It wasn't until the government decided there was money to be made and votes to be had by getting involved with marriage that "legal" (government recognized and sanctioned) marriages became the norm.

• Members

Marriage was originally a religious matter and public commitment of a man and woman to each other. The government was not involved. It wasn't until the government decided there was money to be made and votes to be had by getting involved with marriage that "legal" (government recognized and sanctioned) marriages became the norm.

It was here also, I believe.  Until 1837 all marriages as far as I can establish were religious ceremonies.  Registers were held in churches, mainly CofE. as were births, in some cases, although the usual thing was just to record the baptism of the child.  I did come across a couple who had two children registered in and independent chapel in the late 1790s, where they usually recorded the baptism,  Both these children's record say that they were said by the parents to be born on such a date and ended with "Note, the father is of the Baptist Persuasion".

• Moderators

It was once common the only record outside some church records of a marriage to be that written inside the family Bible. We still have a family Bible from my Mom's side with the marriages written within.

Yes this is a good way to do it-use the certificate in the family Bible-take the Bible to the courthouse and it can be registered to 'formalize' the marriage, without actually receiving permission from the state. If they recognize it, its easier with dealing with legal family matters later on. Sadly, we may not like the state, but it IS God-ordained and as long as we are not going outside of biblical authority, we can comply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I performed a hand-fasting once. Its funny, I read of how its such a new-agey thing, and yet, the symbology is so perfectly Christian, in that the two become one. Marriage itself, means to join two into one, like marrying a trailer to a truck. So, the symbol of tying the hands to two people together to represent their place as one flesh it a great Christian symbol, as well, though many don't think it so.

Sadly, they ignores the symbol and got divorced and while working things out, (they never asked me for help), he got drunk and blew his brains out over it. he was supposedly a believer, but clearly, I have reasons for doubting that. Sadly, to many symbols mean nothing outside of what it means in the moment. Had they asked me for some counseling, I might have used the same symbol to help remind them of the seriousness of their vows, but I heard nothing until the wife called me to do his memorial.

What about jumping the broom?

Just don't jump the shark!

• Members

For the most part in our society today oaths are meaningless, often not even recognized as such. Most people seem to view wedding vows as nothing more than words. It's very often that one or both partners enter the marriage with the idea already in their head that if things don't work out the way they want them to they will just get a divorce and try again. That is, of course, a very bad way to begin a marriage and a main reason so many end in divorce.

Our wedding plans were drastically changed when things regarding our jobs and planned move to our new home together suddenly took off quickly. I was unwilling to live together, even for a short time while we arranged a wedding at our new location and she wasn't going to start out living in our new home by herself. So we ended up having a quick wedding with the Justice of the Peace. We were both very pleased, and surprised, when he spoke the name of Jesus after saying this wedding was being conducted before both God and man. He ended the "service" by asking that Jesus bless our marriage and we live in holy matrimony in Jesus name. Very quick and informal, yet such a holy service and I took the words of my wedding vows seriously (and still do!).

• Members

For the most part in our society today oaths are meaningless, often not even recognized as such. Most people seem to view wedding vows as nothing more than words. It's very often that one or both partners enter the marriage with the idea already in their head that if things don't work out the way they want them to they will just get a divorce and try again. That is, of course, a very bad way to begin a marriage and a main reason so many end in divorce.

Our wedding plans were drastically changed when things regarding our jobs and planned move to our new home together suddenly took off quickly. I was unwilling to live together, even for a short time while we arranged a wedding at our new location and she wasn't going to start out living in our new home by herself. So we ended up having a quick wedding with the Justice of the Peace. We were both very pleased, and surprised, when he spoke the name of Jesus after saying this wedding was being conducted before both God and man. He ended the "service" by asking that Jesus bless our marriage and we live in holy matrimony in Jesus name. Very quick and informal, yet such a holy service and I took the words of my wedding vows seriously (and still do!).

Marriage in a registry office in the UK does not allow anything religious.

• 5 months later...
  • Members
2 hours ago, Old-Pilgrim said:

It's about Christian morals and secular law, what is off topic about that? are you worried about your Government?

I believe she was simply pointing out that asking you if you are Welsh is off topic but she decided to ask anyway.