• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question on Revelation 22:18-19

• Members

My son came to me with a question last night.  I have to admit I have not spent a lot of time looking at the book of Revelation, so I didn't really know how to direct him.  He has read through Revelation several times, so he really knows it better than I do.  He pointed out that in 22:18-19 it remarks that anyone adding to the book would have the plagues of the book added to him, and those who take away "God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."  Since we believe in once-saved-always-saved he didn't understand what exactly this meant.  I admitted that I didn't exactly know the context, etc. and didn't have a Bible handy (we were at karate) but if there are people who are purposely adding to or taking away from, then they most likely aren't saved anyway.  Just wondering what others' take is on this.

• Members

trapperhoney,

Very good question and a very good topic for discussion.

I  previously wrote the following two quotes in the last installment of my Revelation study and am of the persuasion that these translators of the modern perversions of the scripture were never saved in the first place. Please note:God not only calls them false teachers and false prophets, 2 Peter 2:1, God calls them, not just their deeds, "vile," "wicked," and "unjust."

Alan said: I also want to remind the reader what I previously wrote in Psalm 12:6-8, “The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever. The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.” In the sight of God, the translators who tamper the written scriptures are, "wicked," and "vile." They are not saved nor where they ever saved. "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God." Psalm 9:17

These translators have no fear of God nor of the Judgment of God.

2 Peter chapter 2 is primarily a chapter about false prophets. Please also note that in the last statement I quoted 2 Peter 2:9 “The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished.” God, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, told us that the false prophets are, "unjust." They are not, "justified," they are unjust and still in their sins. The false prophets were never saved; just like the multitude of false prophets in our age. They say they are saved and know how to talk like a Christian but in the sight of God they are, "unjust."

In conclusion, I also previously mentioned one of the root causes of the problem with these translators (false prophets), is that they lack spiritual discernment. Like the Mormons and the J.W.'s they are the blind leading the blind. Matthew 15:10-14; 1 Corinthians 2:14; 1 John 4:1 and Romans 8:9, "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Brethren,

Here is the link to the clarification of my Revelation 22:18 and 19 study: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23615-revelation-bible-study/

Here is the link to the original lesson on Revelation 22:18 and 19 study: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23115-revelation-chapter-19-22-study/?page=12

As the Revelation chapter 19-22 was locked before a discussion of Revelation 22:18 and 19 (and 22:20 and 21), could be properly discussed, so I could not fully develop the answer to your question nor discuss the passages pertaining to my bringing up Psalm 12:6-8 and 2 Peter 2:1 and 9 And, it could be that a brother thinks I am mistaken and  can shed light on this subject.

If the moderators would like to unlock the Revelation chapter 19-22 Study it may prove beneficial to all concerned. Especially to some newcomers to OnLine Baptist.

Either way, your question on Revelaltion 22:18 and 19 is good and worthy of further discussion and probing and I am glad that you brought  it to our attention.

Alan

Edited by Alan
addition

• Members

thank you!  not being very familiar with Revelation myself, I told him that if people were perverting God's Word, purposely, they couldn't be saved.  I told him that the only other option I could think of, spur of the moment, was that this was directed toward those who were going through the tribulation, and I would assume that period on earth would be like the Old Testament, where "salvation" will only be received when Christ returns and those who engaged in this behavior will not received what they had been hoping for because of their treatment of the book.  But since I have not studied it I wanted to ask those who have so I can give my son the information to look over for himself.

• Members

The verse says that their "PART" would be taken away, not their name.

I know for a fact that genuinely saved people can pervert God's word.  I grew up in those circles.  They do it out of ignorance, sincerely believing they are "helping" God's people.  My understanding of this verse is that they lose their "part", i.e. their rewards.  They do not lose their salvation.

• Members

The verse says that their "PART" would be taken away, not their name.

I know for a fact that genuinely saved people can pervert God's word.  I grew up in those circles.  They do it out of ignorance, sincerely believing they are "helping" God's people.  My understanding of this verse is that they lose their "part", i.e. their rewards.  They do not lose their salvation.

good point!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Since we believe in once-saved-always-saved 

Disabuse yourself of that presumption....and the answer is simple, obvious, and it requires no Theological gymnastics to understand.

The passage will be simple, straightforward, and it'll say what it means, and mean what it says.....

Other than that....go through countless studies which explain that simple statement away as not actually meaning precisely what it says.

Edited by Heir of Salvation

• Members

My son came to me with a question last night.  I have to admit I have not spent a lot of time looking at the book of Revelation, so I didn't really know how to direct him.  He has read through Revelation several times, so he really knows it better than I do.  He pointed out that in 22:18-19 it remarks that anyone adding to the book would have the plagues of the book added to him, and those who take away "God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."  Since we believe in once-saved-always-saved he didn't understand what exactly this meant.  I admitted that I didn't exactly know the context, etc. and didn't have a Bible handy (we were at karate) but if there are people who are purposely adding to or taking away from, then they most likely aren't saved anyway.  Just wondering what others' take is on this.

Simple answer? That particular "book of life" is not the same book of life you are used to reading about.

That phrase is just life in this time-frame, not the book with the names of the eternally saved folks.

There are 2 other things here.

1. Out of the holy city. 

2. The things mentioned in this book (Revelation/or the book in the Lord's hand.)

The thing they are cursed with? Probably the things in this life that make one suffer.

Those that add, get plagues. That is obviously in this life. See verse 18.

I think it's obvious that at the end of it all, when you think life is going good, if you have added or subtracted from this prophecy of the book that the Lord showed John, he's gonna make you pay.

Look at how many MV translators have suffered and died painfully. You'd be surprised to know really how many people died thinking they helped out God's people by changing just this one book.