• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I'm not sure if this goes here..

• Members

I'm sorry.. I'm not sure if this goes here. Mods-please move it if it's not meant to be here. :)

I just had a question about Judgment Day.. I'll be the first to admit that I've done some things I shouldn't do. I've done so many things I'm so ashamed of. I'm just thinking about when we stand before God and he judges us. If we repent daily and pray for forgiveness.. will we be judged on everything, or what we haven't repented of? I mean, if we're saved, will we still get into Heaven? Matt: 12:36 (I think) scares me a little bit. I just wish there was a sure way of knowing you were going to Heaven. I guess I'm just confused.. Any insight would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

• Members

For a christian, your sins are covered by the blood.

What will be judged are your works. Your works will be put into a fire, and burned up depending on what you did with your talents, and motives, etc. If you did nothing for Christ, your works will be burned up and you will have no crowns to cast at Jesus' feet. If you did alot for the Lord (pure motives, sacrifice, etc) you will receive rewards to cast at Jesus' feet.

Sin keeps you from a relationship with God and hinders prayer, so although your actual "sins" won't be listed in Heaven, you must keep right with the Lord for your relationship, and also so you can earn rewards.

• Members

1 John 1:9 says "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Once we have confessed (admitted and repented of our sin) God forgives us and cleanses us. Once He has cleansed us we can be assured that we are clean before Him. This is daily sanctification as we are learning and growing; walking closer with Him. Also when we accepted Jesus' payment for our sin on Calvary, we accepted the payment for all our sins past and future! As far as God sees, we're covered for all eternity.

The judgement will be a judgement of our works. 1 Corinthians 3 says "According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

We see that what is important is how we build upon the foundation (our salvation in Christ Jesus). SInce our sins have been paid for at the cross they won't be mentioned. What will be shown are our works. The gold, silver, precious stones being works that we've done while walking in the Spirit. The wood, hay, stubble being the workds we have done while walking in the flesh and fulfilling our own desires.

We see that even if all our works that we have done are wood, hay, and stubble (we haven't lived for the Lord since being saved) we will still be saved and go to Heaven "YET so as by fire" meaning our works will be burned up and we will have no rewards.

• Members

Ecclesiastes 2:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

I agree our works are judged but what about John 15:6 ?
The individual was a branch but becomes withered and then is cast into the fire.

• Members
Ecclesiastes 2:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

I agree our works are judged but what about John 15:6 ?
The individual was a branch but becomes withered and then is cast into the fire.

Yes, this is an interesting passage. I'm no great theologian, but I do think we should interpret it in the light of what Scripture clearly teaches in other places. Two possible explanations are that "abiding" is synonymous with "salvation" (I don't think this is likely), OR that the fire in the parable is not meant to be a symbol of the lake of fire...just a picture of a useless life that is wasted--good only for fire fuel instead of blessing others and honoring God with delicious fruit. If you think about it, the "fire" symbol could parallel the fire Kita mentioned at the judgment seat of Christ, in which our useless works are burned--not hell fire. I tend to think this is what the passage is talking about.

• Members

You can't seperate our works from who we are .
It is on the basis of works that the sheep and the goats are seperated in the parable in Matthew 25 that Jesus told depicting the final day of God.
The book of James has relevance in this discussion as James talks about works too.
Just as words reveal what is inthe heart ,works reveal the character .

Brings us back to
Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

There are two final judgments recorded for us in God's Word. The first is the final judgment of the saved and is found in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. It is the judgment seat of Christ over His family. It is about our works but not about our salvation. The judgment on our salvation was made in our favor the moment we got saved.

The second final judgment is for all the unsaved. It is called the Great White Throne Judgment. It is found in Revelation 20:11,12 The unsaved are tried according to their works which will be judged as evil. They are also examined as to their presence or absence in the Lambs book of Life. The judgment on their salvation will be to their detriment without exception.

No Christian will stand in judgment before the Great White Throne. No unsaved person will stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ.