• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

What's there is something I had so much confusion with and trouble understanding shortly after I was saved.

As I read the Bible, the few Christian books and booklets I could get a hold of, I found Christians are called of the Lord to live a certain way, to avoid certain things, to recognize sin and turn from it, etc.

At the time there were only a few Christians I knew of and even the "better" Christians, some with positions in churches, were not living as I saw Scripture call us to. Being a new Christian I tried talking with some of them about this and they all told me not all that stuff is meant for us, that some of that only applied to "back then", that we can do worldly things without sinning since we have our heart under control, that being a Christian is about "love" (which was typically a worldly definition rather than a scriptural version).

All of this so confused me. I would read the Word again and so much seemed so clear with regards to how we are to live. That got me wondering why anyone would want to even bother calling themselves a Christian if they didn't want to actually follow Christ, believe and live by the Word.

Even so, I kept seeing these other Christians living what seemed to be a worldly life with a thin coating of Christianity. These people were looked up to by those in their churches. Some were lay ministers, one did prison visitations, a few of them would go out handing out tracts, all with their pastor/church approval and yet they were living and even doing some of these things with so much worldliness.

I really struggled with this for a long time, until after a move the Lord brought a godly man into my life...and I've related that story here before.

Even today I encounter many Christians (I'm speaking of those who actually have a sound testimony of salvation and do seem to evidence being saved) who either don't bother to learn what Scripture says about living our lives or who outright dismiss things as being unrealistic for us, so only having applied to Christians back in the day.

Holiness, walking in righteousness, putting the things of the world away, living a godly life, there are so many contradictory views as to what these mean and it seems few Christians want to give much attention to this area.

This is part of the reason so many pastors end up in trouble when a sinful habit becomes public, and why some churches are filled with members living like the world around them which causes the lost to want nothing to do with Christianity.

• Members

John81,

Your posting is a highly appreciated by all of us. Holiness is the inward character of the God, the Lord, and in our lives should also be our inward character. 

After I read your post Job 12:11 came to mind, "Doth not the ear try words?and the mouth taste his meat?" I had to pause and take stock of my own heart.

Thank you again for the fine post.

Alan

• Members

You are so right "John 81"... there are many people professing to be "Christians" who live very worldly lives.  Now  we ALL struggle with sin, and whoever says they do not sin is a liar!  But once we turn to Jesus for salvation, we SHOULD have the Holy Spirit convicting us in our lives and causing us to see sin where we didn't see it before.  One verse that really "hits home" is 2nd Corinthians 10:15 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;"

So there we read we are supposed to take every THOUGHT captive! I don't know about the rest of you, but I am still working on that one! I try to live a life as pleasing to God as I can in deed and action.  I WANT to be able to truly take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.  

Another verse tells us (in Ephesians 4:26) "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:"  So God knows we ARE going to get angry sometimes,  I pray that I "sin not" when  do get angry... that's another tough one, but I'm working on that too (With the Lord's help...I can do nothing on my own, the help comes from the Lord).

I've enjoyed many of the studies (like this one) here, and want to thank those who put the time and effort into these also.  I don't know how long I'll hang out here in this "IFB" site... but it was great getting to "meet" many of you!!!

• Members

Titus 2:13

The Blessed Hope

Verse 13

(13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Paul brings out three great doctrines that we can now know about in this passage.

1.        His Appearing.

2.        Jesus is not only God: He is the great God.

3.        Jesus is our Saviour.

The Appearing of the Lord Jesus Christ

The apostle Paul writes to Titus, and every believer, of the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. To the Christian, the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus is a blessed, or a wonderful, or a joyful, event. This event is called, ‘the Blessed Hope.’

The Lord Jesus said very plainly that He would come again to this earth in Acts 1:9-11. And, that we should expect Him as any time. Paul, and the early Christian Church, expected the Lord Jesus to come at any time.

Paul knew that there were no signs given to the church for the appearing of the Lord Jesus Christ. All of the signs given by the Lord Jesus in Matthew 24 and Luke 21 are for the Jews looking for the Messiah to deliver them from the 7 Year Tribulation period.

The Lord Jesus will return in the clouds as He stated in Acts 1:9-11 to take up, hereafter called the rapture, His church away to be with Him, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and Revelation 4:1. The rapture, can take place at any time with no advance signs or warnings. This is when the Lord Jesus comes for His church, (both dead and live saints). It will immediately proceed the seven year Tribulation Period, Revelation 6:1-19:10

Escape Death & Obtain a Glorified Body

Another reason why the soon appearing of the Lord Jesus is called the blessed hope is that when the Lord Jesus comes those saints who are alive, like Enoch, will escape physical death. And, all of the bodies of the saints will be changed from a corruptible body into an incorruptible body.

“Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” 1 Thessalonians 4:17 Like Enoch, Genesis 5:24, never saw death but was translated into heaven without dying, so shall those saints who are alive when Jesus comes never experience death. Glory Hallelujah!

Hebrews 11:5 says, “By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death: and was not found, because God has translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.”

In the great resurrection chapter, 1 Corinthians 15, we learn that when the Lord Jesus comes He will change our corruptible bodies and give an incorruptible body.” Glory Hallelujah! No more pain, no more sickness, no more frail bodies, no more lame people, no more blind people, no more saints with MS or other debilitating diseases. Glory Hallelujah!

All of the above will take place, “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.” 1 Corinthians 15:52

“For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” 1 Thessalonians 4:17

The Judgment Seat of Christ

When the Lord Jesus appears in the clouds, the dead saints will rise first, and then the living saints will ascend up to the clouds. We will meet Jesus in the clouds.

The Lord Jesus said in Revelation 22:12, “And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according to his work shall be.” When the Lord Jesus comes in the air, He is bringing His rewards with Him.

The apostle Paul wrote of this appearing, and rewards, taking place at the same time in 2 Timothy 4:1 and 8, “I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom. ... Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”

Please take careful note that Paul called the Lord Jesus, “the righteous judge, “and that Paul, twice, said that at the appearing of the Lord Jesus he, and all the saints, would be judged. The kingdom Paul spoke of in 2 Timothy 4:1 is also a reference when the Lord Jesus judges the Tribulation saints at the beginning of His 1000 Millennial Year Reign in Revelation 20:4

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.” 2 Corinthians 5:10 Please see Romans 14:10

The Judgment Seat of Christ, for the Church Age saints, will take place in the air when the Lord Jesus appears. The soon appearing of the Lord Jesus is truly a blessed hope.

Revelation 19:11-21

The blessed hope of the soon appearing of the Lord Jesus is not to be confused with the coming of the Lord Jesus as KING OF KING’S AND LORD OF LORD’S as depicted in Revelation 19:11-21

In Revelation 19:11-21 the Lord Jesus returns to the earth with the church and overcomes the kingdoms of this world in a worldwide bloodbath. In Revelation 19:11-21 the Lord Jesus comes as a conquering King and slays all of His enemies and rules with a rod of iron in accordance with Psalm 2 and other prophecies in the Old Testament.

Appearing of the Great God

Paul brings out a great doctrinal truth concerning the person of the Lord Jesus. That He was God in the flesh. In fact, Paul here states that He was the Great God. To the Christian, the Lord Jesus is not only God; He is great. “Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness. Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.” Psalms 48:1 & 2

To those who are lost, unconcerned, reprobate, or a cultist, Jesus is not God, nor is He great. To them He may be a prophet, or He may just be a man, but He is not great. To the Christian who loves the Bible, the Lord Jesus is the great God.

Our Saviour

The Apostle Paul not only calls the Lord Jesus, he says, “our.” To Paul, the Lord Jesus was his personal Saviour. This is also the second time that Paul brings out that the Lord Jesus is our Saviour; see Titus 1:4 The Lord Jesus is the Saviour of the world. “And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.” 1 John 4:14

Through the atoning death of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary, He can save all those who believe on Him for salvation. He saves us from an eternity in Hell so we can live in heaven for eternity. What a great Saviour is Jesus Christ our Lord! Throughout eternity we will marvel and praise His name for the greatness of His salvation.

“Therefore comfort one another with these words.” 1 Thessalonians 4:18

It is my hope that the above lesson on the blessed hope of the soon return of the Lord Jesus is a comfort and a joy for all of you.

Alan

• Members

Our Lord is talking to me y'all!!!! Camp meet at church this week and preacher has us turn to Titus....Amen!!  I'm still learning but God is teaching me and helping me every day.....Just as it says....I'm feeling it and my conviction is stronger every day!! 

I gave a couple of questions. Since Jesus can come at anytime without warning as it says in the bible, is it right for us to look at the world and see "signs" of Him returning soon. Maybe it says somewhere that we will see some signs and I haven't got that far yet. Also, how can I feel so ready for the rapture yet feel burdened by my adult kids not being ready? I want more time for their sake but I'm so ready in my heart. 

Thank you Alan and everyone for everything you write....it is helping me a great deal. 

• Members

Brother bjshuf,

We are very happy to know that the lessons in Titus has been a blessing to you and has helped you spiritual growth.  Glad to hear about the Camp Meeting at your church and that the preacher is using the book of Titus. The book of Titus has a lot of good material for the new saint. I will try and answer your two questions.

1. As I mentioned earlier the signs mentioned in Matthew Chapter 24 & 25, Mark 13 and Luke 21, 'The Olivet discourse,' are for the Jews. Since some of the events mentioned in the Olivet Discourse take a long time to develop and  some of the signs, or events, may, or may not be, evident before the the appearing of the Lord (the Rapture).

Let us look at one example. In Matthew 24:15-21 the Lord Jesus prophesied, "When ye therefore see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take ay thing out of his house." See also Mark 13:14-20 The above prophecy will take place in the 7 Year Tribulation period.

The Lord Jesus referenced Daniel the prophet and the abomination of desolation in the holy place. Please see Daniel 9:27, "And he [the anti-Christ] shall confirm the covenant with many for one week [one week is in Daniel 9:25-27 is 7 years: this one week is the 7 Year Traibulation Period]: and in the midst of the week [the 3 1/2 year mark in the Tribulation Period]  he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consumation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate." The above, Daniel 9:27, is the commencent of the 7 Year Tribulation Period as written in Revelation 6:1 until the end of the 7 Year Tribulation Period in Revelation 19:21

So, obviously, in order for the, "... abomination of desolation, spoken by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place..." to occur,  there must be a Temple built in order to have a holy place. In our age we have heard of many Jews give huge sums of money for a new Temple built. Some saints feel that because of this the rapture may be soon. Whether or not it is a sign is debateable, and if it is a sign, then it is a sign to the Jews and we (the church) can see the beginning of the end.

So, the church age saints may see some of the events that may indicate the  beginning of the Tribulation Period. But, the events seen are not to be taken as a sign to the church age saints.  

2. I understand your burden to see your kids and made ready for eternity before the appearing of the Lord, i.e., the rapture. I believe that the warnings in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 for everybody to be ready for the Lord to come are not only applicable to the Jewish saints, but also to the Church Age saints. The Lord Jesus told all of those who wait for His appearing, "Watch therefore, for ye know either the day nor the hour wherein the son of man cometh." Matthew 25:13 We do not know when Jesus will come and there are no signs given to the church.

I would advise not puttting off tomorrow what can be done today. It takes wisdom and parience to wisely witness to our loved ones. Matthew 6:33 is still applicable to all of us.

I do hope that the above thoughts have been a help to you. If you have any more questions you feel you need to ask I would consider it a blessing to answer. Your participation is this study is welcomed and encouraged.

If you have any questions, or you would like to comment on earlier lessons in Titus, please feel welcomed to do so.

Alan

• Members

Titus 2:14 and 15

The Cross of Christ

Verse 14.

(14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

The definition of redemption is as follows: (1) Act of redeeming, or state of being redeemed; ransom; deliverance; reclamation. (2) in religions generally, salvation; deliverance from what is regarded as evil; in Christianity, deliverance from the bondage and consequence of sin, as through Christ’s atonement.

Glory to God! Christ redeemed us from hell and the consequences of our sins! The Lord Jesus Christ gave Himself for us, that He might save us. Who can imagine such love? “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

“Who gave himself for us...” The cost of our salvation was tremendous. In order for the Lord Jesus to redeem us, to save us, He had to pay the penalty of our sins. The payment was His precious blood. The Lord Jesus had to die for us on the cross of Calvary and shed His blood in order to satisfy the holiness and righteousness of God. “Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as a lamb without blemish and without spot.” 1 Peter 1:18 & 19

“Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1:29 b.

“But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.” Hebrews 9:11 & 12

The Lord Jesus died on the cross of Calvary in order to shed His blood as payment for our sins and then sprinkled it on the mercy seat in the presence of God, the holy place, and obtained eternal redemption for us. See Leviticus 16:15-17 as a type of our salvation. Praise the Lord! How can we ever thank the Lord Jesus enough for His payment for our salvation?

Brethren, the Lord Jesus not only obtained died for us to redeem us from an eternity in hell, He also redeemed us to follow Him. Paul now lists three items for all those who were redeemed to follow.

The Lord Jesus wants to take iniquity out of our lives.

After salvation, God wants to clean up our lives. This includes getting rid of sin, bad habits, wrong motives, worldliness, corrupt doctrine, impure thoughts, lying, deceitfulness, idolatry, and other sins that defile us and dishonor God. “ Ye that love the LORD, hate evil. Psalms 97:10 a

Why does God want us to take away our iniquities? Because we cannot have fellowship with Him, even after salvation, and have iniquity in our hearts and lives. Isaiah wrote, “But your iniquities have separated between you and God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.” Isaiah 59:2 Iniquity in our lives will separate us having close fellowship with God.

Christ wants to purify the sin and worldliness out of our lives and make us a peculiar people.

It is the desire of God for His people to follow Him and not be worried about following the world and its philosophies, doctrine, attitudes and motives. We are supposed to be peculiar and not blend in with the world and its attitude towards God. God told the nation of Israel, “For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the of the earth.” Deuteronomy 7:6. God’s people are different in their manner of living, doctrine, motives and actions.

“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, and holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” 1 Peter 2:9. The Lord Jesus saved us from an eternity in hell, and spiritual darkness, we ought to serve Him.

We ought to be zealous of good works.

Some of the good works that Paul is talking about is; soul winning, giving, loving, cheerful, helping others, preaching and other spiritual works recorded in the Bible. We were saved to do good works. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath be- fore ordained that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10. God saved us to work for Him and not to sit around and do nothing.

As we work for the Lord, we ought to be zealous in our service to Him. A happy, cheerful, optimistic, and zealous attitude goes a long way towards helping others along the way in their service for the Lord.

Refuse to be intimidated

Verse 15

(15) These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Paul is now primarily exhorting Titus as a preacher of the gospel. Also, we need to remember that Paul felt impressed of the Lord to say the same thing to another preacher of the gospel, Timothy, due to other people intimidating them. “Let no man despise thy youth.” 1 Timothy 4:12 a

Whenever a man enters the ministry, there will some people who try to intimidate, hinder, interfere, discourage, or otherwise try to obstruct the preacher from doing what God wants him to do. We need to realize that there is a spiritual battle going on for the souls of men and that Satan will move his people to resist the man of God in His calling.

No matter what the opposition is to the man of God, he is to speak those things that God wants him to say. The man of God is to exhort people to be saved and exhort the saints to serve God. And, the man of God is to rebuke those who sin, to speak against sin, and to tell of the consequences to those who continue to sin. Oliver B. Greene in his commentary on Titus expresses it thusly, “God’s minister steps in the pulpit to preach sober, righteous, godly living-right here in this present world: and he does it with authority and without apology.”[23]

Paul is careful to add,“...with all authority.” Why? The word of God, the Bible, is our authority. The traditions of men, and the religious denominations of this world, are not our authority. Our authority to do the work of God is written down in the scriptures. This is why the proper title of our English Bible is not the King James Bible, but it is, “The Authorized Version of the Bible.”

[23] Greene, Oliver B. The Epistles of Paul the Apostle to Timothy and Titus. (Greenville, SC: The Gospel Hour, Inc., 1964) Page 467.

• Members

Our Lord is talking to me y'all!!!! Camp meet at church this week and preacher has us turn to Titus....Amen!!  I'm still learning but God is teaching me and helping me every day.....Just as it says....I'm feeling it and my conviction is stronger every day!! 

I gave a couple of questions. Since Jesus can come at anytime without warning as it says in the bible, is it right for us to look at the world and see "signs" of Him returning soon. Maybe it says somewhere that we will see some signs and I haven't got that far yet. Also, how can I feel so ready for the rapture yet feel burdened by my adult kids not being ready? I want more time for their sake but I'm so ready in my heart. 

Thank you Alan and everyone for everything you write....it is helping me a great deal. 

Hi bjshuf,

Excellent question. I've read Alan's answer & consider it to be incorrect. 

Jesus in Matthew 24, Mark 13 & Luke 21 is giving signs relating to the AD 70 destruction, so that believers in Jerusalem & Judea would know when to flee the city before the destruction.

Luke 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 21 Then let them which are in Judæa flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Jesus lists a variety of events that are NOT signs of the end - all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 

We have discussed at length in the debate section the interpretation of the 70 weeks of Daniel 9. Simply understood it predicts the saving work of Jesus at Calvary, & the consequential destruction of Jerusalem & those who rejected their Messiah. The prophecy is fulfilled. Jesus second coming will be for resurrection & judgement, not for a complicated "end times" scenario. 

We must of course be concerned for our unsaved family members & contacts - our end times beliefs do not change the Gospel imperative - NOW is the day of salvation. 

• Members

Hi bjshuf,

Excellent question. I've read Alan's answer & consider it to be incorrect. 

Jesus in Matthew 24, Mark 13 & Luke 21 is giving signs relating to the AD 70 destruction, so that believers in Jerusalem & Judea would know when to flee the city before the destruction.

Luke 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 21 Then let them which are in Judæa flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Jesus lists a variety of events that are NOT signs of the end - all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 

We have discussed at length in the debate section the interpretation of the 70 weeks of Daniel 9. Simply understood it predicts the saving work of Jesus at Calvary, & the consequential destruction of Jerusalem & those who rejected their Messiah. The prophecy is fulfilled. Jesus second coming will be for resurrection & judgement, not for a complicated "end times" scenario. 

We must of course be concerned for our unsaved family members & contacts - our end times beliefs do not change the Gospel imperative - NOW is the day of salvation. 

Brethren,

My earlier post on the prophcies of the Lord Jesus concerning Matthew 24:15-21, the Olivet Discourse, and the prophecies of Daniel 9:24-27 were entirely correct and doctrinally sound.

The above post by Covenanter is in doctrinal and historical error and does not represent the truth of Daniel 9:24-27. Pastor Markle was doctrinally correct in his conclusion that Daniel 9:24 to the first section of Daniel 9:26 was fulfilled at Calvary  at the baptism of Jesus, but the remining last week of Daniel's prophecy,the 70th week, Daniel 9:26 and 27 will be fulfilled as depicted in Revelation chapter 6-20. Therefore, the prophecy of Daniel 9:26 and 27 have not been fulfilled and Covenanter is in serious error. Also, the events that Covenanter discussed, Luke 21:20-22, was not a sign for the events in 70 A.D. and was not fulfilled in 70 A.D. Again, he is not only in doctrinal error but he is in historical error as well.

Very briefly.

Luke 21:20, "And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh." In 70 A.D. there was only one army attacking Jerusalem: the Roman Army. The Lord Jesus plainly said, "armies." In Revelation the armies of the world attack Jerusalem. Some of these armies are mentioned in the prophecies of Ezekiel. Therefore, Covenanter is incorrect.

Luke 21:22, "For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled." All of the prophecies in the Old Testament, including the detailed prophecies of Ezekiel, were not fulfilled when the Roman Army destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D. Covenanter is again not doctrinally correct, nor historicly correct.

The current lesson is on Titus 2:14 and 15. I would like to request that all questions and comments by Covenanter be directed on the current lesson in order to keep continuity. I want to thank Covenanter in advance for his compliance in this matter. 

Alan

Edited by Alan
uploaded imporperly spelling strike-out and change.

• Members

Brethren,

My earlier post on the prophcies of the Lord Jesus concerning Matthew 24:15-21, the Olivet Discourse, and the prophecies of Daniel 9:24-27 were entirely correct and doctrinally sound.

The above post by Covenanter is in doctrinal and historical error and does not represent the truth of Daniel 9:24-27. Pastor Markle was doctrinally correct in his conclusion that Daniel 9:24 to the first section of Daniel 9:26 was fulfilled at Calvary but the remining last week of Daniel's prophecy,the 70th week, Daniel 9:26 and 27 will be fulfilled as depicted in Revelation chapter 6-20. Therefore, the prophecy of Daniel 9:26 and 27 have not been fulfilled and Covenanter is in serious error. Also, the events that Covenanter discussed, Luke 21:20-22, was not a sign for the events in 70 A.D. and was not fulfilled in 70 A.D. Again, he is not only in doctrinal error but he is in historical error as well.

Very briefly.

Luke 21:20, "And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh." In 70 A.D. there was only one army attacking Jerusalem: the Roman Army. The Lord Jesus plainly said, "armies." In Revelation the armies of the world attack Jerusalem. Some of these armies are mentioned in the prophecies of Ezekiel. Therefore, Covenanter is incorrect.

Luke 21:22, "For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled." All of the prophecies in the Old Testament, including the detailed prophecies of Ezekiel, were not fulfilled when the Roman Army destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D. Covenanter is again not doctrinally correct, nor historicly correct.

The current lesson is on Titus 2:14 and 15. I would like to request that all questions and comments by Covenanter be directed on the current lesson in order to keep continuity. I want to thank Covenanter in advance for his compliance in this matter. 

Alan

If I remember correctly correctly Pastor Scott agreed that the 69 weeks ended with the baptism of Jesus. 

• Members

Invicta,

Thank you for your correction. I did check the debate in Daniel 9:24-27 and I did notice that Pastor Markle was in agreement that the 69th week ended at the baptism of Jesus and not Calvary. I corrected my post to show the disctinction in that respect. The remainder of my post, and the conclusion, remains the same.

Alan 

• Members

Chapter 3

Exemplary Citizens

Verse (1) Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work.

Paul is now instructing Titus to preach to his congregation that we should obey the rulers that God has put over us and obey the various laws that are placed upon us by our leaders. This includes tax laws, driving laws, military draft laws, trade laws, and other laws. The Christian should be an exemplary example of a law-abiding citizen.

Paul, in the book of Romans, (Romans 13:1-7), carefully explained that the various governments of the world and their rulers are ministers of God for our good. Whether or not they are Christian is immaterial as God places men in power as He see fit. This was clearly brought out centuries ago with King Nebuchadnezzar. Daniel 5:21 states, “And he [King Nebuchadnezzar] was driven from the sons of men; and his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild asses: they fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the most high God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that he appointed over it whomsoever he will.”

God is the supreme ruler of the universe and He places the men in power that He wants to place in power for His reasons. It is our responsibility to pray for our leaders and influence them with our testimony for Christ.

The only time we are not to obey our leaders is when they go against the direct will of God as revealed in the scriptures. We have a clear example of this type of situation in Acts 5 when the religious rulers of that day told the Apostles to stop preaching in the name of Christ. Acts 5:29 says, “Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than man.”

When a ruler, religious or political, tells us not to do what God tells us clearly in the scriptures to do, than we are to obey God, not the ruler. As we do so, we must understand that we will suffer the consequences of our action. So, we had better be right and not just following our own will.

Remember, the Lord Jesus paid His taxes, obeyed the Roman government, and did not resist, in any way, Pontius Pilate when He was judged. At that time, the Roman government was probably more corrupt, cruel, worldly, and unchristian than most governments of our day. And, even as Paul was writing this epistle to Titus, he was in prison for his stand for Christ.

At those times when a Christian receives persecution, we are not supposed to grumble, nor unduly complain to the civil authorities, about the trials that the world brings our way. Did not the early church rejoice and give God the glory when they were persecuted for their faith? Acts 5:41 and 42 clearly show us that the Apostles rejoiced when they were persecuted for their faith in Christ. Did not Paul and Silas sing unto the Lord when the civil authorities put them in jail for preaching the gospel? See Acts 16:25.

People, who resist the government for their own personal reasons, or social agenda, are in error and God will judge them for their error. This includes draft dodgers, lawbreakers, murderers, thieves, speeders, reckless drivers, tax-dodgers, and other lawbreakers. In these last days, we are witnessing numerous people, social action groups, animal rights groups and other intentional lawbreakers encourage rebellion against civil authorities for their own personal agenda. God will judge rebellion against civil authorities in His own timing.

The Apostle Jude said this, “Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh [homosexuality and lesbian] are set forth an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.” Jude 7 and 8

Paul said, “... to be ready to every good work.” The context of Paul’s statement is in obeying the civil government. A good work for the Christian is to endeavor to work with, and possibly in, the government to do well. We need to remember Daniel. God gave Daniel wisdom, and natural leadership abilities, and was able to move into governmental leadership positions in the Babylonian government. Please study Daniel 1:17-21.

“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. ... For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same.” Romans 13:1 and 3

Evangelist John R. Rice, in his book, Dr. Rice, Here are More Questions, concludes this line of thought on obeying the government by saying, “Governments are ordained of God. People ought to obey the government just as children ought to obey parents.”[1]

As God ordained government for the protection of the people, it is our responsibility to obey its laws. This good work glorifies and honors God. The Lord Jesus said, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16

[1] Rice, Dr. John R. Dr. Rice, Here are More Questions (Murfreesboro, TN: Sword of The Lord Publishers, 1973) Page 528.

Edited by Alan
deletion