• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Titus 1:3 and 4

Verse 3 and 4, “But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour; To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

“... manifested his word through preaching...”

The message of salvation, eternal life through Christ, is wonderful news! God has firmly decided that it would be through the lips of the redeemed to spread this good news to fallen man. It is called preaching. The preacher is anointed of God to spread the good news of eternal salvation around the world and throughout the ages. “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. ... For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. ... That no flesh should glory in his presence.” 1 Corinthians 1:18, 21 & 29

God manifests His word, the written word of God, through preaching. The textbook for the man of God is the Bible, (“Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught,” verse 9).

In the English language, the preserved word of God is the Authorized Version of 1611, commonly called the King James Version. The Authorized Version of 1611 is the only honest and faithful version of the Bible that we have today.

“... according to the commandment of God our Saviour;”

When a man of God is called to preach the gospel of Christ it is committed to him through the commandment of God, not of some man or religious denomination. The man of God obtains his instructions from God, not the denominational head of some church. This is one of the reasons why all of the churches in the New Testament are independent from each other with no denominational heads at all. The leader of a real local church is Christ, not the pope, or a bishop, or apostle, or some other man in a denomination.

In a sermon entitled, “The Biblical Doctrine of the Church,” by Paul R. Jackson, in the book, The Biblical Faith of Baptists, states:

There is a delightful blending of authority within the church. Our Lord Jesus is the undisputed Head. He has never relinquished that authority to anyone or to any group. No man, no hierarchy, no denominational headquarters, has any jurisdiction over a local church…The Lord exercises His authority through the Word of God.[1]

God is Lord of all things, including the local church. Therefore, a calling, yea, a commandment, from Him to preach is the highest calling a man can receive.

“... God our Saviour;”

And, in verse 3 Paul stated that this preaching was a commandment from, “...God our Saviour.” But, when Paul received the call to preach, (Acts 9:1-16 & 26:13-18); it was from a personal call from Christ Himself. Paul uses God and Christ interchangeably. Why? Because Jesus Christ was not only man, but also was, in essence, God in the flesh.

“... and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.”

Again, verse 4 also bears witness to the Trinity. Instead of saying, “...God our Saviour,” Paul says, “...the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.” God and Christ are one and the same, but, both have seperate offices.

The Warmth of Paul

“To Titus, mine own son after the common faith:”

Paul was a man who deeply loved those who were close to him. His relationship with Titus was akin to the relationship that he had with Timothy. I personally believe that Paul was very close to a lot of people. Titus was one of those folks.

Most likely through the personal preaching, or soul-winning efforts, of Paul the Apostle he was able to win Titus to the Lord. Titus was with Paul on several of his missionary endeavors, 2 Corinthians 2:12 & 13; 7:6; 12:18 and Galatians 2:1-3. Now, Titus is the bishop, or pastor, of the church at Cretia, on the island of Crete.

The relationship between Paul and Titus was one of mutual respect. Paul treated Titus as a father to a son. In all likelihood Paul had led Titus to Christ and is now giving him advice as to a convert.

It is like the relationship between many Godly men in the faith and their converts. One such example is between missionary David Hill, (1840-1896), and his Chinese convert, Hsi sheng-mo, (1835-1896). David Hill was a missionary with the famed China Inland Missions, (founded in June 27, 1865 by J. Hudson Taylor). Before he was converted, Hsi was a dedicated Confucian scholar. At that turbulent time in China, the Chinese publicly called missionaries “Foreign Devils.” It was with great reluctance that Mr. Hsi first met with David Hill.

After witnessing to Mr. Hsi, David Hill was able to lead him to Christ in 1879.[2] From the time of his conversion, to the end of his life, Brother Hsi served the Lord with fervor and respect from the local Chinese. The relationship between missionary Hill and convert Hsi was like Paul and Titus.

Grace, Mercy and Peace

Paul, in his greeting to Titus, lists three aspects of the Christian life that should be very close to the heart of every saint. The grace of God, the mercy of God and the peace of God. All of these are characteristics of God and were exhibited by the life of the Lord Jesus Christ. And, it behooves every saint to have these characteristics also.

In most of his epistles Paul mentioned these three characteristics numerous times in one form or another: Romans 1:7; 1 Corinthians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 1:2 &3; Galatians 1:3; Ephesians 1:2; Philippians 1:2; Colossians 1:2; 1 Thessalonians 1:1; 2 Thessalonians 1:2; 1 Timothy 1:2; 2 Timothy 1:2 and Philemon 3.

Please take note that when Paul wrote these salutations to the various churches and individuals that they were not just passing greetings, but they were an integral part of the heart of Paul. We are saved through the mercy and grace of God. And, we have peace with God. There is no salvation, no church, no fellowship, and no hope of eternal life in heaven without the grace and mercy of God. There will be no mercy, no grace nor any peace in hell. Hell must truly be a terrible place.

Grace, mercy and peace come, “...from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.” Heaven must truly be a wonderful place. Paul recognized Jesus Christ as Lord.

Again, as one studies these new versions he finds out that, on occasion, they delete the word Lord in reference to the Lord Jesus. For example. In the Revised Standard Version of 1946 they say, “To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace [they also delete “mercy” from this verse] from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.”

Therefore, the man of God who truly desires to be a servant of God, and not of man, should not use any Bible version starting from the Revised Version of 1881 in spiritual matters, preaching nor Bible studies.

[1] Fundamental Baptist Congress of North America. The Biblical Faith of Baptists. (Detroit, Michigan: Fundamental Baptist Congress of North America, 1964) Page 40 & 41.

[2] Taylor, Mrs. Howard Pastor Hsi Confucian Scholar and Christian. (Newington Green, N, England: Morgan & Scott, 1900) Page 169 & 170.

Edited by Alan
spelling Aug.20, 2016

• Members

I am carefully reading through all information presented before I comment, but one thing I want to ask is that in verse one you quote it as "the faith of God elect" and in my KJV Bibles it reads "the faith of God's elect."  just wondering about the discrepancy.

• Members

"predestination" is a sticky topic in IFB circles, and frequently avoided.  the problem, as I see it, is that some people have taken this doctrine, which is clearly in scripture, and twisted to suit their own theology.  God predestined that those who choose to accept Christ as their savior will be conformed to the image of His Son.  Not that they were predestined to get saved.

God himself is truth, and the source of all truth.  Without God there is no truth.  In order to know truth we must seek God.  This can only be done through Christ.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

• Members

"predestination" is a sticky topic in IFB circles, and frequently avoided.  the problem, as I see it, is that some people have taken this doctrine, which is clearly in scripture, and twisted to suit their own theology.  God predestined that those who choose to accept Christ as their savior will be conformed to the image of His Son.  Not that they were predestined to get saved.

I would say that Paul explained it in Romans 9 that God chose even before that; pay special attention to verse 11;

Romans 9:

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

Also see Galatians 1:15; Proverbs 16:9
Edited by Leonard Sylvia

• Members

I am carefully reading through all information presented before I comment, but one thing I want to ask is that in verse one you quote it as "the faith of God elect" and in my KJV Bibles it reads "the faith of God's elect."  just wondering about the discrepancy.

The discrepancy is a scribal discrepency; and I am the scribe. :laff cry:I will correct it.

Alan

tapperhoney and Standing Firm in Christ,

I could not have explained predestination better. I think we need to thank both of you very much for your posting. :goodpost: 

Leonard Sylvia,

Thank you for bringing out Romans 9:11-13, Galatins 1:15 and Proverbs 16:9

Galatians 1;15, "But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace."

Proverbs 16:9, "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps."  :thumb:

Alan

• Members

My only comment is that the only "church" in the beginning, was the synagogue.  Records indicate that as late as the 3rd century, there were still (secret) Nazarenes in synagogues dispersed throughout the Roman Empire (attempts were made to identify these "Nazarenes" -"worshippers of the crucified"- by the rabbis).  The only official "meeting places" of the Greeks and Romans were their pagan temples (so that can be ruled out as an ekklesia .  Gradually, there were Gentile "home churches" formed, especially at the end of Acts, where Paul completely forsakes the synagogue and the teaching of the Kingdom (as it doesn't apply to purely Gentiles who have no knowledge of the Old Testament).  Everything changed in the 4th Century, when "Christianity" became the official state religion of Rome, and the doctrine of "replacement" was born, whereby the "Chruch" replaced "Israel" and Israel was forever cut-off (cast-off) from God.  There is absolutely no need to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom in this present dispensation of Grace.  That message of the Kingdom will, however, be preached by Israelites during the Tribulation (in fulfillment of scripture).

Have a nice day, beameup

Edited by beameup

• Members

beameup,

Thank you for the short history of the beginning of church history. So often folks just think of church as the building and not as the souls of men. There are still places in some countries where there is no church building but a church in someones house. While visiting China I was able to see the situation first hand. In the early Church Age, most of the congregrations did meet in someones house, or, at a meeting place in the country. "And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him. Preaching the kingdom of God, and teachig those things which concern the Lord Jesus, with all confidence, no man forbidding him." Acts 28:30 and 31

We need to be thankful that the Lord has blessed most of us with a building to have preaching services in.

We appreciate your comments and participation. :)

Alan

Edited by Alan
missed a word

• Members

The discrepancy is a scribal discrepency; and I am the scribe. :laff cry:I will correct it.

Alan

aha!  okay, glad I wasn't missing something :)

I would say that Paul explained it in Romans 9 that God chose even before that; pay special attention to verse 11;

Romans 9:

10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

yes, God did choose, based on his foreknowledge of what each would do.  He knew that Esau would despise his birthright and so chose to use Jacob to continue the line and fulfill his promise.

• Members

i would say Trapperhoney thy His foreknowledge is His decree. The Greek word election is "eklogē" meaning 

1. the act of picking out, choosing

1. of the act of God's free will by which before the foundation of the world he decreed his blessings to certain persons

2. the decree made from choice by which he determined to bless certain persons through Christ by grace alone

2. a thing or person chosen

1. of persons: God's elect (from Strong Greek lexicon)                

My point in all this is to point out that all things are to be God centered. All thing are a result of God's decrees, not of mans doing.

Edited by Leonard Sylvia

• Members

i would say Trapperhoney thy His foreknowledge is His decree. The Greek word election is "eklogē" meaning 

1. the act of picking out, choosing

1. of the act of God's free will by which before the foundation of the world he decreed his blessings to certain persons

2. the decree made from choice by which he determined to bless certain persons through Christ by grace alone

2. a thing or person chosen

1. of persons: God's elect (from Strong Greek lexicon)                

My point in all this is to point out that all things are to be God centered. All thing are a result of God's decrees, not of mans doing.

all things are not by God's decree.  If they were, god would not have questioned Eve or Cain...

Genesis 3:13 (KJV)
And the LORD God said unto the woman, What [is] this [that] thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

Genesis 4:10 (KJV)
And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

God did not plan for Eve to eat the fruit.  God did not plan for Cain to kill his brother.  But God knew these things would happen.

• Members

all things are not by God's decree.  If they were, god would not have questioned Eve or Cain...

Genesis 3:13 (KJV)
And the LORD God said unto the woman, What [is] this [that] thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

Genesis 4:10 (KJV)
And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

God did not plan for Eve to eat the fruit.  God did not plan for Cain to kill his brother.  But God knew these things would happen.

do you mean that God asked Eve or Cain because he didn't know? That Gid had no idea what was going on? That God isn't omniscient?

thats called God being anthropomorphic in dealing with man. For you to assume that God  had to look into the future to learn something or who would get saved is ridiculous, you are essentially saying God had to learn who would get saved. That at some particular time their was something God didn't know, so he had to look into the future. 

Its an "you meant it for evil but God meant it for good" kind of thing. Also Eph 1:11

Also see the Crucifixion for another example.

• Members

the problem we face here is that we as mankind take things to extremes.  for man it has to be one way or another.  in our fallibility we cannot find true balance.  God is a God of Wrath, but he is also a God of Love.  to man, that makes no sense whatsoever.  that is why most men capitalize on God's love and say a loving God won't send someone to hell.  We do not understand how two things that in our fallen nature are direct opposites can be in one being.  God is also a God of justice but also a God of mercy.  We can see in our human courts that those two things rarely work together.  God is a God of balance.  All his attributes work together in harmony.  The argument I hear for "election" -- for God picking and choosing on his whim -- is because God is sovereign.  For man to have free will, it limits God's sovereignty and makes him at the mercy of fallen man.  But God is not limited by man, he is still working his plan, laid out from before the foundation of the world, because of his foreknowledge.  God has chosen to work through man.  He has also chosen to work through men who are willing to serve him.  Man does not limit God, God has chosen to limit himself in what he does and how he does it in order to carry out his plans through willing men.  That is the balance in his nature.  Because God is who He is, only he can operate in perfect balance attributes that man finds contradictory.  In the end we are accountable to God for what we believe and when it is all said and done that is between you and God.

Brethren,

Any thoughts or comments on the other sections of Titus 1:3 and 4, such as: The Warmth of Paul or Grace, Mercy, and Peace?

Alan

I think we should look a little closer at grace, mercy and peace :)

• Members

"I think we should look a little closer at grace, mercy and peace"

That would be a good idea especially since all three these days are often misrepresented by various preachers and churches. Many Christians have their view of these points installed by the media more than by Scripture. Thus they have warped views.

As mentioned above, men tend to go to extremes by over-focusing and over-emphasizing certain aspects of God while limiting or leaving out others.

The biblical meaning of these three is what's important, and what people need to know and understand.