• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Scientific Facts in the Bible.

• Members

Archaeological Scientific Accuracy in the Scriptures

All dates will be taken from the book of James Ussher, January 4, 1581-March 21, 1656), “The Annals of the World.”[1]

Special note: James Ussher’s, “The, Annals of the World,” has been uploaded from fellow missionary (to Mexico City, Mexico), David Cox. Brother Cox has an extremely valuable resource material website for Independent Baptists.

This resource website is: http://www.davidcox.com.mx/library/library.htm

Invicta, in his previous post, has also provided another resource in the chronology of the world. “The Romance of Bible Chronology,” written in 1913, by Rev. Martin Anstey.

Ussher 713 B.C.[2]

Sennacherib invades & Captures parts of Judah

“Now in the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah did Sennacherib king of Assyria come up against all the fenced cities of Judah, and took them... At that time did Hezekiah cut off the gold from the doors of the temple of the LORD, and from the pillars which Hezekiah king of Judah had overlaid, and gave it to the King of Assyria.” 2 Kings 18:13 and 16

Reference passage 2 Chronicles 32:1-8

The full account is detailed in 2 Kings 18:9-19:37 involves at least two times that King Sennacherib invaded Judah and then Jerusalem.

Ussher 710 B.C.[3]

The Destruction of the Assyrian Army

“Then the angel of the LORD went forth, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians a hundred and fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses. So Sennacherib king of Assyria departed, an dwelt in Nineveh. And it came to pass, as he was worshipping in the house of his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezar his sons smote him with the sword; and they escaped into the land of Armenia: and Esarhaddon his son reigned in his stead.” Isaiah 37:3-38

Reference passage 2 Chronicles 32:9-22

Sennacherib’s Hexagonal Prism – The Taylor Prism

Courtesy of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sennacherib%27s_Annals

In 1830, British archaeologist, Colonel Robert Taylor (1790-1852), is rumoured to be the actual discoverer of the, “Sennacherib Hexagonal Prism,” or referred to as, “The Taylor Prism.” The actual date, and discoverer, is somewhat obscured.

The Prism was sold in 1855 by Colonel Taylor’s widow to the British Museum,[4] London, England where it has remained until this day.

Sennacherib’s Hexagonal Prism, or, he Taylor Prism, gives a detailed account of the reign, wars, and the death of the Biblical Assyrian King Sennacherib as mentioned in 2 Kings 18:13 and Isaiah 37:3-38.

Both the ‘Taylor Prism,’ and the, ‘Jerusalem Prism,’ were created during the reign of Sennacherib, in Nineveh, between 689 to 691 B.C.

The Jerusalem Prism

Courtesy of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sennacherib%27s_Annals

The Jerusalem Prism has the same text, with minor variations, as the ‘Taylor Prism.” The Jerusalem Prism is located in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.[5]

Conclusion

Archaeological science has proven the historical account of the invasion of Sennacherib as written in the scriptures. Whenever the scriptures write about any Scientific discipline than we can rest assured that it is reliable, accurate, true, and all true science will validate the scriptures.

Alan

References

The, “Annals of the World,” may be viewed at: https://archive.org/details/AnnalsOfTheWorld

Bible History Online – Fallen Empires: http://www.bible-history.com/empires/prism.html

http://www.biblehistory.net/newsletter/hezekiah.htm

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sennacherib%27s_Annals

Edited by Alan
spelling Archeological to Archaeological Invicita to Invicta

• Members

Thanks Alan 

I have now reached about page 60 of Mr Usher. I notice that he mentions Manetho a lot, whose writings only come down to us in fragments, I believe, in such writers as Herodotus and Josephus.  Manetho makes the Hyksos, Shepherd Kings, as the Israelites under Moses.  Another writer, I can't remember his name, in The Exodus Problem and its Ramifications, believed that the Hyksos were probably the Amalekites who fought the Israelites on their way out of Egypt. Egypt would have been vulnerable as having just lost its army.  He believes Pharaoh would also have been drowned as he would have led his army in the chase,  In this theory he thinks that when the Amalekites were destroyed by Saul it was when they were expelled from Egypt.  

Be all that as it may, I think the Hyksos were much older, as Joseph although the next under Pharaoh had to sit alone at meals as he was a shepherd and the Egyptians hated shepherds.  Herodotus says the pyramids were named after a certain shepherd who kept his sheep there. He said the Egyptians hated the pyramid builders as the forbade the pagan religion and closed the temples. So it seems they were of a different nationality probably monotheistic.

Just surmising.  Sorry to digress from your prism explanation, I find that interesting.

• Members

Invicta,

I do not mind your surmising. Glad to hear that you are reading Ussher. The 'Annals,' and probably any other chronological work, is hard reading. So, I commend you. :th_tiphat: I also find some of the historical writings such as Ussher interesting.

Alan

• Members

There was a program on History Channel I saw a year or two ago which presented the idea the Hyksos were really the people spoken of in Exodus and not the Jews. Without directly saying so, they insinuated throughout the program the Jews stole the story and cast themselves in the role of the Hyksos. Naturally, the program discounted or ignored anything from Scripture or actual history which indicate Exodus is accurate.

Not surprising considering the other unbiblical, even anti-God programs they air. One on Moses as a great leader continually denied all the miracles of God, proposing either natural phenomenon or trickery to account for them. I noted clearly how they cited snippets of Scripture out of context to support some of their claims while leaving out the rest of verses or passages which clearly showed their ideas to be false.

Several years ago History Channel ran many programs purporting to prove Scripture is a record of alien (extra-terrestrial) encounters, and that God was really advanced space aliens. All miracles of Scripture were attributed to alien technology, including the parting of the Red Sea by an alien space ship.

When Scripture is not accepted as God's perfect Word, the world can insert virtually all manner of theories and literally out of this world ideas. This makes the works of men such as Ussher and the findings of archeologists which support Scripture such a worthy matter to consider and at least be somewhat familiar with.

• Members
10 hours ago, John81 said:

I noted clearly how they cited snippets of Scripture out of context to support some of their claims while leaving out the rest of verses or passages which clearly showed their ideas to be false.

Excellent post! :goodpost:

Lost religious people, false brethren, cults, the world, 'internet theologians," paid mainline denominational theology writers, Hollywood shows, Charismatics, back-slid saints, and those saints who are not spiritually discerned, 'use' selected scriptures to prove their own beliefs about a particular subject and cannot 'rightly divide the word of truth.'

• Members

All that work typing a post and it disappears when I click "Submit Reply". I wonder if this will post?

I had the happen a few minutes ago on another thread, except I was still typing, halfway though a word,  when it disappeared.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

There was a TV programme a few years ago which said the great Sphinx was thousands of years older than the pyramids, If remember correctly they said 20,000 BC, as there was much more erosion on one side of the Sphinx than the other, showing that rainfall had been much greater than in the past, but I notice a bible reason for that, Exodus 9:23  And Moses stretched forth his rod toward heaven: and the LORD sent thunder and hail, and the fire ran along upon the ground; and the LORD rained hail upon the land of Egypt. 24  So there was hail, and fire mingled with the hail, very grievous, such as there was none like it in all the land of Egypt since it became a nation.

But they don't mention the erosion of the pyramids as none as far as I know have their original outer layer.

• Members

There are biblical answers for many mysteries but when those investigating these things outright reject anything biblical, or even the existence of God, they cut themselves off from truth and must rely upon theories based upon other theories, guesses and plain made-up ideas.

• Members

There was a TV programme a few years ago which said the great Sphinx was thousands of years older than the pyramids, If remember correctly they said 20,000 BC, as there was much more erosion on one side of the Sphinx than the other, showing that rainfall had been much greater than in the past, but I notice a bible reason for that, Exodus 9:23  And Moses stretched forth his rod toward heaven: and the LORD sent thunder and hail, and the fire ran along upon the ground; and the LORD rained hail upon the land of Egypt. 24  So there was hail, and fire mingled with the hail, very grievous, such as there was none like it in all the land of Egypt since it became a nation.

But they don't mention the erosion of the pyramids as none as far as I know have their original outer layer.

Very interesting. The extreme amount of hail mixed with fire would have certainly caused structual damage in a short period of time to the Sphinx and other buidlings.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this matter?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2016/3/5 at 11:45 AM, Ronda said:

Sorry to post another right after, but just thought of another scientific Biblical fact. It was only a century or so ago that medical science figured out that "bleeding" people would kill them! (or maybe this would be in the realm of biology... but I guess that IS medical science, lol)
Anyways... all those years of "bleeding" people (so many died from it...) and all they would have had to do was take Leviticus 17:11 at literal value!!! "For the life of the flesh is in the blood..." and Leviticus 17:14 "For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof..."

Brethren,

It has been awhile since I posted the last study and since that time we have had some new brethren join OnLine Baptist. I will be preparing the new lesson in app. 2 or 3 days. Before I post it I, want to give some time to any of the new brethren that may have any questions or comments on any of the previous lessons. Your thoughts and comments are always welcomed and encouraged.

I am planning the next lesson to study, "Medical Science on the Blood." The scientific advances on the blood is worthy of our attention and verify the statement, as Ronda brought out, on Leviticus 17:14.

Regards,

Alan

• Members
3 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

My understanding is they believed that by bleeding a person, they would remove whatever disease was afflicting the sick person.

There was a man who retired from his coal merchants business due to ill health in the 1800s, at one time saw one of the top London surgeons.  He became the main financial support for a local Baptist church.  A report in a Baptist Magazine said he was under treatment and leeches were applied. He died soon after, in about 1852, due to a burst blood vessel.