• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Scientific Facts in the Bible.

• Members

God created the sun to burn slowly. Gravity compacts the hydrogen so it can't burn all at once. The nuclear fusion going on in the sun is long lasting.

Kind of like the difference between tossing a match in a bucket of kerosene and having the same amount of kerosene in a lamp and lighting the fuse. The bucket will quickly burn itself out but the lamp will burn a great deal longer.

We can rest assured God created the sun to burn rightly for as long as we need it to.

• Members
9 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

I'm not very knowledgeable about scientific things though I find it all fascinating...especially from a scriptural perspective.  Lately, I've been curious about the sun.  How come it doesn't just "burn up"?  God created it for "the light that rules the day",  and so it will be there for the time God has appointed it to be...but I am curious as to how it does not consume itself.  

Good question.  When my wife was a new teacher one of her class of juniour pupils asked whet the sun was made of?  She said she didn't know but it is thought it was composed of gas.  Another member of the class said "Does God put a shiling in the meter?"  

But seriously the answer is God made all the heavenly bodies that way.

Heb 1:1 ¶  God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3  Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Holding all things together by His Word.  God said "Let their be light, and there was light." By the same word, all things are held together.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
19 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

I'm not very knowledgeable about scientific things though I find it all fascinating...especially from a scriptural perspective.  Lately, I've been curious about the sun.  How come it doesn't just "burn up"?  God created it for "the light that rules the day",  and so it will be there for the time God has appointed it to be...but I am curious as to how it does not consume itself.  

WellwithMySoul,

I will try and give a brief scientific reason for your question. First though, I will need to give three photos, some mathematical caluculations (which you may safely choose to ignore), and other material that explains the calculations. I will highlight the important sections by green font.

Photo Credits by NASA

Earth and the Sun

cross-sectional diagram of the sundiagram of the suns atmospheric layers

The Composition of the Sun

1. 90% Hydrogen

2. 9 % Helium

3. 1 % of other elements: carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, silicon, and iron.

The Sun is Massive

The diameter of the Sun is 865,000 miles, or about 109 times the diameter of the earth, and is approximately 300,000 times as massive as the earth.

Nuclear Reaction & Rate of Consumption

Thermonuclear reactions in the center of the Sun converts the hydrogen atoms in helium, which powers the Sun. The thermonuclear reactions consume approximately 5 million tons of the nuclear hydrogen material every second.

We need to take note that the thermonuclear reactions take place in the center of the sun and that the outer layers are the results of those explosions.

Scientific Calculations for the Consumption Rate of the Sun

Courtesy of

“R. Kippenhahn, Discovering the Secrets of the Sun, Wiley Press, 1994.”

Stanford University’s Internet Link of Keppenhan’s research:

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/FAQ/Qshrink.html

The Sun actually does lose mass in the process of producing energy. Let us see how much.

We can use the following numbers from Kenneth R. Lang's book: _Astrophysical Data_:

Solar Mass = 1.989 x 1033 g

Absolute luminosity = 3.86 x 1033 erg/sec

Speed of light c   = 2.99 x 1010 cm/sec

Start with Einstein's famous equation: "E = mass times c2" and rearrange the terms to solve for the mass M:

M = E/c2

And after inputting our numbers:

= 3.86x1033/(2.99x1010)2

= 4.289x1012 g/sec

we find that the Sun loses mass 4.289x1012 g every second to energy. Or, in other units, the Sun loses mass 1.353x1020 g every year to energy.

The Sun is thought to have a remaining lifetime of about 5x109 years. If we assume that the Sun's rate of fuel consumption (the luminosity value given above) remains constant (it won't, but it isn't a bad assumption) in the remaining time of 5x109 years, then let us see how much mass the Sun will convert to energy in its remaining lifetime.

Mass = (1.353x1020 g/year) * 5x109 years = 6.8 x 1029 g

In units of tons, every second, the Sun's fusion processes are converting about 700 million tons of hydrogen into helium "ashes". In doing so, 0.7 percent of the hydrogen matter (5 million tons) disappears as pure energy. (My reference for this paragraph is "The Sun" chapter in _The New Solar System_ editor: Beatty and Chaikin, Sky Publishing Press.)

Since the Sun's current mass is 1.989 x 1033 g, the percentage of its current mass that will be converted to energy is:

6.8 x 1029 g / 1.989 x 1033 g = 0.00034 of its current mass or .034 percent.

In other words, the Sun's mass at the end of its lifetime is 99.966% of its current mass. See.. nothing to worry about!

End of Quote

Wikipedia explains the above calculations 

Condensed & Highlighted in Green by Alan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

The Sun does not have enough mass to explode as a supernova. Instead it will exit the main sequence in approximately 5 billion years and start to turn into a red giant.[120][121] As a red giant, the Sun will grow so large that it will engulf Mercury, Venus, and probably Earth.[121][122]

Even before it becomes a red giant, the luminosity of the Sun will have nearly doubled, and Earth will be hotter than Venus is today. Once the core hydrogen is exhausted in 5.4 billion years, the Sun will expand into a subgiant phase and slowly double in size over about half a billion years. It will then expand more rapidly over about half a billion years until it is over two hundred times larger than today and a couple of thousand times more luminous. This then starts the red-giant-branch phase where the Sun will spend around a billion years and lose around a third of its mass.[121]

After the red-giant branch the Sun has approximately 120 million years of active life left, but much happens. First, the core, full of degenerate helium ignites violently in the helium flash, where it is estimated that 6% of the core, itself 40% of the Sun's mass, will be converted into carbon within a matter of minutes through the triple-alpha process.[123] The Sun then shrinks to around 10 times its current size and 50 times the luminosity, with a temperature a little lower than today. It will then have reached the red clump or horizontal branch, but a star of the Sun's mass does not evolve blueward along the horizontal branch. Instead, it just becomes moderately larger and more luminous over about 100 million years as it continues to burn helium in the core.[121]

When the helium is exhausted, the Sun will repeat the expansion it followed when the hydrogen in the core was exhausted, except that this time it all happens faster, and the Sun becomes larger and more luminous. This is the asymptotic-giant-branch phase, and the Sun is alternately burning hydrogen in a shell or helium in a deeper shell. After about 20 million years on the early asymptotic giant branch, the Sun becomes increasingly unstable, with rapid mass loss and thermal pulses that increase the size and luminosity for a few hundred years every 100,000 years or so. The thermal pulses become larger each time, with the later pulses pushing the luminosity to as much as 5,000 times the current level and the radius to over 1 AU.[124] According to a 2008 model, Earth's orbit is shrinking due to tidal forces (and, eventually, drag from the lower chromosphere), so that it is engulfed by the Sun near the end of the asymptotic-giant-branch phase. Models vary depending on the rate and timing of mass loss. Models that have higher mass loss on the red-giant branch produce smaller, less luminous stars at the tip of the asymptotic giant branch, perhaps only 2,000 times the luminosity and less than 200 times the radius.[121] For the Sun, four thermal pulses are predicted before it completely loses its outer envelope and starts to make a planetary nebula. By the end of that phase – lasting approximately 500,000 years – the Sun will only have about half of its current mass.

The luminosity stays approximately constant as the temperature increases, with the ejected half of the Sun's mass becoming ionised into a planetary nebula as the exposed core reaches 30,000 K. The final naked core temperature will be over 100,000 K, after which the remnant will cool towards a white dwarf. The planetary nebula will disperse in about 10,000 years, but the white dwarf will survive for trillions of years before fading to black

End of quote

WellwithMySoul and Brethren,

So, an easy to understood answer to the question, “Why does't the Sun just burn up, or, How long till the sun consumes its energy to sustain life on earth?

In about  5.4 billion years the nuclear material will be exhausted and the Sun will start a degenerative process. About that time life on earth will be unsustainable. 

The primary purpose of the Sun is for the sustenance of life on the Earth. God, in His wonderful care of His creation, provided the Sun for our physical life on the Earth! Due to the massive size of the Sun the fusionable material to create the energy for life on earth will last a long time to come.

“And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. “Genesis 1: 16-18

The power of the sun “rules,” over all of the life on the earth. God made the sun for our good and is verifiable by modern instruments and mathematical calculations.

Alan

• Members

John81 and Invicta,

Thank you for bringing out the spiritual aspect of the purpose and life of the Sun.

15 hours ago, John81 said:

God created the sun to burn slowly. Gravity compacts the hydrogen so it can't burn all at once. The nuclear fusion going on in the sun is long lasting.

13 hours ago, Invicta said:

But seriously the answer is God made all the heavenly bodies that way.

Heb 1:1 ¶  God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3  Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Holding all things together by His Word.  God said "Let their be light, and there was light." By the same word, all things are held together

From Genesis to Revelation, all of the "creative acts," of God are for the good of mankind. As time goes on, and man gets past his rudimentary knowledge of the scientific facts governing the universe and philosophy, and uses the scrientific data available to us, it is very obvious that evolution is a lie and that scientific facts prove the scientific statements found in the scriptures. 

Alan

Edited by Alan
doubled wording excessive wordiness our to out

• Administrators

Alan, thank you for your exhaustive research into this subject of the sun. Other than man, the sun is probably the most amazing of God's creations.

Ps 19:1 <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 
 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 
 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 
 4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, 
 5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. 
 6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Alan said:

WellwithMySoul and Brethren,

So, an easy to understood answer to the question, “Why does't the Sun just burn up, or, How long till the sun consumes its energy to sustain life on earth?

In about  5.4 billion years the nuclear material will be exhausted and the Sun will start a degenerative process. About that time life on earth will be unsustainable. 

The primary purpose of the Sun is for the sustenance of life on the Earth. God, in His wonderful care of His creation, provided the Sun for our physical life on the Earth! Due to the massive size of the Sun the fusionable material to create the energy for life on earth will last a long time to come.

“And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. “Genesis 1: 16-18

The power of the sun “rules,” over all of the life on the earth. God made the sun for our good and is verifiable by modern instruments and mathematical calculations.

Alan

The problem with all those calculations:  Before all that happens we will expect the New Heaven and New Earth.

• Members
4 hours ago, Invicta said:

The problem with all those calculations:  Before all that happens we will expect the New Heaven and New Earth.

No doubt the calculations which claim to know the age of the sun and how long the sun will last are speculations; often speculations based upon false evolutionary concepts.

However, we can expect the sun to perform in accord with God's plans and for Christ to return and the New Heaven and New Earth to be established long before billions of years pass.

• Members
21 hours ago, Alan said:

Since the Sun's current mass is 1.989 x 1033 g, the percentage of its current mass that will be converted to energy is:

6.8 x 1029 g / 1.989 x 1033 g = 0.00034 of its current mass or .034 percent.

In other words, the Sun's mass at the end of its lifetime is 99.966% of its current mass. See.. nothing to worry about!

End of Quote

Brethren,

Please take careful note of the last sentence. The calculations used by Kippenhahn were based on the "Sun's current mass." In my search for reliable information I purposely did not use calculations based on a false evolutionary concept. If a person finds an error to one of the calculations that Kuppenhahn used plese bring it to my attention. Alan

• Members
1 minute ago, Alan said:

Brethren,

Please take careful note of the last sentence. The calculations used by Kippenhahn were based on the "Sun's current mass." In my search for reliable information I purposely did not use calculations based on a false evolutionary concept. If a person finds an error to one of the calculations that Kuppenhahn used plese bring it to my attention. Alan

Alan,

I apologize my post was not worded so as you would realize it wasn't directed at or against what you posted. Virtually all information regarding the sun uses calculations, as is to be expected, which are based upon much speculation coupled with what we do know (or think we know at this time) and useful for the overall picture even if they may be inaccurate.

My post above was simply meant to point out we can't truly know when the sun first formed (well, we who believe the Bible can, but those who calculate using other means apparently can't) and we can't even get accurate readings of things here on earth let alone be anywhere close as to how long the sun will burn across the span of billions of years.

To be clear, my post wasn't against your post, or claiming your post contained evolutionary aspects, it was a post in general on the topic. Regardless of how accurate or inaccurate their calculations, the sun will serve the purpose God has for it for the time length God has determined, so we need not worry about that. That's all I was trying to say.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

• Members

Brethren,

I do hope that these studies have been and encouragement to you and helps you understand the scientific accuracy of the scriptures in all areas.

Are there any other others areas of discussion, or comments, on this study on the Sun before I post the next study?

I am thinking of branching out into the other areas of the scientific areas of the scriptures. Namely, the two previous areas menitioned by UkuleleMike and Ronda; Archelogical Scientic discoveries or Medical Scientific discoveries.  Is there any preference among anybody?

Regards,

Alan

• Members

No preference here, brother Alan.  All devotions which bring praise to the Lord are welcome. God's word is truth. Romans 1:20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse" Mankind's feeble attempts at mocking God with falsehoods such as evolution and the "big bang" will be no excuse when they meet their maker at the great white throne judgment. 

• Members

Brethren,

I am working on the next lesson on, "Sennacherib's Prisim, " (The Tayor Prism and the Jerusalem Prisim), for a study on Archeological Science.

In order to help the timeline on Archeology, the best known dating system was created by, James Ussher, 1581-1656, "Annals of the World," published in 1650, and will be the basis of the dating system in the Old Testament.

The Institute for Creation Research has a good article on the reliability of Ussher's, "Annals of the World," in the following article. Here is the link: http://www.icr.org/article/can-ussher-chronology-be-trusted/

Regards,

Alan

Edited by Alan
re-arrange the second paragraph & ICR's proper name

• Members

Brethren,

It is very apparent that most folks are not too familiar with James Ussher's, 'The Annals of the World,' and that very few people have a copy. Here is a copy of, 'The Annals of the World,' that you can read on the internet.https://archive.org/details/AnnalsOfTheWorld

As I feel I need to have a more accurate dating system in these lessons than before, I will also need to revise my lesson on,  "Sennacherib's Prisim, " (The Tayor Prism and the Jerusalem Prisim), before I can upload it and make it more user-friendly. So, please bear with me a few more days as I have other commitments.

Alan 

• Members

Thanks Alan 

Another chronologist who attempted that was Martin Ainsley.  He used only dates given in the Bible for his chronology.  he claims that scripture gives a complete chronology from Adam to Christ.  He said there are errors in secular dates.  He begins his dates from the creation of Adam and finishes at the crucfixion when he said bible chronology finishes.  

http://www.amen.org.uk/anstey/anstey1.pdf

http://www.amen.org.uk/anstey/anstey2.pdf

The first volume is his exposition and the second his charts.  I borrowed these books from the library many years ago and if I remember correctly I thought his charts did not agree with his exposition.

• Members

Invicta,

Thank you. I re-started my work on Sennecerib's Prism this morning. I have heard about Martin Ainsley before, but I have not studied his work. I will probably incorprate his work, at least in footnotes, in the study.

Alan