• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Whore on the Beast

• Moderators

Been studying the book of the Revelation. This week is Chapter 17, with the whore sitting on the scarlet colored beast.

There has been a general consensus for a long time that the whore is the Catholic church, but of late, I am questioning that. Mind you, not firm, just looking it over from different perspective. My primary reason is that the RCC doesn't seem to have the power it once had-they seem to be really fighting to maintain relevancy in a very different world from that which they once ruled. 

So I have been looking at some of the imagery we have often assigned to the RCC ro see if it could fit anything else.

My basic idea, not fully formed as yet, is the Whore, Babylon, to actually be the entire world system of the last days. The seven mountains, as opposed to be the seven hills of Rome, I see as possibly being the seven continents of the earth-the ten heads of the beast being the 10 economic regions which may make up the last ten kingdoms given power by the Antichrist. The scarlet and purple clothing and golden cup represents the eccelesiastic and political power and riches she will hold, and of course, a primary work of her will be the killing of the followers of Christ, all those who will not take the mark of the beast, nor number of his name or worship the image of the beast-the rebels. And of course, the whore also sits on many waters, which the angel explains to be many people, and multitudes and nations and tongues-hence, ALL the world, the seven continents. And the destruction of the whore by the ten kings who hate the whore, will dissolve the world system and give all power unto one in the Antichrist-literally becoming one huge nation, (like Star Trek! Only without the green chicks!)  (sorry).

Anyways, just a theory in the works-I just don't know that the RCC has the power anymore to be the whore, as she no longer rules over the nations. Perhaps the imagery is similar because at one time, she did have such power, and was a picture of the whore to come. So, that's it. Please beat me down gently. :bonk:

• Members

I know others who hold to a similar viewpoint. This view seems to have grown more popular over the past decade or so.

The RCC doesn't hold the overt sway they once did but they are still a powerful force behind the scenes. As things currently stand, it would be hard to see the RCC being a major control player. However, if massive chaos and disaster came about we could expect the masses to turn to "religion" for help and answers. If the RCC could offer hope at such a time, and the right people were in power in certain nations at that time, the RCC could quickly reassert herself as a power player. In so doing, many other leaders would want to hitch themselves to the RCC hoping to reap the benefits, thus giving the RCC even more power. With all this going on there could be a revival of militant Catholicism, at least in some parts of the world. Even today in parts of South America and elsewhere the RCC holds much power and militant Catholics persecute and at times even drive off and kill Christians and others who they see as a threat to their power.

Whether the RCC or the other possibility, I can see how either could work. Of course, if all this happens after Christians are gone we won't see any of this. Yet if these things come about prior to Christ coming for His own, it's something we need to consider and watch.

• Members

I've had similar thoughts before. I can't say I'm dogmatically committed to one over the other at this point. In Jewish prophetic and apocalyptic literature, Babylon is often used to symbolize complete idolatry and spiritual whoredom since it was the first great epitome of such. This is especially evident all throughout Isaiah. One reason the RCC has often been given the label is the way it has sunken into ever-increasing idolatry through Mariolatry, saint veneration (i.e. worship), and various other pagan-esque practices and the way it has long had worldwide influence. For the seven-continent theory to hold, there would have to be a rise of a false religious system that equals or surpasses the power and influence of the RCC (Islam maybe...?). Otherwise the Babylon reference would not make sense.

• Administrators

I don't believe that it is speaking of the RCC as it stands today. I believe that it will revert to the Babylonia paganism it was founded on. And I do think somehow it will incorporate other false belief systems like Islam. Jesus will be booted - I don't think He will even be given lip service as the RCC does today.

• Members

You're fooling yourselves if you think the RCC doesn't have the power it once did. Almost all the RCC does is from paganism in it's churches, it's mass, everything. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

The RCC is indeed filled with paganism. While casting itself as a Christian church, their fake Christianity has always adopted and accepted various aspects of pagan and other false religions in the name of getting those who practiced them into the fold of the RCC. Even Voo-doo practices are accepted within certain RC churches under the guise of giving them a Christian coating.

In recent years the RCC has been making strides in conversing with various Islamic leaders. It would not be a stretch for a day to come when both the RCC and Islamists see benefits to yoking together.

• Moderators

You're fooling yourselves if you think the RCC doesn't have the power it once did. Almost all the RCC does is from paganism in it's churches, it's mass, everything. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

Oh, believe me, I don't doubt the RCC's paganism, and I know they still hold sway in many places-however, at one time, kings and kingdoms teetered upon what a pope did or said-today they have really no say in politics, at least not obviously. I see that in how this new pope feels he has to kowtow to the various special interests like global warming and evolution. Though I know they have been evolutionists for a long time, they are getting much more vocal about it-and I believe its because they are trying to stay relevant and important in the world overall.  But no longer do the world powers shake and jump at the word of the pope as they once did.

I have another theory I have been considering in the area of the end times, and I suspect others may also share it.

I'll try to be brief. In a nutshell, I am thinking the Beast may come disguised as the 12th Imam of Islam. Why. Well, when we consider the influence and power Islam is having today, and the inexplicable bowing and scraping the countries are doing to them, much like they once did to the RCC, and how so many seem unable or unwilling to see them for the blatant violent evil they are, it seems some great satanic power is being afforded to them over other false religions.  A serious blinding is being done to people's eyes.

As well, Revelation speaks of the martyrs 'beheaded' for the cause of Christ: seriously, in all the history of the church age, we have not seen beheading as being  a mass way of killing believers, (though some are only so-called believers) as we are beginning to see today with Islam-its their modus operandi, as it were, their signature method of killing. And I expect it will get much worse.

Then there is the fact that the beast will be accompanied by a false prophet, with two horns 'like a lamb'. Knowing Jesus is the Lamb of God, it almost seems that the false prophet may be a counterfeit of Jesus Christ. This would fit well with the 12th Imam theory, since, he is supposed to come accompanied by Jesus Christ, according to Islam.

According to Islam, the 12th imam will come and usher in a time of great peace, (first seal, rider on a white horse with a bow, no arrows, come to conquer in peace) accompanied by "Jesus". he will bring peace between Muslims and people 'of the book', ie, Christians and Jews. And of course, with this peace will cause all to follow himself. Well,it would have to be someone like this that the Muslims will honor and obey, that could bring peace with Israel, AND open the way for the temple to be built in Jerusalem. As well, the Jews believe that whoever makes it possible to rebuild the temple will be the Messiah, thus they will accept him. the imam fits the bill all around. And many are already amazingly enraptured with Islam, those lost will fall right in love with him.

It all just kind of fits, if it happens soon.   OR I may just be completely wrong.

• Members

What you're referring to regarding the 12th Imam (referred to as the Mahdi) is specific to Shiite version of Islam which is predominantly located in Iran, most of Iraq, and Lebanon. Their theology also states that the Mahdi can only come to usher in peace if there be widespread chaos and violence. There portion that believe they must help bring this about through mass violence, often called Twelvers. Interestingly, if you really dig into this guy, the Mahdi mirrors the Antichrist of the Bible in a lot of ways. There are a lot of people that have this same theory.