• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible-believing Politician?

• Members

Can't view the video brother,

Ted. Cruz us thth best candidate

brother Jordan, I'm don't what happen to my quote to you? But all in getting from your post is This content can't be displayed.

God bless brother

• Members

Regarding Ted Cruz:

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who tipped off an avalanche of 2016 GOP presidential candidates when he declared his run in March, ties every move he makes, every breath he takes, to God.

It's been that way all his 44 years — from his childhood in evangelical private schools, up through his 2012 Senate race aimed squarely at social conservatives, up to his campaign kickoff at Jerry Falwell-founded Liberty University. Here are five faith facts about Cruz:

1. He's a lot like his dad.

Ted likes to quote Rafael Cruz on the campaign trail, urging people to vote by God's values — in Christian conservative form.

Rafael Cruz was a Catholic Cuban refugee working in the energy industry when Ted was born in 1970 but in 1975 became a born-again Christian. By the time Ted was a teen, Rafael was a traveling preacher. Now, Rafael pastors a church in Dallas and directs the Purifying Fire Ministries, ministering in the U.S., Mexico and Central America, and campaigns for Ted among pastors.

Ted's home church is Houston's First Baptist. He likes to tell folks, "I'm Cuban, Irish and Italian, and yet somehow I ended up Southern Baptist," according to The Dallas Morning News.

2. God has always been a theme in his political roles.

"Believing is not simply sitting aside and doing a polite little golf clap," Cruz told the congregation at his friend Robert Jeffress' congregation, First Baptist Dallas. "Believing is putting everything you have, your heart, soul, life, putting everything (into) standing for what's right."

His campaign website and his U.S. Senate biography tout among his accomplishments as solicitor general of Texas that he fought for the "constitutionality of the Ten Commandments monument at the Texas State Capitol and the words 'under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance."

Cruz has said he is judicious about mentioning religious views. In 2013, he told David Brody, a host at the Christian Broadcasting Network, that politicians have "a special obligation to avoid being a Pharisee, to avoid ostentatiously wrapping yourself in your faith. Because I think in politics, it's too easy for that to become a crutch, for that to be politically useful."

Even so, he was back this summer on Brody's show, where he calculated that if all evangelicals — including more than half who he says sat out the last election — "will simply show up and vote our values, we'll turn this country around. We can turn our country around, but only if the body of Christ rises up."

3. Forget "dog whistle" politics with coded messages to religious voters. Cruz has a trumpet.

Cruz doesn't tiptoe around God in his politics. That's clear from his speech to a cheering crowd at Liberty University (where students are fined if they don't show up for guest speakers, according to The Washington Post).

"From the dawn of this country, at every stage, America has enjoyed God's providential blessing. Over and over again, when we face impossible odds, the American people rose to the challenge," Cruz said.

He went on to the standard conservative checklist: repealing Obamacare and Common Core, abolishing the IRS, securing the border, protecting privacy and gun rights, honoring the Constitution and more. But he warned that this all stands on realizing "that our rights don't come from man. They come from God Almighty."

Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council, who witnessed the speech, said, "Senator Cruz seems to understand that the next generation of believers is looking for conviction — not a milquetoast version of the Gospel that requires nothing."

In 2013 and 2014, Cruz has won the group's annual Values Voter Summit presidential straw pollamong 2,000 social conservatives.  Perkins says Cruz wins because they "are looking for leaders who will take clear, unequivocal stands on the challenges facing our nation, not nuanced politically correct speeches."

4. Religious liberty is his basic stump speech theme.

"In the past month, we have seen religious liberty under assault at an unprecedented level," Cruz told the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition outside Des Moines in April.

Like many candidates, Cruz did a video for the Circle of Protection, a group of 100 Christian leaders working against global poverty. He leveraged a call to care into an attack on the federal policies he says interfere with individual and faith-based charities' religious liberties. Generous Americans — those who know their Psalm 72:13, who know "that the plight of the poor is close to the heart of God," he said — need liberty from taxes and regulations that interfere with their efforts.

5. Not everyone cheers.

Cruz is an ardent Zionist. But speaking to an Arab Christian audience in Washington last September, he ran straight into a wall of disapproval by people who think Israel has taken Palestinian lands illegally and driven out Christians as well as Muslims. Politico said Cruz wasbooed off the stage for calling for absolute support for Israel, accusing those who disagreed of being "consumed with hate" and concluding, "If you will not stand with Israel and the Jews, then I will not stand with you."

Regarding Mike Huckabee:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee is no stranger to the pulpit—or politics. The former Fox News Channel host announced Tuesday his bid for the GOP nomination for the White House. Here are five facts about this Southern Baptist’s perspectives on faith.

1. Before he was a politician, he was a pastor.

Huckabee was a pastor who preached for 12 years in Arkansas pulpits before he became a governor and, later, a 2008 candidate for president. While he was governor (1996-2007), he maintained his pastoral instincts, sometimes contacting members of his Southern Baptist church when he learned of a death in their families.

“I think it’s the greatest preparation that a person can have for public service,” he told RNS in a 2007 interview. “Somebody says they want to talk about the issue of the elderly, I’ve dealt with those folks. I’ve dealt with a 14-year-old girl who’s pregnant and hasn’t told her parents yet. I’ve talked to the young couple who’s head over heels in debt. … I think it gives you a real perspective about people and what they’re going through that’s important.”

If elected, he would be the first minister elected to the Oval Office (although James Garfield was a lay minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and Jimmy Carter is a well-known Baptist Sunday school teacher).

2. He led Baptists statewide, not just in the pew.

While he was pastor of Beech Street First Baptist Church in Texarkana, Ark., from 1986 to 1992, Huckabee, now 59, was the youngest president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention, a job that helped prompt him to think about switching from pastoring to politics. Pastor David Uth, the leader of First Baptist Church in Orlando, Fla., told RNS that in that post, Huckabee worked to calm differences between moderate and conservative Baptists in his home state.

3. He is a favorite of evangelicals and he claims them, too.

“There are a lot of people running for president,” he told the Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Values Voter Presidential Debate, whose 2007 participants gave him a 63 percent win in its straw poll. “Many of them will come to you. I come from you.” Christian publisher Steve Strang urged 1,000 readers of his magazines—Charisma and New Man—to give $1,000 each to Huckabee’s 2008 campaign. He won the 2008 Iowa caucuses—about 60 percent of Iowa GOP caucus-goers are evangelicals—but dropped out when he was overtaken by Sen. John McCain.

4. He is a fierce defender of traditional marriage — and Chick-fil-A.

When Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy sparked controversy in 2012 by saying he was “guilty as charged” for supporting traditional marriage, Huckabee spearheaded a “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day” for the restaurant known for its waffle fries and Christian roots. Earlier this year, Huckabee told CNN’s “State of the Union” that expectations that Christians would accept same-sex marriage are “like asking someone who’s Jewish to start serving bacon-wrapped shrimp in their deli.”

5. As a political leader, he says he respects people of all faiths and no faith.

“It was never my desire to use my position to push a particular religious doctrine through the official channels of government. Spiritual convictions should certainly be reflected in one’s worldview, approaches to problems, and perspective,” he wrote in his 2008 book, Do the Right Thing. “An atheist who believes that we are on our own and that our only true God is the natural world might be more protective of bugs, plants, and animals than one who believes that God created all these things for us to manage, care for, and even use in a responsible manner.”

• Members

John81,

Thank you for the in-depth analysis of Texas Senator Ted Cruz and and former Gov. Mike Huckabee. Obviously you are well informed and brought out important facts that are of concern to all of us that are not well known. I am sure that it not only helped me but the other brethren on OnLine Baptist.

Alan

• Members

Amen John, Ted Cruz has no issues section on his website, instead there's Proven Record, recalling Matt 7:16, he bluntly ask ,when have you fought for your principles ,when have you bled for them, and what have you accomplished. The liberals twisted he words when he was fighting Obamacare, "when Jesus hang on a tree and died he left us alone to go set at the right of God and America needs to turn to Jesus. They got one thing right "America needs to turn to Jesus. Amen.

Ted Cruz sees a particular susceptibility for candidates which wear their faith on there sleeves as convenient political grab.Donald Trump says he's a Presbyterian and proud of it. Ted Cruz gives testimony that he's a born again Christian and Jesus is his Lord and Savior.yep he's right.

God bless