• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Arches below Temple?

• Members

Heard a man comment about how holy the Temple was, that the Lord didn't want the foundation to touch the ground. He said they built arches between two mounts until it leveled with the tops of those mounts, then laid the foundation on those arches, thus making it not touch the ground.

Ever hear this?

• Moderators

Well, the Tabernacle was built on the ground, and every altar of stones was built on the ground (and with the ground). The temple was razed - what, 3 times? - which one of those incarnations was suggested to have been built on arches? After the first destruction of Jerusalem it probably was not re-built at original ground level anyways.

• Members

Thank you all. This fella tends to add in 'conspiratorial' type of tidbits to the end of his sermons sometimes. Almost every time he does I find it on the internet and find it is there because of some nut. A bit discouraging since the same guy teaches our Adult class at the church we are now attending.

• Members

Thank you all. This fella tends to add in 'conspiratorial' type of tidbits to the end of his sermons sometimes. Almost every time he does I find it on the internet and find it is there because of some nut. A bit discouraging since the same guy teaches our Adult class at the church we are now attending.

I think most conspiracy theories are made up as a smoke screen or as chaff in order that people don't see the real conspiracy. I found some of the Christian conspiratorial teachers to be highly suspect, Just like many of the non Christian ones.

• Members

Well...I've seen the Temple Mount structure and how it was built...no arches. They basically leveled the mountaintop with rock/rubble and built a retaining wall around it.

I think Herod built up the mount as his temple was larger than the previous one.

• Members

I think Herod built up the mount as his temple was larger than the previous one.

Yes, that's true. However, had arches been an important structure for the temple, a massive filling and flattening effort would have been cause for uproar and revolt rather than praised for its engineering and ingenuity.

• Members

Yes, that's true. However, had arches been an important structure for the temple, a massive filling and flattening effort would have been cause for uproar and revolt rather than praised for its engineering and ingenuity.

Yes I agree, although the Jews were originally against Herod developing the temple as they thought he may pull it down and not rebuild it.  Joephus said that while rebuilding one of the walls fell down.  The Jews told Jesus the temple was still being built during his ministry. Josephus said it was not completed until the time of Nero, a few years before it was destroyed.