• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

windows 10

• Administrators

I used Open Office on our desktop years ago. I know it's available - is it still compatible with Word? When I was using it, I could open Word docs with Open Office. 

As to WPS, I have access to it on the notebook, but it wants to charge me.

I can't get my browser to run very quickly on the notebook.  This is a gaming computer and so should be super fast. Any suggestions?

• Members
26 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

I used Open Office on our desktop years ago. I know it's available - is it still compatible with Word? When I was using it, I could open Word docs with Open Office. 

As to WPS, I have access to it on the notebook, but it wants to charge me.

I can't get my browser to run very quickly on the notebook.  This is a gaming computer and so should be super fast. Any suggestions?

WPS does offer a paid version, but I've never used the paid version. Was it already installed on the computer, or did you download it and install it? If you're interested in it, I would suggest uninstalling the current one, and then install the free version.

I also like Open Office, and that's what I'd use if I didn't use WPS. Yes, it's compatible with Word, but on some documents, it may not look exactly the same.

As to the browser issue...I'm not sure. Have all updates been installed? Are there possibly a lot of other processes running in the background that can be disabled? 

• Members

I had a free office prog on Windows  8.1 but I didn't get on with it, and someone on Amazon was supplying Office 2010 starter for £10.  This was free with win 7 and when I upgraded it to win 10 it carried over to win 10 on that laptop.  When I got a win 10 laptop it was not available so I got the version from Amazon.  It is a cut down version but it does all I want.  

• Members

There's also the free online version of Microsoft Office. I think you have to have a Microsoft account to use it though...so that they can spy on you. LOLOL! 

It's also a stripped down version, but it should work well for general use.

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online

• Members

Sounds to me like your security is slowing things down.

What anti-virus is installed?

I have win 10 on my laptop and the church PC and both boot up quickly and browse quickly.

As you say, it should be quick if it is a gaming unit. 

• Administrators

NoNi - all updates are not installed. Several of them are marked as pending. I don't know why they wouldn't be already installed by now, though, because the computer's been set up since the 26th.  WPS is on the APP list. I opened it once and it offered it to me for $. Now when I open it, it offers to update and then says update isn't necessary.

Dave, it came with Windows Defender as anti-virus. I just got notified that it needs to be updated. Sigh...I'm beginning to think all this thing is going to do is update. LOL

• Members

Ahhh...Windows 10. I tried it and reverted back to Windows 8.1. I guess I'm one of the few who like 8.1. LOL!

We actually have a similar situation on my wife's computer. She needed a designated computer to use for her travel business, so I bought one off of Amazon back in March that was supposedly new and had Windows 8 on it. That's the slowest computer I've ever seen. I've done everything that I can think of...plus tried things I've found online...but nothing has helped. There are some updates for drivers that need to be installed, but they won't install for some reason. My only resort is to take it to a Computer guru, and see if they can help...but I haven't done it yet. It's a Toshiba, and I was warned about Toshiba's need for separate updates that are completely separate from Windows...but I didn't listen.

HC, this is just a guess since I don't use 10, but I wonder if there might be some update(s) for your wireless drivers. If you can figure out how, I would go ahead and install the updates that are pending. You already have Windows 10, so I would update the whole shebang. Proceed at your own risk though, because I can't promise that it will help.

I'll stop giving information about WPS. Without being able to physically sit at your computer, I no longer feel comfortable giving advice about it.

I use Linux, and boy am I glad. LOL!

If the computer is new, surely it comes with some type of warranty; in which, it can be fixed for issues like this.

• Members

By the way...I'm also one of the few who really liked Vista!

Unfortunately, it (Vista) came out at a peculiar time; in which, computer's hardware wasn't ready for it. I think a lot of people's problems with Vista wasn't actually Vista's fault; rather, Vista was forced onto hardware that couldn't really handle it. Our Sony Vaio (which I bought new in 2006) came with Vista, and I loved it. Despite only having 1 GB of RAM, it actually performed pretty well for several years...updates took their toll on it though. 1 GB of RAM is nothing by today's standards, and it's certainly isn't enough to handle most of today's tasks.

That computer is running like a racehorse now though since I installed my personal Linux OS on it. It runs faster than Vista ever did back in the day...it boots up using only +/- 90 MBs of RAM with my OS.

Ah memories...LOL!

I wish I could be more help...sorry!

Edited by No Nicolaitans
had the year wrong...2006, not 1996!

• Members

The computer probably has the original win 10 and there has been a lot of updates since the original release. 

It will take time to sort through it all,  but it shouldn't be taking days and days.

Is it possible that the hard drive is a small one and filling up already?

My daughter has a netbook with a small drive - it is designed to run mostly on line and use cloud storage - but it stopped updating whe she ran out of storage.

Cleaned out a few things and updates worked fine.

• Administrators

This hard drive has at least a trilobite (can't remember whether my brother said one or more), so I don't think that's the problem, Dave.  Maybe it is updates...I can hope. .)

NoNi, the computer I'm on right now is the one we have Vista on. I've been happy with it, but the computer is getting old and worn.

• Administrators

Well, I've still been messing around with it.  I found WSP again! Weirdly, under the apps, initialization and updates were available, but I wasn't sure if initialization was what I wanted. So when I went back to WSP, lo and behold, the writing, presentation, and spreadsheet were all available. So I pinned them to Start so I wouldn't lose them again.

I tried to log in to OB, but can't remember my password. LOL So now I wait until I either figure it out or the request for a new one gets to my email (which it was supposed to already have done). Computers. Making life easier. Haha!

• Members

Ok - we are ruling out possibles on the updates.

The next thing to check is your connection.

If your wifi is a bit flakey you will have trouble with the updates.

The church ended up buying a new modem a while back, because our connection was a bit hit and miss.

This could be your internal wifi connection (plug it in by wire if you can to check this), or it could be your external connection. Your provided can check it.

If you open a cmd window (run, then cmd) and type "ping google.com" you will get a ping check which will tell you how good your connection is. You want 4 similar response times with no failures.

The actual speed of the response I can't help with as it will be different for you to where I am.

Anyone know what she should be looking for?

It sounds to me like it is failing to connect properly, but your other pc is apparently working fine......

• Administrators

Things seem to be running a bit quicker. I'm stoked because I was able to load our printer. There is no physical drive on the notebook, so I wasn't sure how to go about it. I hit the share on my other laptop, and then just told my notebook to add a printer - it came up with this one, and wham! It's on there. I've loaded all of our docs and pics on the new one. Now we'll see how things go...

Thanks, all. This has been a ride. ;) 

• Members

Despite being a Linux user and fan, there are definitely areas that Windows supersedes in...printers are on of them; therefore, I only use certain printers that I know work well with Linux...cough, cough...HP printers...cough, cough...sniffle, sniffle...

Still, by using HP printers, I've never had a problem in that area on Linux. : )

I'm glad you were able to sort the printer issue out. Perhaps Dave's great advice will help you through the online issues?