• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

windows 10

• Members
On ‎2015‎年‎9‎月‎7‎日 at 5:36 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

Bro. Alan,

If you haven't made a decision on a Linux OS yet, I'd like to give my recommendation if that's okay.

Ubuntu is a great OS, however, out of all of the myriad of Linux OS's available, Ubuntu is the one that shares some of your information with other parties. Granted, it doesn't come anywhere close to what Microsoft does, but they do still share some of your information. I also don't care for the way Ubuntu looks...but that's my opinion. Some people love it. For quite some time, the most popular Linux OS has been Linux Mint. It's one that I would recommend too. 

Whatever you decide, realize that there is a learning curve with Linux...but don't let that deter you. Take advantage of their forums, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I use Linux about 99% of the time now. About the only time I use our Windows computer is when I run virus and malware scans with Avast and Malwarebytes. :nuts:

No Nicolaitans,

Last week I installed Linux MInt 17.3 'Cinnamon' on our church computer. So far so good. I want to thank you for your suggestion and receommendation.

Alan

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I am on the verge of changing over my computer system to Linux / Ubuntu. Anybody got any recommendations?

If you're new to Linux, Mint + Cinnamon is the way to go.  I'm actually pretty close to pulling the trigger on this myself.  The amount of monitoring that the commerical operating systems do is starting to border on the ridiculous.

• Members

Still running XP on my 2006 vintage laptop.  Was running XP Media Center on my 2002 vintage PC until 2014 when I messed up the boot record.  Is Windows 10 still the latest and greatest or is there something better coming along soon?  I hate Apple but might go Linux if I can get it to run like Windows 98/XP.

• Members
7 hours ago, Texianfortruth said:

I am on the verge of changing over my computer system to Linux / Ubuntu. Anybody got any recommendations?

If you're new to Linux, Mint + Cinnamon is the way to go.  I'm actually pretty close to pulling the trigger on this myself.  The amount of monitoring that the commerical operating systems do is starting to border on the ridiculous.

I installed Linux Mint, "Rosa," five months ago. So far I like it. The installation went perfect.  I did though, before I installed it, ran off an instruction manual off the internet. I would suggest that first you get an instruction manual. And, if you know anybody who has already installed Linux get their advice and have them help you.

There are six issues that I discovered.

1. The Linux will not run the CD games that I have. I did though two weeks ago install the "Wine" software. Linux will now play some, not all, of the CD games.

2. I use Chinese. And the system for foreign languages is not as good as the system for Microsoft 7. I still fun Microsoft 7 on another computer for my Chinese language material; i.e. sermons, lessons, etc...  So far, I am very limited on running a foreign language (Chinese), on Linux.

3. The material that I download from Microsoft 7 to Linux has to be re-romatted and from the Linux to Microsoft 7 has to be re-formatted. So far a little box comes up and asks you what to do and I do what it recommends. So far no major problems. The font though does change and some of the spacing.

4. You have to learn some new computer terminology and try and get answers from folks who are computer geeks and it is sometimes impossible to follow their instructions. The tutorials on youtube for Microsoft 7 are much better to learn. Most, not all, of the tutorials on LInux are verbal and not pictorial, so, i am not sure what to do.

5. I have a website for the church using Microsoft Expression Web 4. As far as I know, up to this time, I cannot reformat Expression Web 4 onto the Linux Web developement. So, I need to keep my Microsoft 7 computer as my main computer for our churches webpage. At this time I do not know what to do. Any suggestions from anybody with Linux?

6. On occasion, you have to use the Terminal, and computer code, on Linux. I still am having problems with the Terminal that I cannot resolve as the computer geeks on the internet cannot reach down to my understanding and tell me what to do.

Hope the above helps you.

If any of the brethren has any suggestions on the problems that I have encountered your help is appreciated.

Alan

• Members
13 minutes ago, Alan said:

I installed Linux Mint, "Rosa," five months ago. So far I like it. The installation went perfect.  I did though, before I installed it, ran off an instruction manual off the internet. I would suggest that first you get an instruction manual. And, if you know anybody who has already installed Linux get their advice and have them help you.

There are six issues that I discovered.

1. The Linux will not run the CD games that I have. I did though two weeks ago install the "Wine" software. Linux will now play some, not all, of the CD games.

2. I use Chinese. And the system for foreign languages is not as good as the system for Microsoft 7. I still fun Microsoft 7 on another computer for my Chinese language material; i.e. sermons, lessons, etc...  So far, I am very limited on running a foreign language (Chinese), on Linux.

3. The material that I download from Microsoft 7 to Linux has to be re-romatted and from the Linux to Microsoft 7 has to be re-formatted. So far a little box comes up and asks you what to do and I do what it recommends. So far no major problems. The font though does change and some of the spacing.

4. You have to learn some new computer terminology and try and get answers from folks who are computer geeks and it is sometimes impossible to follow their instructions. The tutorials on youtube for Microsoft 7 are much better to learn. Most, not all, of the tutorials on LInux are verbal and not pictorial, so, i am not sure what to do.

5. I have a website for the church using Microsoft Expression Web 4. As far as I know, up to this time, I cannot reformat Expression Web 4 onto the Linux Web developement. So, I need to keep my Microsoft 7 computer as my main computer for our churches webpage. At this time I do not know what to do. Any suggestions from anybody with Linux?

6. On occasion, you have to use the Terminal, and computer code, on Linux. I still am having problems with the Terminal that I cannot resolve as the computer geeks on the internet cannot reach down to my understanding and tell me what to do.

Hope the above helps you.

If any of the brethren has any suggestions on the problems that I have encountered your help is appreciated.

Alan

Alan,

You installed Wine...did you also install PlayOnLinux? That MAY allow you to use the other game CDs.

As for the languages, I assume you installed the Chinese language with whatever language software app came with Mint? I can't help with that...sorry. I do know that there are some Chinese specific Linux OSs. If you go to Distrowatch on the internet and search for distros from China, you might be able to view their software, or visit their website to get information.

Also, there is a free office suite for Linux called WPS Office. It's almost exactly like Microsoft Office in looks...and...it's from China. If you install that, it might help with the fonts. Not sure, but it might. 

I'm unable to offer any help with your website.

I'll be glad to help with terminal commands if possible. 

If you have any questions, send me a message, and I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I'm not an expert, but I have a little knowledge and experience with Linux...been using it now for a few years. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Using Windows 10, since it was introduced. Way too much conspiracy people. It's just a system to improve the functionality of the programs that are too powerful for older systems. They're not gonna 'git us'. This is where fear takes you - everything is anti-christ - and your fear overtakes your sense of focus - and supports all the propaganda put out by fear mongers who want you to purchase their books on end time events and strategy. Making us focus on the 'getting ready' for big brother to come get us and make war with the saints. Eric should be loving this.

The blind leading...the sighted??

The Lord Jesus never planned as some who teach fear of the end times - he just focused on the purpose at hand - getting the gospel out to the lost - and sacrificing himself to do that. If we need to sacrifice our lives by using the system to get to the lost - so be it.

Use what you think is evil for good. Accept any cross. Fear not.

It's not Windows 10 that is the problem - it's listening to people pushing 'rights' that ought to be feared, because when we listen to them we aren't listening to the past. 

The disciples would be quite disappointed in us.

This is just my opinion by the way.

• Members
On 2016/5/20 at 9:27 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

You installed Wine...did you also install PlayOnLinux? That MAY allow you to use the other game CDs.

No Nicolaitans,

Thank you for letting me to know about the, "Wine," program. After I initially installed it, as I said before, only part of it worked. My problem was that, at the time, I did not install of the driver manage/cache updates, and I found out I had to access the  Wine program software instead of just clicking on the icon on the screen. After all the updates were installed the games worked fine.

I still like Linux and am getting better with it as time goes on. More the likely, the problem lies with the operator (me).

Thanks again.

Alan

• Members

Linux developers are a funny lot - they like to use looping references in their names.

For instance "Wine" is an acronym for "Wine is not an emulator", and technically it isn't  (apparently ), but to you and me it is an emulator and it is called wine...........

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

My brother got us a new Notebook for Christmas. It has Windows 10 OS. Supposedly it will run faster than our 9 year old computer using outdated Vista. Alas, it does not. In fact, I can barely get it to get online. My brother did not purchase Office, so I assumed there would be Word Pad...and after hours of searching, I found it. sigh...could someone who has Windows 10 help me figure some things out about it? 

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

My brother got us a new Notebook for Christmas. It has Windows 10 OS. Supposedly it will run faster than our 9 year old computer using outdated Vista. Alas, it does not. In fact, I can barely get it to get online. My brother did not purchase Office, so I assumed there would be Word Pad...and after hours of searching, I found it. sigh...could someone who has Windows 10 help me figure some things out about it? 

Not really all that hard. Just ask away - if I  don't know, someone will.

• Members
17 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

He could download Open Office or on of the other free office programs.  

• Members

Another free Office Suite that is compatible with Word is WPS Office...plus it's available for Windows and Linux. It's what I use on Linux. It looks and behaves extremely similar to Word. : )

I don't have the latest Windows version on our Windows computers, but it seems that I read that the latest version of WPS Office for Windows leaves a watermark on documents. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

https://www.wps.com/

• Members

Xp is no longer supported by ms and any security holes will not be fixed.

No anti-virus will be able to make you safe from inherent security issues.

But if you are happy with knowledge then go for it.

On the upside, most hackers will not bother with old OS, so you only really have to worry about people who are directly targetting people sticking with them.