• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

windows 10

• Members
On 27/12/2016 at 5:27 AM, HappyChristian said:

My brother got us a new Notebook for Christmas. It has Windows 10 OS. Supposedly it will run faster than our 9 year old computer using outdated Vista. Alas, it does not. In fact, I can barely get it to get online. My brother did not purchase Office, so I assumed there would be Word Pad...and after hours of searching, I found it. sigh...could someone who has Windows 10 help me figure some things out about it? 

When I started on Linux in the last month.  The easiest thing I found was Installing my printer.  On windows I have to go on line to find a driver then install it which takes ages.  On Linux I switched my printer on and within a few minutes it had found it and installed a driver.  It is an HP 4620.  Thanks NN

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Invicta said:

When I started on Linux in the last month.  The easiest thing I found was Installing my printer.  On windows I have to go on line to find a driver then install it which takes ages.  On Linux I switched my printer on and within a few minutes it had found it and installed a driver.  It is an HP 4620.  Thanks NN

That's how mine got installed, too. Pretty neat, eh?

• Administrators
On 1/1/2017 at 11:30 AM, Invicta said:

Yea, Windows seems to complicate things sometimes. :42_confused:

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I read today that windows 10s will be released soon (maybe already) and that it will not allow a person to run any program that is not Microsoft store bought.  If this is true and I assume it is I run a lot of programs including Steam, that are not MS approved programs.  Is there another operating system that can be used on PC's that are not MS based?

• Members

I don't think it is MS store only, but there are restrictions on what can be run - Internet browsers for instance.

I read that you cannot (or at least it is really difficult) to make anything other than MS Edge your default browser.

They are certainly making it as hard as possible for people to use non MS approved stuff. But I think it is mostly browser and OS admin type stuff.

But W10s is not the "new" version for everything. As I understand it, it is the "cut down" Windows for use of tabs, phones, and low storage/low RAM machines.

Full Win10 stays basically the same as it is now. Not to say the next update or version won't go the same way in the future.

But in the end it is still more "open" than MAC, although they are trying to head that way.

Other operating systems?

Linux - talk to No Nics - he is our resident "expert", but keep in mind that Linux takes a bit of work to get going.

Nothing else really for the average guy - got to be a serious geek to even find info on other stuff, let alone get it running.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, DaveW said:

I read that you cannot (or at least it is really difficult) to make anything other than MS Edge your default browser.

They are certainly making it as hard as possible for people to use non MS approved stuff. But I think it is mostly browser and OS admin type stuff.

But W10s is not the "new" version for everything. As I understand it, it is the "cut down" Windows for use of tabs, phones, and low storage/low RAM machines.

Full Win10 stays basically the same as it is now. Not to say the next update or version won't go the same way in the future.

I just read another article on windows 10, and it reminded me I had made this post.  lol  

http://searchengineland.com/microsoft-says-no-to-other-browsers-248381

I am not in a position to purchase another computer nor am I tech savvy enough to truly understand the intricacies of these forced choices.  To me it just seems to be greed forcing people to pay for things that are free from many websites.  Kind of like the IPhone you pay an outrageous price for the phone then pay an outrageous price to use it.  I feel trapped by technology and want to just turn everything off but if I do I will have contact with hardly anyone.   

• Members

Hey Orval, that is one of the reasons I don't use Apple mac stuff - because they basically lock you in to getting everything through them.

They control their users by it.

As Microsoft head further that way I will likely migrate to something else, but choices are limited: the something else has to be either linux or a ported version of Android, but they both take tech knowledge at the moment.......

• Members

There are a couple of Android-based operating systems for desktops/laptops. I've tried them, and though they look sleek and modern, they're not quite perfect yet. 

Plus, it's all Android...not sure I'd trust it's security at this point...then again...I'm a bit paranoid about these types of things. LOL! 

• Members
52 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

There are a couple of Android-based operating systems for desktops/laptops. I've tried them, and though they look sleek and modern, they're not quite perfect yet. 

Plus, it's all Android...not sure I'd trust it's security at this point...then again...I'm a bit paranoid about these types of things. LOL! 

Yep, but we are still in reality limited to Win or Mac if you want a switch on and use machine.

The only other options are Linux and Android, and as you say Android is still relatively undeveloped - and it takes more than average computer skills to load it up.

From what I can see, Android is more difficult to set up initially, but then is reasonable once it is set up, while Linux is easier at the start, but you have to play whenever you want to add anything.

But Android also has a lot of stuff that is Phone/Tablet focused, and is a bit clunky on PC........

Still comes back to being trapped into either Win or Mac for the majority

As far as security is concerned, I wonder how something designed to attack a phone or tablet would go in a PC environment?.

And most of the "security software" companies offer Android cover now anyway - but can we trust them?

I wonder how much of the virus and malware stuff is actually leaked into the net by them to promote business?:15_1_63:

Or do I need to find a tinfoil hat about now?? :laugh:

• Members
6 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Or do I need to find a tinfoil hat about now?? :laugh:

That's your best bet my friend...

:laugh:

7 minutes ago, DaveW said:

But Android also has a lot of stuff that is Phone/Tablet focused, and is a bit clunky on PC........

In my testing of the Android operating systems for desktops/laptops, the clunkiness came through in some of the Android apps. For instance, I tried Netflix...it looked absolutely great on the laptop, but it wouldn't even play at all.

I didn't take the time to try to figure it out though. I did read that "some" of the apps may not render or work correctly on desktops/laptops. So...it may have been possible to work around it, but whether that's feasible or not...I don't know. I only tried them for about an hour and gave up. LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm actually running Windows 10 right now...

...in a Virtual box on Linux. :laugh:

I downloaded the Windows 10 .iso last night (from the Microsoft website) and installed it in the Virtual box today...all without having to provide a Product Key to activate it. During the installation, I just kept telling it that I didn't have one (Product key).

It's not illegal. By not having a Product key to activate it, it only limits some of the Settings to personalize the look...like changing the wallpaper or the colors. However, you can still change the wallpaper...you just can't do it through the Settings.

So...Windows 10 can actually be installed for free if you're willing to not be able to personalize it easily through the Settings. From all I've looked at, everything else works like it should.

I don't know how long this "free version" will last or if it will one day just stop working without activating it...one day, one month, one year, indefinitely? I don't know. They're still making money off the installation (without it being activated) by receiving data for marketing purposes.

No...I'm not giving up Linux. I was just having some fun. 

• Members

Okay folks...it's time for me to fess up.

Earlier today, I confessed a grievous sin to another member here privately...which is...

I have now done a full install of Windows 10 onto one of my computer's partitions. :4_6_100:

After playing around with it in Virtual Box on Linux, I liked it so much that I decided to install it. (Did I just say that?)

Oh yeah...I disabled everything I could to protect my privacy, but who knows what they're still getting from me? :laugh:

After mulling everything over, I decided that it would be wise to know the system first-hand rather than just being a "Windows 10 Linux Basher". So far, so good...other than having to download printer drivers...which Linux automatically picks up.

This is probably irrelevant, but what has surprised me the most was that they have a 32bit version available, and a lot of Linux systems are dropping 32bit support.   :4_12_2:

I had no idea that Windows still offered 32bit systems...

• Members
8 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

We tried to load Kaspersky security into my mom's new computer - Windows 10 wouldn't let us.

It appears that Kapersky has filed some type of complaint (a few days ago) against Microsoft. 

http://thehackernews.com/2017/06/kaspersky-microsoft-antitrust.html

This is the second day that I've been using Windows 10...it's installed but not activated. 

This wasn't on the screen yesterday; however today, this "friendly watermark" showed up on the desktop. :laugh:  It appears on every screen. The first picture is the desktop; it's easy to see in the lower right corner. It's not as apparent on the second screenshot of OB. Kind of irritating, but I guess that's part of the "price" for installing it for free. :laugh:

I won't bend to these strong-arm tactics!  :4_2_109v:  :laugh:

Screenshot (3).pngScreenshot (2).png