• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

windows 10

• Members

brother if you've got 8.1 you should get the download free, check your updates and you should find it there .when you install the update it will install a icon on your screen ,click on it and it will check your system to see if it is capable to run 10 If it is MS will send you the download. But if your computers older then two years you may won't to look into buying a new one, its sad the money we spend on these things they should be made to last longer then two years,

God bless brother

Windows 8 caused so many problems on this computer I had to go back to 7. This computer is a few years old so I'm passed due on needing a new one.

These companies create continuous sales by making sure each new product, update and such requires more power, more space and specific specifications to run properly, or at all. I don't know how those into the high end gaming manage. I've read that each popular new game requires so much more from the computer than the previous version, serious gamers have to buy new computers often in order to meet the system demands of their favorite games.

Even since the fiasco of trying to run this on Windows 8, I've had problems with Internet Explorer, so I downloaded Firefox. Oddly enough, Firefox works better for most things except for watching videos (if someone posts a YouTube video I often have to switch to IE in order to watch it). Yet for some reason, on what should be more simple tasks, IE will drag. Strange.

• Members

Windows 8 caused so many problems on this computer I had to go back to 7. This computer is a few years old so I'm passed due on needing a new one.

These companies create continuous sales by making sure each new product, update and such requires more power, more space and specific specifications to run properly, or at all. I don't know how those into the high end gaming manage. I've read that each popular new game requires so much more from the computer than the previous version, serious gamers have to buy new computers often in order to meet the system demands of their favorite games.

Even since the fiasco of trying to run this on Windows 8, I've had problems with Internet Explorer, so I downloaded Firefox. Oddly enough, Firefox works better for most things except for watching videos (if someone posts a YouTube video I often have to switch to IE in order to watch it). Yet for some reason, on what should be more simple tasks, IE will drag. Strange.

Got that brother, my wife's laptop is less than two years old and the CPU is going bad HP chose to solder the CPU in and not a snap in, my son Justin is Tech and he says it will 300.00 fix.

if you're having trouble with your media player open control and at the top you'll see security there a link to open tools,click on it and when the windows opens on the left top corner click "All" this will open a list of tools close to the bottom you see media library click to open when it opens at the bottom left corner check Repair ,click run. It will scan for troubles and repair them. If it can't it tell you what the problem is. It sounds like you may have a corrupt library .if this the case you'll need to reinstalled media player.there's a lot of other tools on the list you should run one is IE, it scan for problems and repair them . Also brother when you did the reinstall of win 7 IE may not have configured right. Which could also be causing some problems.if you try this and it don't work ill try and help you to reset IE and change it to Firefox,. If its not been changed..firefox has some very good tools that will resolve some problems as well.i hope this will get you going good.

God bless brother.

• Members

Thanks for all that info folk.

I had an invite to register to upgrade, but MS said not all Win 7 or 8 machines will be able to upgrade. I haven't tried yet.

i don't how long its been since you got this info but I read in PC mag.a couple weeks ago that MS has decided to give win 10 to everyone free. But its only the upgrade not a OEM , if you got the invite you should be able to get thto upgrade MS is sending a tool through your updates it will put a icon on your screen ,when you open it you run it to see if your system can run 10. Once its run the check it will send the info to MS and MS will send you the upgrade via updates when they send it a icon for the download will appear on your screen or your task bar. Click it and you're on your way.the upgrade is nice but I believe the OEM installed in the new computers will be far better it'll have a lot more then the upgrade has. Brother I hope this helped.

God Bless

Edited by EKSmith

• Members

MS has for years had hidden folders that collect you data , you would need to be a engineer to configure them to uninstall them but I have found out they don't like you to change their fire wall , I purchased ZoneLabs Business Fire wall for my office computers and MS tried changing back to theirs a few times conflicting with Zone Labs by trying to run the MS fire wall, I use Zone Labs on my personal computers which is free for non business uses and MS tried the same thing a few times, it appears that MS wants you to use the MS fire wall for some reason ? Makes you wonder what their up to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Reading discussions of this elsewhere on the internet and it's amazing how many people repeat the ignorant line, "I don't care, I have nothing to hide."

Most people today have no real concept at all about privacy or why it's important. They have no concept of the importance of keeping the government and others from invading our privacy. They fail to grasp the vast amount of power that is placed into the hands of government, corporations or evil-minded groups or individuals through the gathering of vast amounts of what should be private information.

So Joe and Jenny Public don't care if they are spied upon, all their internet browsing, shopping, texting, emails, entertainment habits, searches and all other things conducted online are monitored, stored and put to use by those gathering this information. Never mind their information could be used to steal their identity, bankrupt them, ruin their credit and damage their name. Never mind their habits and plans could be known in such detail someone with evil intent could know the perfect time to break into their home and rob them blind; or know when and where they could most easily assault Jenny; or kidnap their children; or run a scam on their elderly parents; or use them as unwitting mules; or how a rival could set them up to take a fall; or even for someone to find something in the midst of all their stuff they could use to blackmail them.

As bad as all that could be, imagine a government bent upon total control using these same methods upon millions across the country in order to have their way.

It's no about whether a person is doing anything they think needs to be hidden. It's not about liking to see ads which show up based upon companies monitoring your shopping habits. It's about far more, it's about the potential for great abuse and greater danger; danger that could come from multiple sources and directions and impact not just us as individuals, but our whole families, communities, nation.

• Members

I received an evaluation copy of Windows 10 pretty early on in the process (before it was officially announced).  I have been using it on my desktop for a little under a year now, and I've loved it (much better than Windows 8, and I think it is probably even better than Windows 7.)

However, the upgrade process has been nothing but a pain.  Ever since it was released, I have received numerous requests for help to fix problems that have come up.  If you are going to upgrade, make sure you back up all your information before you begin.  Also, I have been recommending using the media creator tool to create a flash drive and do a fresh installation instead of going through the upgrade process.  (This will wipe all your files and programs, so make sure you have backups before doing this.)  It seems like the computers with a fresh install are usually completely stable, and most of the ones that I have upgraded end up coming back in for problems within a week or two.

Most of the privacy issues are presented as options when you install it.  If you read through and turn all of the sharing off, then you shouldn't have too many issues.  If you just click next to be done with it, then it will share a lot of data.

• Members

I reserved my copy of Win 10.  I got a flash come up asking we if I wanted to upgrade now or later.  I selected later and backed up my data.

Sometime later I went to sleep with my laptop on my lap and when I woke up it was half way through updating.  I have not had any problems with it.  My data was intact and everything seems to work fine.  I don't like the new start menu though.  

• Members

Finally got the Windows 10 installed.

What a headache it was.  

I had tried at least 25 times over the last three and a half weeks using the following steps.

1.  Download Windows 10

2.  Try to install, ony to get one of two errors, 0x80070003 & 0x800700527 (which error I got of the two was random) each time.

3.  Run diagnostic tools recommended by Microsoft.

4.  Return to step 1.

I even used the Media Creator Tool and burned it to DVD, thinking that would work.  No success on that one either.

Early this morning, I decided to try a different approach.  I backed up my download, documents, music and video folders to an external hard drive.  Then, I put my Windows 7 CD in and reinstalled it.  Lost everything on the internal, but it was all backed up anyway.  

Having formatted my PC, and having installed a fresh Windows 7 OS, I tried once again to download Windows 10.  Microsoft said my PC was not even upgradeable, and therefore would not even download the upgrade!  LoL  This was strange, since the Windows 7 was upgradeable before I formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 using the same Windows 7 install CD that I previously had.

Then, I remembered the Windows 10 DVD I had made using the Media Creator Tool.  One last try. ...

The Windows 10 DVD worked with no problems.  So although Microsoft said my Windows 7 PC was not upgradeable just an hour earlier, it did upgrade to Windows 10 with the DVD.

i need a nap.  LoL

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Brethren,

I read a reliable article on how Microsoft is using updates to Windows 7 and 8 systems to install the spyware that they incorporated into Windows 10.

The primary two updates are: (1) KB3075249, and, (2) KB3080149.

Here is the article link: http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/computers/item/21455-microsoft-increases-secrecy-expands-spyware-to-windows-7-and-8

I am on the verge of changing over my computer system to Linux / Ubuntu. Anybody got any recommendations?

• Members

Jim-Alaska, Alan, and John81 ,I agree 100%.  While we are NOT doing "anything wrong", what if (and possibly in the very near future) a governmental decree declares it illegal to give a tract to someone or to try to witness to someone? (say they use words such as harrassment or some-such "hate crime" nonsense), it would then be illegal to mention the plan of salvation to others, and let's speculate that since they are tracking people, they notice in my posts anywhere on the internet I posted a bible verse pertaining to salvation. I would then be in legal trouble.  Don't think it CAN'T happen here, sadly, I believe it will. Obama has already stated that "fundamental Christians need to CHANGE their viewpoints regarding same sex marriages" (he doesn't CARE what the bible says and he doesn't CARE what God says, and he sure doesn't CARE what a minority of people who didn't vote for him say either), and so what if I tried to witness to an LGBT person?  In the near future there may be legal ramifications.  I think it's coming soon! While Christian values USED to play a big part in the way this country "did business" and made laws,  we are now in the minority.  Just look at the unconstitutional "laws" put into place by the current administration over the last several years.  Things we once thought we'd not see in our lifetimes are happening right before our eyes and not only are they given applause by the majority of Americans... some things are now laws! Did you or I get to vote on same sex marriage? No, it was decreed by APPOINTED judges who rule by international law now and not US precedence anymore. I'm sure those judges get their pockets filled as much as the other greedy politicians do. Even if we had gotten the opportunity to vote on such issues, since we are now a minority, I doubt the outcome would have been much different.   You may think I am being an "alarmist", yet I think there are quite a lot of things we should get alarmed about. 

Don't get me wrong... I do hold to the pre-trib rapture of the church (bride/saved), and I know we are not appointed to wrath. I know we are not going to go through THE tribulation (Jacob's trouble), but I do know in life we will have tribulation (Romans 5:3 et al) and I cannot speculate just how much we will have to go through before He comes in the clouds for us.  We've enjoyed a relatively nice long period of no persecution towards us for our belief.  Now that our country doesn't stand with Israel (even though many of us personally do) I wonder if that blessing we formerly enjoyed will become a curse? Yes, I do believe things are going to get bad here... I don't know how bad, I'm not going to stock up on food, etc. because I trust God to see me through, and I know He will never leave me nor forsake me (as Hebrews 13:5 teaches).  But to think things CAN'T get bad here as far as persecution on Christians, would be sticking your head in the sand.