• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance

• Members

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

The above is an interesting verse.  In it, we see the words "repent" and " turn".  Both words are translated from the same Hebrews word, "shuwb". 

God told the Israelites that they needed to turn from their transgressions. 

2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

1 Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

In the New Testament, is it any different?  Paul told the Corinthians to "Come out from amongst them and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and I will receive you..."  To the Thessalonikan's he wrote of how he had heard of their turning to God and from idols to serve the living God.

Seems to me repentance was the same after the cross as it was before.  It involved a turning away from sin and turning toward God.

• Members

Unfortunately repentance has been watered down to simply be turning from sin to God. SFIC, I would love for you to clarify further. Repentance always has to have a realization that you are sinning and then must have confession  of that sin and then turn from it. Romans 10 clearly states that with the mouth we make confession. 

What do you mean by turning from sin to God 

• Members

Hi PastorJ,

It is my contention that unless one knows one is sinning, one will not turn from that sin.

So, yes, one does need to know that he is a sinner.  But knowing one is a sinner is not repentance.  Repentance is an act.  It is the turning from sin, as Ezekiel and other verses clearly demonstrate.

Yes, one should confess his sin before a Holy God.  No doubt.  But again, I do not see that as repentance.  Rather, confession is a result of repentance. 

Knowing leads to repentance.  Repentance leads to confession.  You will not turn from sin if you don't see it as sin.  You will not confess that sin to God unless you turn from that sin and to God.

Hope that helps.

• Members

I can understand the need for clarification on the matter. It's a shame such is necessary, the true meaning of repentance was once commonly taught and understood. Today repentance is often tossed around as a nearly meaningless term. Even when it's brought up that one needs to turn from sin to God, it's viewed as meaning they should stop doing really bad things. Often followed by someone leading them in a near meaningless "sinners prayer", of which the one doing the repeating has no actual understanding of what they are saying, or what it's supposed to mean, other than something akin to an incantation which they believe might get them into heaven.

People need to know what sin is, why sin is horrible and needs to be repented of (and what true repentance means), why they need a Saviour, what it actually means to be born again.

Too many folks are walking around out there who have been presented a watered down, cheapened "call to God", have said the "magic words" (a generic, simplistic "sinners prayer"), been told they are saved and going to heaven, and yet nothing in or about their lives has changed.

Contrast that to the examples in Scripture of those truly born again. They had an immediate, obvious change, were baptized (usually right then) and began living as new creatures in Christ. They truly repented and it was immediately evident.