• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

UK Visitor

• Moderators

I'm going to be hosting a university student for a few weeks in August while she is studying in Canada. This is a first time for me, and I'm trying to figure out how best to be a good host. My visitor is from Liverpool. I was wondering if any of y'all from the UK could give me any hints as to... I don't know... what you would like to experience if you were visiting Western Canada, or any things that would help make a visit seem homey to you (must have English muffins in stock, or something like that). Any ideas?

• Members

I'd like to visit my cousin.  

Actually I have seen a magazine in the doctor's waiting room Beautiful British Columbia and always thought I would like to see it. That was in the days when they had mags in the waiting rooms before they were considered unhygienic.

However, I don't know what a Scouser would like. I think they would miss the Mersey.

I don't know if they have muffins in Liverpool, we don't have them much here in the south east.  I  think they are more likely to have jam butties, but I may be wrong.  (I usually am.)

• Moderators

That was in the days when they had mags in the waiting rooms before they were considered unhygienic.

Seriously?? What do they have instead? We still have magazines in waiting rooms - except for really fancy places that run a TV instead. But I think that's because they're trying to be upscale.

She's going to the mountains after she stays at my place, so I won't need to take her there. I was thinking of seeing if she was interested in going to Elk Island Park and seeing the bison. Hmm... maybe the Badlands too. Do they have Badlands in England? :wink 

I hope she doesn't want to be treated to "England in Canada" - chips and pies, etc. But is tea available there?

Haha... yes. :frog:  I've even got an infuser for looseleaf. Hmm.. maybe I should pick up some fresh stuff, though. My tea stock's a bit on the old side.

• Members

Seriously?? What do they have instead? We still have magazines in waiting rooms - except for really fancy places that run a TV instead. But I think that's because they're trying to be upscale.

They don't have anything, you just sit there looking at every one else.

You are not allowed to take flowers into hospital either.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

If I was visiting Canada, I'd expect my host to take me to see:

• Moose
  • Wolf
  • Beaver
  • Brown bear
  • Polar bear
  • Mountie
  • Eskimo
  • Quebec
  • Top of Toronto Tower
  • Top of Mount Logan
  • Ice hockey game
  • Northwest passage
  • Niagara Falls
  • Northern Lights
  • Rocky Mountains

Possibly in that order.

That's a pretty tall order Alimantado. To do that she would have to travel the breath of Canada, from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

• Members

If I was visiting Canada, I'd expect my host to take me to see:

• Moose
  • Wolf
  • Beaver
  • Brown bear
  • Polar bear
  • Mountie
  • Eskimo
  • Quebec
  • Top of Toronto Tower
  • Top of Mount Logan
  • Ice hockey game
  • Northwest passage
  • Niagara Falls
  • Northern Lights
  • Rocky Mountains

Possibly in that order.

and Salyan has internet, so she can show her all those from the comfort of her own living room.  RoFL

• Members

My daughter has been taking French students since last year.  Most don't seem to know what the want except to be with other French students.  The lad she had last week left at 5.00 am on Saturday.  The new one arrived just after midnight.  So m,y daughter was up from 4.00 am till 2.00 am.  The first question the new student, a young lady, asked was "Where is the nearest Polo Club.?"

Edited by Invicta
spelling

• Members

I hope she doesn't want to be treated to "England in Canada" - chips and pies, etc. But is tea available there?

Treat her so she enjoys Canada - forests and mountains, and local food. 

And don't expect her to understand dispensation theology. 

My Grandparents were from Canada.  My Grandmother drank nothing but tea.  Everyone else drank coffee except her and her sister. 

and Salyan has internet, so she can show her all those from the comfort of her own living room.  RoFL

Your list is making me lol.  Canada is way different from the USA that's my opinion the only foreign country I have ever been too.  It was a long time ago in eastern Canada long stretches of road with a Crown on the highway signs.  Fish and chip places in homes converted to restaurants.  Foggy to as I recall.  Great fishing.  Its sort of a staid country. The people aren't very excitable in my opinion.  I really like it.  I'd like to go to England myself.  I like the way they communicate with such accuracy and are so understandable.  I really like listening to Englanders talk.   Also I think it would be great to have Royalty they must really love that.  I really like the UK Monarchy.  I had a Canadian Christian come and live with me and he visited all around Atlanta to Christian colleges and making friends. 

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

The trouble with European royalty is that they have had centuries of inbreeding.  The British Royal Family are German.  George 1 and George 2 didn't speak English. The Norman Kings spoke French, sort of.  Until Cromwell in the 1640s English Law was conducted in French and Latin.