• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

James W knox?

• Members

hey all, so i stumbled across an instagram post talking about Bro Knox. I dont know much about him? the comments were solid, can someone give me some insight into his theology? kinda stinks that there isnt much of him online I could find without buying his books or ordering mp3s, even his doctrine statement just refers to his books you need to buy... kinda uncool lol anyway. just wanted to ask yall.

• Members

I have several of his commentaries and have watched some sermons on YouTube.  I believe he is solid.  The church he pastors has a strong emphasis on street preaching and reaching the lost.

• Members

James W. Knox is solid...however, he does teach the Gap Theory/Fact (whatever they are calling it now).

Gap Theory/Fact teaches that there is a "gap" between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2

Edited by LindaR

• Members

......... Always something, well there goes that one. Thanks!

That's actually a good, broad point. No matter who the pastor, preacher or Christian in general, there will typically be "always something" which we disagree with, a view they hold which is (or seems to us to be) not in line with Scripture, they are too harsh in some way, too weak on certain points, may hold a slightly (or greatly) different end times view, may be too open minded on some unclear issue (such as some finer points regarding the end times), or in some cases have differing views or opinions on things not directly in Scripture (such as a point regarding sports or politics or science fiction), etc.

We are all human, we are all flawed, we all lack full understanding, we all have finite minds.

Some folks hop from church to church (or some refuse to attend church) because they can't find a perfect pastor (meaning one which holds to exactly the same views on every point they do).

This is just a general observation and has nothing directly to do with Knox or anyone here at OB. It just seemed like a good place to bring this up.

• Members

I would not throw him out because he believes in the Genesis Gap.  He does not teach evolution of any type.  His commentary on Genesis tells you what he believes and what scripture he uses to support those beliefs.  

I would at least listen to some sermons before making a decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

James Knox's message on Santa Claus is a must listen.  Best message on Santa Claus I've heard:

Thank you for the post, I would have liked to had this to give to some folks 15 years ago when I was attack by parents and two SB youth pastors for teaching the youth about this lie, there was a kind of battle between a SB youth pastor he had visited with me several times warning me not to try a take his youth for his church, I never was trying to, it was the youth for our church doing that, in the end God healed some of those harden hearts an we won some of the entertained SB youth to ministry whom later became disciples for our Lord Jesus.

I know that brother Knox supports the gap stuff ,I don't know much about it and don't really care to,but brother Knox is a very strong Pastor and soul winner I've seen some videos of his and think others should see or listen to your post before judging him on one thing they disagree with.

God bless Sister

• Members

I know it's not right but I just can't. For me there are just deal breakers and genesis is one of them. Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

I'm with you on this one because it reveals an enormous amount about what they believe about the Bible in general and what takes authoritative precedence. After a proper understanding of the Gospel/Salvation/Jesus, Genesis is my next big test issue when examining a pastor and/or church. If they compromise there, it shows that they allow something other than Scripture to be the final authority and it undermines their ability to uphold the full force of the Gospel message. because it all goes back to Gen 1-11.

• Moderators

I would not throw him out because he believes in the Genesis Gap.  He does not teach evolution of any type.  His commentary on Genesis tells you what he believes and what scripture he uses to support those beliefs.  

I would at least listen to some sermons before making a decision.

The problem is that the Gap theory is not just a misunderstanding of creation history. It places death before sin, and by doing so contradicts God's statement of history (i.e. calls God a liar) and completely distorts redemption. Christ is our Kinsman-Redeemer. He was born a man so, being man, He could take our place. Why? Because by man came sin (and death). The Gap theory states that death existed before sin. If death existed before sin, then death is not the punishment for sin. If there is no punishment for sin, there is no need for a Redeemer. It just completely messes up everything that God says is so. Let God be true, and every man a liar.

1 Corinthians 15:21-22
 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Romans 15:12-19Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

• Members

I don't think you have a proper understand of Brother Knox's teaching on the Genesis Gap.  He does not teach evolution and he does not teach death before the sin of Adam and Eve.

From reading his commentary on Genesis I will attempt to summarize what he teaches. 

In Gen 1:1 The original Heaven and earth are created.

The reason for the earth being without form and void and covered in water are the after effects of the flood mentioned in 2 Peter 3 which not only flooded the earth but also the heavens.  2 Peter 3:7 says the heavens and earth that are now are not same as before.

His commentary says that what we read in Job 22 describes Satan(the mighty man) living on the earth, the earth being flooded, and consumed by fire.  He says that just because it says "men" it could be angels because angels are referred to as men in the bible.  

He says Satan's fall and sin would have therefore been before the creation of Adam.  

He does not dispute a literal 24 hour 7 day creation in what Gen1:5 and on.  

• Moderators

Okay, so he has his own version of the Gap. Fair enough. Thank you for the clarification. :)

Occam's Razor states that the simplest explanation is likely to be the correct one. The Bible talks a lot about a flood - Noah's flood - which is the simplest and generally accepted explanation of what is referenced in 2 Peter 3. There are a couple of different ways to understand verse 7 without making up a whole 'nother flood. (And, seriously? A flood that encompasses the heavens?) The simpler explanation is that a) the heavens are different because the firmament of waters is no longer in place or b ) 'which are now' is a statement of current existence and not meant to imply a previous change. 

This fellow has an awful lot of imagination to try to make something fit that doesn't need to be there. I agree with Jordan - anyone who feels the need to play around with the simple reading of Genesis isn't worth listening to.

• Members

The firmament is still in place.  I was taught that an "ice canopy" of some kind was the firmament that surrounded the earth and crashed during the flood.  I have no issue with a "canopy" of sorts because the earth was obviously very different before the flood just based off of life spans of humans.  I do have a problem with it being called the firmament though.

Genesis 1:14-17 says the sun moon and stars are in the firmament.  Obviously the sun, moon, and stars are not in the earth's atmosphere or anywhere near it.

Ezekiel 1 describes creatures that go up and are just under the firmament.  They hear a voice from above thefirmament.  Above the firmament is a throne with someone that had the likeness of a man sitting on it and it describes the throne area.  The description goes hand in hand with the description of the Third Heaven in Rev 4.  Which also mentions a crystal sea...