• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Writing a commentary

• Members

Well I have had it in my heart for a while to write a commentary/exposition on Song of Solomon.

I spent an hour on it tonight, I got the introduction and up to 1:2 done. It is going to take me quite a while.

I ask that you pray that God would bless this work, I have no idea why God put it in my heart to write this, and it is my hope to maybe get in into print or even e-book format. I just want people to be pointed to Jesus Christ by this!

• Members

Here is a preview:

Song of Solomon 1:1 The song of songs, which is Solomon's.

We see here, that this is not only a song, but it is the song OF SONGS. This is similar to idea of the Hebrew idiom “Holy of Holies” or the most holy place. What could be a greater song than the song one sings from a heart that has had sin cleansed from it by the precious blood of our Lord Jesus Christ? Consider some other scriptures:

Psalm 33:1-3 Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright. Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Psalm 149:1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

What a Song the believer who is in communion with the Lord Jesus Christ has! We have much to sing about as believers: forgiveness of sins! A promised state of future glorification! Access to the throne of grace by prayer! The list could go on and on. As believers we have so much to sing about, and we should be a singing people. I would encourage you to make it a habit of singing hymns to the Lord often. The singing of songs to the Lord is something that every believer has the privilege and command of doing. I cannot tell how many times my own weary heart was lifted to the heavenlies by the singing of some familiar hymn.

Ephesians_5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Colossians_3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Contrast the song we as believers have with the songs of the world. This world has nothing to sing about except that which is vain and meaningless. They sing of their lust, and their sensuality, and they seem to have so much enjoyment. It is interesting to note the placement of Song of Solomon in our bibles as being right after Ecclesiastes. Consider Ecclesiastes 2:1-11:

I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity. I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it? I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life. I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits: I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees: I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts. So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me. And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour. Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

See also Psalm 73.

The unbelievers live in their idolatry, their fornication, their deceit, and they have their fill of the sinful pleasures of this world, and they sing about it too, but all that they have leaves them empty and unsatisfied, and eventually drags their soul to hell. My friend, you who were once in bondage to sin, with no help in this world, are redeemed! Do you remember that pains of sin? Do you remember the darkness that filled your soul? The anxiety? The fear of hell? You are now saved! Jesus has deliverd you! You are now no longer under condemnation! Surely we who have riches in Christ have a far better reason to sing! So sing to the Lord and worship God in song dear believer! 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Wow! Amen brother!

I am glad you brought out the the Song of Solomon immediately after Ecclesiastes and the difference between Ecclesiastes and the Song of Solomon.

Please continue your efforts.

• 2 weeks later...