• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is preaching

• Members

What many preachers don't realize is this...if they would preach expositionally (is that a word?) through the Bible, they would be amazed at how many "topics" are covered by going verse-by-verse.

is sort of expository topical.

Or what I like to call "expopical".  :D

I agree with what you said Mike. Again, I do believe that one-time topical sermons have their place. On the other hand, if a preacher is going to preach topical, at least periodically spend several weeks (or months) covering the topic thoroughly.

Speaking of which...how many times have we heard a preacher say something to the effect of, "I've been so busy...I've gotta find a sermon to preach for this Sunday!" Expository preaching doesn't have that problem. :nuts: 

• Members

Thanks everyone. I was an expository preacher. After visiting over 50 churches in my area, almost every preacher is just yelling their opinions and I have rarely opened my bible after the initial verse.

I believe that preaching is to expose the word of God and allow the holy spirit to work in the lives of those listening. One preacher actually jumped up on the communion table and broke the glass.  Everyone laughed and praised the Lord. 

Another preacher yelled about old time religion for 45 minutes, but never opened the bible.  A third preacher preached a message entitled amazing grace according to Isaac newton. He preached out of the hymnal. 

What shocks me is that the people actually enjoyed those messages. Had Christianity gotten this shallow? 

• Members

Yes, unfortunately much of Christianity in America is very shallow. It's not just those in the "seeker friendly" sort of churches who are shallow, there are plenty in what passes for the more fundamental and conservative type churches too.

Many folks go to these churches to hear rousing sermons that stir them up, make them shout and feel like they really got something that day. Sadly, all they got was their ears tickled and their emotions stirred.

The only real difference between those in the supposed fundamental type churches and the seeker friendly ones is a matter of style and how they like their ears tickled and emotions stirred.

I visited a church a few years ago and the preacher read a bit of Scripture, closed his Bible, started walking around and began telling stories and weaving tails to which the congregation gave many shouts of "amen". After about an hour of this he got back to the verses he read, made a tacit attempt to tie that to his story time and the sermon was over to many more adoring shouts. The pastors sermon actually reminded me more of something Jerry Clower might have said on stage than something to be preached in church.

• Members

Strange the differences in perception I had in this thread, I figured PastorJ's complaint would be expository teaching instead of preaching.

Nothing wrong with expository preaching as long as it is preaching and not teaching. IE, the purpose of the sermon is action on the part of the congregation. If it is simply a lecture on a passage to provide information, save it for Sunday School or Wed Bible Study. You are not preaching the Word with a lecture. Only the foolishness of preaching accomplishes reproving, rebuking and exhorting with all long-suffering and doctrine.

Weren't the pharisees expert expositors? :)

• Members

The Pharisees were expert at preaching and promoting their own rules for how they believed everyone should live.

If a pastor preaches through a book of the Bible, each verse is read and those needing some explaining, expounding upon, are addressed. Practical application of how these verses are to be lived and used is presented. This would include how we should live our lives in a godly manner, share Christ, spend time in prayer, live in accord with our spouse, instruct our children, determine what is good and what should be avoided, etc., depending upon the text covered. 

Our pastor preaches through the Bible. He also teaches an adult Sunday school class. While there can be some overlap, his preaching sermon and class teaching are not identical in method. From the sermon on say Ephesians, the congregation will get a good overview of the whole book, key points will be expounded upon, practical application put forth, etc.; from the Sunday school teaching verses can be examined in more depth, questions can be asked, practical experiences in living can be discussed, history and context of passages can be examined if needed, etc.

The worst example of expository preaching (if one could really call it that) I've ever experienced was in a Methodist church many years ago. That preacher dryly and in low volume, read from the Bible. A couple times he made some dry sentence or two comment, but then went right back to dryly and quietly reading from the Bible. Then he woke the congregation by speaking a little louder that he was finished.

• Members

Strange the differences in perception I had in this thread, I figured PastorJ's complaint would be expository teaching instead of preaching.

Nothing wrong with expository preaching as long as it is preaching and not teaching. IE, the purpose of the sermon is action on the part of the congregation. If it is simply a lecture on a passage to provide information, save it for Sunday School or Wed Bible Study. You are not preaching the Word with a lecture. Only the foolishness of preaching accomplishes reproving, rebuking and exhorting with all long-suffering and doctrine.

Weren't the pharisees expert expositors? :)

I could be wrong, but I think the complaint (if that's the correct word to use) is one of sermon substance or lack thereof.