• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is preaching

• Members

I could be wrong, but I think the complaint (if that's the correct word to use) is one of sermon substance or lack thereof.

That would seem to be the biggest problem whatever form a preacher uses. In my own experience, I've encountered far more preachers who would call themselves topical preachers, who lack substance than expository preachers.

If a pastor preaches in a true expository manner there almost has to be some substance to the sermon.

What I've encountered with many topical preachers is what was mentioned earlier, that they decide upon something they want to preach on, turn to a concordance to find some Scripture that might back up what they want to say, and then speak on their topic. I've heard many political sermons, pet peeve sermons, ear ticking, preaching to the choir sermons, and such using this method.

It's difficult to preach through a book of the Bible and not address what's actually there. That's why preachers who want to focus on certain things or preach most of their messages in a certain area, tend towards what they call topical preaching, where some often take one or a few verses out of context as their supposed sermon text and then proceed to preach about Hillary Clinton or Jeb Bush or supposed signs of Christ return from the Pluto pictures and like things.

That's not to disparage all topical preachers because there are some who biblically research an actual topic, such as adultery for example, gathering all relevant verses and passages, taking note of context and the overall message of Scripture on the matter, and then preach a sound, substantive sermon (or series of sermons) on the topic.

What's better: a substantive thirty minute sermon on some verses from Matthew 5 or an hour long sermon on why the preacher likes Mike Huckabee?

• Members

At the risk of offending fellow Christians and preachers...which isn't my intention...I will try to explain what I meant by the "exposition" of God's word.

First, the definition of exposition...

1. the act of expounding, setting forth, or explaining:
  2. writing or speech primarily intended to convey information or to explain; a detailed statement or explanation

A good example of exposition from scripture is...

Nehemiah 8:8
So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

To me, true biblical preaching will explain God's word to the hearers; it will convey what God's word says so that it makes sense, and it will help people to understand God's word. However, to do so requires tremendous study on the part of the preacher. He must take into account context, he must compare scripture with scripture, he must be able to apply application, he must be able to rightly divide, he must know historical references, and the list goes on. In other words...he must STUDY!

When Paul told Timothy to "preach the word", that's what Timothy was to do...preach THE WORD. My opinion is that this is best done through expository preaching...verse-by-verse. Preach a book of the Bible, start at chapter 1; verse 1, and go through to the end of the book. The preacher may only cover one verse in a sermon, or he may cover several verses in a sermon.

What I see more of though is this...

1. a preacher has an idea for a sermon
  2. he scours the Bible to find a passage that mentions what he wants to preach on
  3. he reads the text he has found at the beginning of the sermon (often taking it out of context)
  4. he spends the majority of the rest of the time telling life stories and personal examples rather than expounding on that text

In other words, "Topical" sermons are the norm in most churches. Also, what I see more of is this...the sermon has become a form of entertainment. The preacher has become a showman...putting on a show for the hearers. 

The other day, I was listening to a sermon on a local station that's fundamental, and everyday at 2:00 they play a "great sermon from the past" by "great preachers of the past". That day, I started listening a little late, so I don't know who the preacher was. I listened to that sermon for 20 minutes before I turned it off. The entire time I listened, all the man "preached" about was when he rode horses and helped herd cattle...not one verse mentioned, not one mention of Jesus Christ, not one mention of God, not one mention of biblical application, not one mention of anything spiritual...just his cowboy stories...for 20 minutes! He was getting "amens" from the crowd the whole time.

I've sat through similar sermons. Entertaining, bombastic sermons delivered by an entertaining, bombastic preachers...and I was entertained. The pastor should be the main teacher of the church, but many neglect that God-given responsibility. I had a pastor once (fairly well-known) who even got on a roll during one sermon and proclaimed that it wasn't his job to "feed" us...we were supposed to feed ourselves. Well, everyone was caught up in the hype of the sermon, and he got a good round of "amens" when he said it, but all I could think was how un-biblical that statement was. 

Now, with that said, I'm not completely opposed to topical sermons; they certainly have their place. However, if God's people are to grow, they need to be taught God's word.

I know that many of today's churches wouldn't like a preacher who goes verse-by-verse, but I truly believe that's what they need. Sure, things may happen that require a topical sermon at times, but for the most part, people need to hear the word...they need to hear it explained...so that it makes sense...so that they can understand. Preach the word!

What many preachers don't realize is this...if they would preach expositionally (is that a word?) through the Bible, they would be amazed at how many "topics" are covered by going verse-by-verse.

You said that you want to know what people want in preaching...I don't care about a man's entertaining delivery, his charisma, or his personality. What I care about is has the man studied God's word, and can he explain it so that it makes sense and can be understood.

Now, all of this is my opinion...so take is as such. :)

I don't think it could be better explained than what you said NN.

Amen!

• Moderators

One issue that can come up in purely expository preaching, is something I noticed yesterday when I began an expository sermon on 1Cor 1: Even in the short amount I got through, (vs 1-23), is that it covered two topics. Not that the two weren't connected, but from a topical perspective, I could have broken it up into two messages. In fact, I sort of did, though I showed how, contextually, they were connected.  But the two primary topics from those verses were: 1-the need for the local churches, and ultimately (per John 17:20-23) ALL believers, to be joined together, in true unity and judgment, (of course, in unity of truth in all ways), and 2-the primacy of the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ and Him crucified over even baptism, (take that, Catholics!). Yes, they weave together, but it is also two clear subject on their own, as well.  So the difficulty in such a thing is properly giving it so the church has something to remember AND act upon, without losing them to too many main issues to contemplate upon.  Now, you may think, 'Well, a believer can easily remember two things' but its not always the case. 

However, we went over them all, even looking at other scripture that agreed, particularly in the area of church unity, using the magnificently joined together walls in Machu Picchu as a visual example of what we are speaking of, and it went very well.

But then, of course, I COULD do expository preaching, while breaking the chapter into its parts, but at the end of the day, wouldn't that STILL be topical preaching?  See, when I do topical sermons, I do basically what I did in my expository sermon yesterday: I explained first why Paul spent some time at the start ensuring the Corinthian believers that Paul was certain of their salvation, before beginning to address their errors, (because, like so many, when you need to address error, many get defensive and believe that you are calling them unsaved, which as we know, isn't the truth), and then I covered all the verses concerning the importance of a church being in one accord, going to numerous other passages in the Bible, not only to back up that fact, but WHY our unity is important, (in John 17, Jesus twice gives the reason for unity in truth as "that the world may believe that thou hast sent me").

See, I know there are those who give a verse, then jump about and tell stories for 45 minute, then move back to the verses and close, like Garrison Kellior used to do in his stories on Prairie Home Companion, but just because some do it wrong doesn't disqualify the method if done correctly. The Epistles are written as they are because, well, they were epistles. You don't generally write a letter about one topic, especially in a time when the letter was the only way to get information to another, and it could be a deadly journey getting it there: no, you dealt with as much as possible. It doesn't mean the only proper way to teach is to read it verbatim, start to finish, like reading a letter, and make some comments about it, or expand some. Yes it IS a valid way to teach and preach, but not the only way. 

• Members

Since I am not a pastor and don't regularly fill a pulpit, when I do preach I end up preaching a topical type message, but I often do a lot of exposition of the verses and passages I refer to. 

If I had a position where I regularly filled a pulpit I would most certainly exposit my way through books, but right now I have more a of a topical expository style. if that makes sense.

• Moderators

Since I am not a pastor and don't regularly fill a pulpit, when I do preach I end up preaching a topical type message, but I often do a lot of exposition of the verses and passages I refer to. 

If I had a position where I regularly filled a pulpit I would most certainly exposit my way through books, but right now I have more a of a topical expository style. if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. Topic sermons are perfect for once-in-a-while preaching, while expository serves more for long-term.

• Members

Whether one preaches topically, textually or expository preaching is up to the preacher. I would not say that any of these styles are bad.

Topical preaching is very difficult since you are typically taking verses from a number of places and trying to pull them together. The danger in this method is that preachers often take verses out of context and use passages that are teaching something totally different. In all the churches, this has been the most common method. Read a verse and then tell stories about the verse or about 1 word in the verse. Good topical preaching will take the points from the verse and then add other passages. I was taught in college that Illustrations illustrate. Unfortunately, it seems like illustrations have become the focal point.

Textual preaching is to take a passage and preach through the passage. This brings context, but isn't as tedious as Expository. If used effectively, it can also be much more topical. Textual is where you will take a passage and preach through the verses. They will often bring other verses in, but their points are based on the passage, not made up by key words, like typical topical preaching.

Expository is often confused with "Teaching" as it is typically a verse by verse "exposing" the word of God. The difference between teaching and preaching is the call to action.

I enjoy a good mixture of textual and Expository.

The problem I have experienced in North Carolina is that so far over 100 different pastors are not preaching in their churches. They are yelling, telling stories, and doing anything but preaching. Big name preachers included. It is story time with Bro. ###.

Jonathan Edwards was a great preacher who read his sermon in a monotone voice. I enjoy preachers who are excited about the Word of God. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Word of God preached in any of these churches. I have heard men yell about the Word of God, but there has been no preaching.

The scary thing is that the people love what they hear. It tells me that they have no idea what Preaching is.

Ukelemike,
No criticism meant, just a recommendation. In expository preaching, 23 verses is far more than you would typically go. That would be more like a textual message. In either case since I didn't hear the message. If a passage has 2 messages and you are preaching textually or expositorially, you can stop after the first. There are many times, I took a passage that was often preached as 1 message and broke it up into multiple sermons. It's the beauty of preaching textually or expositorially.

We are going to church number 53 in the Statesville, NC area. if anyone wants to come start a church, let me know. The church we are still members of may just keep us via TV as they have an online service. It's a shame that the Bible belt no longer preaches the Bible. 2 Cities, same experience. I spoke with a friend in another part of North Carolina and they have the same experience.

I am looking for a new job so I can move my family to an area with a good church.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Whether one preaches topically, textually or expository preaching is up to the preacher. I would not say that any of these styles are bad.

Topical preaching is very difficult since you are typically taking verses from a number of places and trying to pull them together. The danger in this method is that preachers often take verses out of context and use passages that are teaching something totally different. In all the churches, this has been the most common method. Read a verse and then tell stories about the verse or about 1 word in the verse. Good topical preaching will take the points from the verse and then add other passages. I was taught in college that Illustrations illustrate. Unfortunately, it seems like illustrations have become the focal point.

Textual preaching is to take a passage and preach through the passage. This brings context, but isn't as tedious as Expository. If used effectively, it can also be much more topical. Textual is where you will take a passage and preach through the verses. They will often bring other verses in, but their points are based on the passage, not made up by key words, like typical topical preaching.    Good example of this, and how it can be misused, and confuse many if they aren't willing to check the verses used, in their context: I have been going through Revelation in my evening services, and was in Ch 20 last week. When we read over Satan being bound and cast into the bottomless pit, I decided to show them how the 7th Day Adventists believe, (since we have many in our area), how that they teach the pit is actually a ruined, uninhabited earth, while all those still alive are in Heaven for the 1000 years of Jesus' reign. Some of the verses they use to prove a ruined earth are from Jeremiah 4:23-27, I believe, which describe an empty, ruined land. and they say., See, here is the earth after the wrath of God falls-everyone wicked is dead, all have been resurrected and are in heaven." The problem is, in context, this is nothing but Israel after God's judgment falls on them at the hand of the Assyrians. So they pull verses completely out of their transparent context, to make them fit their theory. It can be dangerous, which is why I always teach my folks not to even take what I say as absolute and to use their Bibles to make sure I am correct.

Expository is often confused with "Teaching" as it is typically a verse by verse "exposing" the word of God. The difference between teaching and preaching is the call to action.

I enjoy a good mixture of textual and Expository.

The problem I have experienced in North Carolina is that so far over 100 different pastors are not preaching in their churches. They are yelling, telling stories, and doing anything but preaching. Big name preachers included. It is story time with Bro. ###.

Jonathan Edwards was a great preacher who read his sermon in a monotone voice. I enjoy preachers who are excited about the Word of God. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Word of God preached in any of these churches. I have heard men yell about the Word of God, but there has been no preaching.

The scary thing is that the people love what they hear. It tells me that they have no idea what Preaching is.

Ukelemike,
No criticism meant, just a recommendation. In expository preaching, 23 verses is far more than you would typically go. That would be more like a textual message. In either case since I didn't hear the message. If a passage has 2 messages and you are preaching textually or expositorially, you can stop after the first. There are many times, I took a passage that was often preached as 1 message and broke it up into multiple sermons. It's the beauty of preaching textually or expositorially. No offense taken, brother. I never concerned myself terribly over names like expository, topical, textual, etc. I just try to teach the Bible, and sometimes I do it one way, sometimes another, as I feel led of the Lord. There have been times I intended to go over an entire chapter, but when I began, it led me somewhere and off we went, still on the subject, but going through scripture where, suddenly, things fitting the context just jumped into my mind, and I never get past a couple verses in that passage, though we read lots of scripture. Ever notice that? How y9u will study up one way, then it seems the Lord just opens your brain to a bunch of stuff you never even considered in preparation?  

We are going to church number 53 in the Statesville, NC area. if anyone wants to come start a church, let me know. The church we are still members of may just keep us via TV as they have an online service. It's a shame that the Bible belt no longer preaches the Bible. 2 Cities, same experience. I spoke with a friend in another part of North Carolina and they have the same experience.

I am looking for a new job so I can move my family to an area with a good church. I would invite you here, but I would not wish Herlong on anyone that God doesn't call them to specifically. I love it, but I was called here. I have a good friend in SC, and he says his worst year ever was spent here in Herlong-for many reasons, not just the area. Though he did come spend four days here recently.

• 3 years later...
  • Administrators

Topical, textual, expository, they are all good in their place. Personally I don't think that any one method should preclude another. Some posters here have tried to make bold distinctions between the three methods and even asserted that one type would and should exclude others. I am not of this mindset. I am of the mindset that all three can and should always be focused in a teaching environment. I do know that this is not a popular or even accepted idea of what is normally believed, but I also know from personal experience that if you are not teaching, your people will be weak in doctrine.

My first missionary pastor was old school and taught his people from the very beginning in such a way that many became well able to go on to teach and preach the faith once delivered to the Saints, as outlined In Jude:1:3.

Many times in our services a doctrinal issue is spoken of, but not elaborated on either within the sermon or at other times when it can be taught as a stand alone lesson. For instance, in the course of a sermon you may hear the preacher mention doctrines like; The trinity, the security of the believer, the deity of Christ, Salvation by grace, predestination, election, or the local church. But if these things are not explained, we have not properly grounded our members. It is not enough to simply believe what we hear; we must prove it by God’s Word, this requires teaching. 

So, is there a remedy and if there is, what is it? The answer is yes there is a remedy; unfortunately the remedy is conditional in many cases. It is conditional simply because of the number of churches that have fallen prey to worldly devices, weak teaching institutions and the sheer number of new preachers that have been educated in an environment that focuses on all the wrong things. i.e. Easy believizm, a prosperity Gospel, feel good theology, contemporary Christian music and a drawing away from our historical, spiritual roots.

Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. If we fail to pass on what we have learned, there comes a gradual digression simply because future leaders have not learned these things. 

So then, the remedy is simple and like so many things “Bible”, it is so simple that it is often overlooked. The remedy is this; back to the basics, which is “the truth once delivered to the saints.”

If my sermon does not teach someone something I have failed. Stories are OK as illustrations, but to comprise a whole sermon based on stories is, in my opinion, wrong. Topical preaching has its place, but it can and should also teach the hearers.

• Members

In preaching, I like to see passages preached in their context, with accurate definitions of words, explaining the scriptures, and then making application to the hearers. 

I find it rather frustrating when there is a lack of attention to detail and an honest handling of the text of scripture.