• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The 7th Shemita is here

• Members

I've heard it preached the verse in Amos is referring to the time (about 400 years) between the end of the Old Covenant and what we know as the New Covenant.

For 400 years there was no new revelation from God. God sent forth no prophets. Then John the Baptist, the voice of one crying in the wilderness arrived. Until John, there had been four centuries of famine of hearing the Word of God.

• Members

I've heard it preached the verse in Amos is referring to the time (about 400 years) between the end of the Old Covenant and what we know as the New Covenant.

For 400 years there was no new revelation from God. God sent forth no prophets. Then John the Baptist, the voice of one crying in the wilderness arrived. Until John, there had been four centuries of famine of hearing the Word of God.

Yet there were 14 books written, for historical info, during most of that time, to fill the gap and show God never gave up on his followers. No famine there. There were always those men who followed the Lord in every century, and men of God to preach.

Never was there a "400 years of silence" like most modern preachers teach.

Just because people call it 'no new revelation' doesn't mean men didn't preach the coming Messiah.

Besides, if that kinda thinking were true, what about the 1900 years of silence since the first century AD?

Edited by Genevanpreacher
spelling and more thoughts to express :D

• Members

God continually judges the world and markets continually go up and down. Thankfully, this world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through!

We went shopping yesterday. We have two or three weeks of good in the house; which would last longer in an emergency and we rationed. Regardless, I trust the Lord to meet our needs today, next week, next month, next year, next decade, however long we are here.

I'm looking forward to that Great Supper in store for us when we are with Jesus!!

• Members

OH NO ERIC!!! IT'S ALMOST UPON US!!! AAAHHHGGG!!!

*chuckle*

[I sure hope nothing happens, but when nothing does happen, I am sure you will find out something that is just as equal to imagine, for your next adventure into the un-prophetical version of the 'EJB'* style of bible study.]

*Eric James Bible.

• Members

To all,

I knew this post would draw much condemnation. I have lived though many times of shemita reward and judgment at our family quarry. I would tell people that if our business got a great job the economy was going to crash. The last one was a mall construction job. I never knew why it was happening until I read Jonathan Cahn's Mystery of the Shemita.

To all you visitors it is likely that the economy is about to crash again because September will be the end of the shemita year again.

By the way I am bidding on the largest job that I have bid on in seven years. If we get it look out!

Don't try to tell me there is nothing to the shemita, I have lived it.

Wow. Eric? You are gonna let someone who isn't even a Baptist reveal some 'truth' to you?

"Since Shmita has not been observed formally for many centuries, we do not have that much to rely on. But there are vibrant roots deep in the soil of our tradition that are ready to give forth sweet fruits if we can nurture them and tend them with respect, curiosity, and creativity."

Wow! What about the seven?

That quote is from the "Hazon Shmita Sourcebook" 1st edition, August 2013.

The booklet is 108 pages of information about the Jewish community leaders trying to get the plan rolling to actually start Shmita again after many centuries of it not being observed.

Their timeline to start it?  They were hoping the 2014 year would be the start. The date? Sept. 24, 2014.

Their time to engage their schedule of observing the actual Shmita? Sept. 13, 2015 - Sept. 25, 2022.  (page ix Preface)

Very interesting booklet!

Just thought I would repost this for you Eric. Please reread.

• Members

A small, 'Scott' type of quote, from the above Shmita Sourcebook - 

The one long cycle of Jewish life that remains relatively unexplored is the cycle of Shmita. The sabbatical year is no less central in the Torah than is Shabbat itself. Six days you should work, and on the seventh you should rest; six years you should work the land, and engage in commerce; in the seventh year (somehow) the land should rest, you should rest, and debts should be annulled. After 49 days, seven cycles of seven, the 50th day is Shavuot. And after 49 years, seven cycles of seven, the 50th is Yovel – the Jubilee year. In a formal halachic sense – in terms of Jewish law – most of the halachot of Shmita only apply in Israel. In practical terms, therefore, Shmita becomes headline news once every seven years when, invariably, there are arguments about how it should be observed in practice in the modern land and state of Israel. There is a good deal of work in Hebrew about Shmita, what it means, how it can and should be observed, and so on. Even so, inside Israel Shmita is mostly the intellectual property of the orthodox and ultraorthodox. Until very recently, few non-orthodox Israeli Jews have engaged much with Shmita, either as an idea or as a potential range of practices. Outside Israel, Shmita remains obscure. In the last two Shmita Years – in 2000-2001, and in 2007-2008 – I’m aware of a number of synagogues, mostly orthodox, which held study sessions on Shmita. Beyond a few one-off learning sessions: not much. It was in response to this, in December 2007, following a keynote given by Nati Passow of Jewish Farm School at Hazon’s second Food Conference at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center, that I said that we would launch a Shmita Project. Its goal would be – and remains – simply to put Shmita back on the agenda of the Jewish people; and in due course, through us, to start to seed it as an idea in wider public awareness, beyond the bounds of Jewish life. There are, I think, two broad – and somewhat distinct, albeit overlapping – ways for us to engage with Shmita. One is, in a sense, instrumental; the second has a deeper kind of intellectual integrity, but may also be vaguer. The instrumental use is simply about putting Shmita literally back on the calendar. Even in non-halachic Jewish communities, Shabbat is still different from other days of the week. Jews go to a Seder, or eat matzah on Pesach, even if they don’t keep all of the halachot of Pesach. So Shmita ought, in the first instance, to come back into active Jewish life as a distinct time frame – regardless of the content with which we actually mark it. I mean by this, things like: • Using the time from now until the next Shmita Year (which starts at Rosh Hashanah 5775, that is, on September 24th, 2014) as a distinct time-period in relation to Shmita: learning about it, getting people excited about it, thinking about how the Shmita Year could be different; and doing this in advance of the year itself. This involves publicly framing the Shmita Year as a year distinct in the life of a particular Jewish institution. How could or should we be different, during this year, than during the other six years of the cycle? • Then using the Shmita Year itself not merely to be different, in some way, than in the previous years; but also – for the first time in modern Jewish history; perhaps for the first time since Second Temple times – using the Shmita Year itself partly to start a public conversation about the entire next seven-year Shmita Cycle; • And then entering into a full seven-year cycle, from September 13th, 2015 to September 25th, 2022, with Shmita firmly on the calendar of Jewish life – with a sense of seven-year goals for institutions, being worked on through the full seven-year period, and with the seventh year itself being both a celebration, a culmination, and a period of rest and reflection, following the preceding six years. The second way for us to engage Shmita is indeed to engage intellectually (and indeed emotionally, creatively and spiritually) with the texts themselves: the primary, secondary and tertiary texts that introduce, explicate, and comment on the various ideas encompassed by the idea of “Shmita.

• Members

Don't worry, as soon as Y2K gets here the grid will go down, the markets crash, random nuclear missile launches will occur, there will be mass riots, civil, religious, ethnic and racial wars in the streets. Anyone without at least 2-3 years of food, water and firepower will become slaves or dead...oh, yeah, well, hmmmm...

Never mind, I guess that's one of the older doomsday scare stories that came and went 15 years ago!

• Members

How ironic that Cahn's own name rhymes with his false sayings (con!).

I come under so much fire for pointing out what this man presents. The obsessed with new and current prophecy crowd are lost in their own little world and hate anyone who dares point out anything that might burst their hot air prophecy bubbles.

Unfortunately, their constant red flag waving over the decades have turned many away from Christ.

• Members

Yet, another eye opening statement from the author of the Shmita sourcebook -

Yet, many of us, even if we are Jewishly knowledgeable, know less about Shmita than we do about other Jewish traditions. Shmita does not in practice define Jewishness like other popular rituals or time-based traditions, such as Shabbat, Yom Kippur, or Passover. This is a learning journey for many of us; not just individually, but collectively. Apart from provisions in relation to money, Shmita traditionally applied in the land of Israel alone. So for over 2,000 years, when the Jewish people were separated from Ha’aretz – “The land”– Jewish faith and culture developed separately from the necessity, and thus AWARENESS, of Shmita.

• Members

I hope there is no stock and bond market crash! I hope the banks don't close down. I hope the world markets don't crash too. We will soon live through the last day of the shemitah year. I hope all you men are right that nothing will happen.

Every one that has extra food and cash can eat it and spend it if nothing happens, but those that don't have them won't have the food and cash if God chooses to judge the world.

• Members

Eric, First, don't panic!!! Philippians 4:6-7 says: 6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." 7 "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

God is telling us through His words not to worry (not to be full of cares about) things of this world,  but to instead pray about anything concerning you and once you turn it over to God you should then have peace about it... not to worry more about it!!! 

And instead of worrying about all the craziness going on in the world, what are we supposed to try to keep our minds on instead? Philippians 4:8 says: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things".

I'm not trying to make fun of you, Eric, I can see your honest desire to know what wisdom God wants to give us.  I can tell you that the TV evangelists are not going to give you sound doctrine... SOME of them have SOME things biblically correct, but for the most part, they just want to part you from the money in your wallet!  So who CAN you trust???? GOD!!!! His words are found in the bible, and studying the bible is how we learn the wisdom God wants to impart to us! There really are no shortcuts there, we have to read and even study the bible! How do I know that? And how do I know HOW we are supposed to study? God tells us in 2nd Timothy 2:15  "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

God doesn't want us to get all upset about whatever the latest wind of gossip is. Hebrews 13:9 "Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines...." God doesn't want us to just take someone else's word for things, he wants us to come to Him in prayer to ask Him to help us learn when we study the bible.  If we honestly come to Him with pure intentions He will guide us with His Holy Spirit.   But before any of that can happen we must first be saved.  

1st Corinthians 1:18 "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

And 1st Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.".

So we can see that first one must be saved... have accepted Jesus free gift of eternal salvation.  I hope you don't mind if I ask you if you've done that? If your answer is "no" or "you're not sure", then PLEASE send me a private message and I will be more than happy to help you know for certain how to "be saved" and have eternal salvation through Jesus Christ!  If your answer is "yes" and you're sure of your salvation, may I suggest you pray and ask Him for spiritual guidance? 

I'm not trying to belittle you in any way, and I sure hope you don't think I am... I just want you to know that the bible (God's word) is how a Christian should try to get their "wisdom", and not from worldly TV shows or youtube videos.  Not  that ALL tv shows or youtube videos are bad... I've seen a FEW (very few, lol) that truly glorify the name of the Lord. I'm just saying that the same time you spent watching a tv program or a youtube video may have been used to read the bible! We should really take advantage of reading and studying the bible here in the US while it's still a freedom.  There are people suffering severe persecution and even being killed just for reading the bible in countries in the middle east and elsewhere! And this sie is also a great place to fellowship with others about the bible... we can learn/help each other with some of the more difficult passages of the bible here on OB. 

Once again, I'm not trying to deride you, I truly just want to help you grow and learn in the Lord. And I'm sorry to say that the "Shemetah" is NOT in the bible! There are biblical "sabbath" years in the bible, but those were for the Jews under the Law. If you're a born again Christian, you are NOT under the law, but under grace!