• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The 7th Shemita is here

• Members
On 10/29/2016 at 1:35 PM, HappyChristian said:

Semantics - none taken? I think you misunderstood - semantics simply means "the meaning of something."  

Yes it does - but only in context, of which nothing was taken.

Semantics has different types - 

"the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including [1] formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, [2] lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and [3] conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning."

Atleast that's what I read on the internet.

You stated  - "I'm sorry, but I didn't see anywhere that John indicated that anyone was "lost". And he didn't say not "getting" what he said was sin. He said ignoring it was. I know, maybe that sounds like semantics, but let's be accurate here."

So no, no semantics at all - I meant what I said - and you didn't represent what I meant or said.

I stated 'lost baptists', as in baptists that just don't know what they are doing, not salvation-wise. And when I stated that we just don't 'get' it - c'mon, surely you understand that I meant 'understand it' - right?

I think others 'got my drift' - and understood I was being figurative. 

With that said - I agree with the rest of your statement and am glad he is gone.

• Members
On 28/10/2016 at 0:18 PM, JohnBaptistHenry@yahoo.com said:

Antoninus was co-emperor with Lucius Verus from 161 to 169 AD. In 161 AD the Parthians ousted the king of Armenia, a Roman ally and launched an attack on Syria. That winter the Roman Senate gave it's assent to send Verus to direct the Parthian war in person. Verus arrived in Antioch, Syria in 162 AD.  His generals captured Seleucia and Ctesiphon in 165 AD bringing the campaign to an end.  Verus returned to Rome in triumph, but the returning army carried with them a plague which spread through the Roman Empire between 165 and 180 AD.  The epidemic was named, The Antonine Plague. It ultimately killed an estimated five million people including both co-emperors. It devastated the Roman Empire from Asia Minor to as far as the Rhine.

There was a plague that spread throughout the world at the end of WW1, spread by returning soldiers,or some reports say that it began in North America, and taken to Europe by troops,and spread faster by returning troops.  It was first believed to be a new and strange and virulent form of pneumonia, but later recognised to be flu, with went with the pneumonia.  It killed more people than the war.

Was that a sign?